Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 54 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Essington will be pea hearted campaigners. Nothing more certain.
Season 4 Success GIF by The Office

Seen enough, we need a big clean out of players like cumbo, Coulthard at the lower end, and players past it to be retiring like Martin and grimes at the other end means we need multiple good young players coming in. I'd be all in on anyone who brings us 2 or more 1st and 2nd round draft picks, and a replacement for JGTI from free agency. I think it will lift our quality massively. Still reckon given its a midfielder draft we let hopper know we can pay his wage for him to play for a club that needs him.

I dunno man. Trading D Rioli doesn't feel like the smartest move.

I mean I wouldn’t open the door for him to leave but if he’s going anyways, at least he’s doing us a big favour with his form. Halfbacks are almost always overvalued when they are in top form and that is excellent for us trading with GC.

Right now a trade like Rioli + 33 for 7 + 12 is looking highly likely. But we could push it further for other pick upgrades especially if we help with contract $$$. Then we can potentially look at a half back replacement like travaglia with one of those picks.

I dunno man. Trading D Rioli doesn't feel like the smartest move.
Godfather offer or hold him to his contract

Being ruthless works both ways… moving players on but also holding firm on the players we need to keep

Unless Rioli can look the officials in the eye and tell them he NEEDs to move interstate for genuine reasons we tell him he is required and expect him to honour the contract that he signed

What I will say is, I hate this narrative of "X Club only has picks 6, 15, 17 etc" whatever it may be. This can apply to Gold Coast, West Coast or Freo - or whoever is after our contracted players.

These players are HEAVILY contracted - not just 1 year.

We tell these clubs "you go into the market and you get the picks that we want!" It's as simple as that and don't call back until you meet these demands. We completely control this scenario and never accept any pick because 'that's what they have'.

I don't think we've seen in recent history clubs coming after two players both contracted for 3-4 years. We hold all the cards and if they have to pay record price, then so be it.

Rioli should cost GCS both their 1st round picks AND a future 1st.

Bolton should cost Freo two 1sts this year (which get pushed back) AND a future 1st.

Both players are contracted for 3-4 years - pay overs or **** off. Simple.

What I will say is, I hate this narrative of "X Club only has picks 6, 15, 17 etc" whatever it may be. This can apply to Gold Coast, West Coast or Freo - or whoever is after our contracted players.

We tell these clubs "you go into the market and you get the picks that we want!" It's as simple as that and don't call back until you meet these demands. We completely control this scenario and never accept any pick because 'that's what they have'.

I don't think we've seen in recent history clubs coming after two players both contracted for 3-4 years. We hold all the cards and if they have to pay record price, then so be it.

Bolton should cost Freo two 1sts this year (which get pushed back) AND a future 1st.

Just to reiterate, I think the media is forgetting how long these players are contracted for.

We would obviously send some picks back as change but we're not trading these our longest contracted players unless it's heavily in our favour.

If we did, it sends the message for years to come that all our players are always available for trade.

Club must be strong here.

GWS made Geelong hand over 3 first round picks for an out of contract FREE AGENT in Jeremy Cameron.

What I'm saying isn't outrageous or unrealistic if the club is strong enough to make a statement that our contracts are actually worth something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely bloody right Roks - I've been posting this sort of thinking for weeks.

But too many gaslighters want to just bend over and take what they're given. As if the Suns and Dockers are suddenly destination clubs, and Richmond have somehow become minnows because our onfield is going through the natural bottoming out.

Fact is, high draft picks have less currency for teams who have an immediate need for elite 26-28 year olds to unlock the September code in the next 2-3 years. Especially those clubs craving some semblance of success after a history of inadequacy, frustration, non-performance and existing in the shadow of far more powerful and successful crosstown rivals.

I'll say it again - to many opposition clubs, Baker is not worth a top 6-8 pick. Rioli is not worth two top 6-12 picks. Bolton is not worth three picks under 20. The likes of Essendon, Bulldogs, Geelong etc probably wouldn't fork out that much, and I'd hope we wouldn't either (unless we too were filling a desperate need to complete a premiership puzzle).

But to clubs like the Dockers, and especially the Suns who have plenty of form in overpaying at the trade table/draft by necessity, we need to capitalise on this desperation. When's the next time they'll get a crack at premiership players with 5-8 years left in them who are just what they need, and that want to move to their state and to join their playing list voluntarily. Not just veterans in their twilight looking for a testimonial year or two either.

Pay up campaigners, or we walk away and keep our premiership stars as one-club champions.

Absolutely bloody right Roks - I've been posting this sort of thinking for weeks.

But too many gaslighters want to just bend over and take what they're given. As if the Suns and Dockers are suddenly destination clubs, and Richmond have somehow become minnows because our onfield is going through the natural bottoming out.

Fact is, high draft picks have less currency for teams who have an immediate need for elite 26-28 year olds to unlock the September code in the next 2-3 years. Especially those clubs craving some semblance of success after a history of inadequacy, frustration, non-performance and existing in the shadow of far more powerful and successful crosstown rivals.

I'll say it again - to many opposition clubs, Baker is not worth a top 6-8 pick. Rioli is not worth two top 6-12 picks. Bolton is not worth three picks under 20. The likes of Essendon, Bulldogs, Geelong etc probably wouldn't fork out that much, and I'd hope we wouldn't either (unless we too were filling a desperate need to complete a premiership puzzle).

But to clubs like the Dockers, and especially the Suns who have plenty of form in overpaying at the trade table/draft by necessity, we need to capitalise on this desperation. When's the next time they'll get a crack at premiership players with 5-8 years left in them who are just what they need, and that want to move to their state and to join their playing list voluntarily. Not just veterans in their twilight looking for a testimonial year or two either.

Pay up campaigners, or we walk away and keep our premiership stars as one-club champions.

I've still got my eye on Eagles here. It seems they have already made an offer to Graham. They Have already drafted Harley, Hewitt and Ginbey in the first round across the last 2 drafts. Plus 3 other top 30 picks. Also Chesser at pick 14 in 2021 + pick 31 in that draft. Then Allen and Waterman going strongly from earlier drafts who or 24 & 26 and looking strong.

They have cap space to burn. There has surely got to be some chance they make a massive play for either or both of Bolton and Baker. Plus potentially Steely Green and Blight. They have picks 3, 23 and potentially a future first rounder to play with. I could see them giving up the big draft picks and just going bang bang bang, Graham(FA) Bolton and Baker, and potentially getting something back to go after a key WA player like Bo Allen in the 2024 renewal of the NAB AFL Draft.

If they get seriously involved then obviously it adds pressure to Freo to add value to any offers they make as well. So it suits us. A move along these lines could also help Eagles attract a better coaching prospect as well.

We would get some really high end picks over the next 2 drafts, plus a load of other valuable picks.

I certainly don't think it is just Freo or nobody we are going to get great offers from for our WA players. And surely Freo would embarrass themselves if Eagles pulled off something like that while Freo holds so much draft capital.

We are so well positioned with all of this, can't really think of a precedent where you use picks like 15, 29, 53 and rookie pick, get multiple flags out of all of them, then get a bonanza return in trades a few years later, potentially something like 3(Bolton), 8(Rioli), 10(Eagles F1 for Baker), 22(Graham) & probably an extra pick or two, but these trades are going to get very complex as Eagles likely want a pick around 10-12 for Allen, and Suns will potentially give up loads to get ahead of a Lombard bid.

Unless the offrs are god father offers for Bolton & Rioli we keep them
Gold Coast #6 & #12 for Rioli
Fremantle #8 & #13 for Bolton
Eagles 2 x 2nd rounders for Baker
Both those deals for Rioli and Bolton aren't godfather offers IMO. Throw in a future pick each, then we can start talking.

Those are offers clubs get for players out of contract or 1 year left. Both these players have 3-4 years left.

If my house is for sale, I take the market rate but if someone knocks on my door and tries to buy my house when it isn't even for sale - they better offer me something astronomical before I tell them to gtfo my property.

Unless the offrs are god father offers for Bolton & Rioli we keep them
Gold Coast #6 & #12 for Rioli
Fremantle #8 & #13 for Bolton
Eagles 2 x 2nd rounders for Baker

If GC offer pick-6 for Rioli and nothing more, then if Rioli wants to go it’s a done deal. At this stage of our rebuild you want Rioli or one of : Smith, Draper, Smillie, FOS, Langford or Lalor?

If GC offer more that’s great, but if we refuse pick-6 just because we want to make a stand that’ll set us back. Pick-6 is already overs. Izak Rankine who was 22yo went to Crows for pick-5 …(yes, I know he was out of contract).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If GC offer pick-6 for Rioli and nothing more, then if Rioli wants to go it’s a done deal. At this stage of our rebuild you want Rioli or one of : Smith, Draper, Smillie, FOS, Langford or Lalor?

If GC offer more that’s great, but if we refuse pick-6 just because we want to make a stand that’ll set us back. Pick-6 is already overs. Izak Rankine who was 22yo went to Crows for pick-5 …(yes, I know he was out of contract).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
How is it a done deal !!!

He is contracted and worth more to Gold Coast and Richmond has to play hard ball with the deal
We simply dont traade unless its way overs

These guys throw away picks like confetti and we MUST stand our ground
they gave away #7 to off load $300k excess cap and paid #2 for Weller

Both those deals for Rioli and Bolton aren't godfather offers IMO. Throw in a future pick each, then we can start talking.

Those are offers clubs get for players out of contract or 1 year left. Both these players have 3-4 years left.

If my house is for sale, I take the market rate but if someone knocks on my door and tries to buy my house when it isn't even for sale - they better offer me something astronomical before I tell them to gtfo my property.
Im taking the deals i put foward
never going to get 3 1st rounders in that range for any player

If GC offer pick-6 for Rioli and nothing more, then if Rioli wants to go it’s a done deal.
Sounds fair enough. What I think about it might be way different to what the club thinks. They may be hellbent on keeping him so may demand way more.

The other thing to add to that is that it's not just pick 6. It's also 600-700k freed up in the cap.

Lets not forget there are multiple ways to rebuild these days

whilst we will get picks for the players that move we also need to make sure we pay as little as possible if anything of their salaries

dusty gone
Bolton if goes
Rioli & Baker if they leave
Lynch contract coming to an end

we will have so much cap space and with the introduction of cap trading we can get more picks for the cap space in 2 years to cintinue the influx of top picks in the rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back