• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clubs can manipulate salaries to suit purpose
Tyrone Vickery is a great example as well as Daniher

Hawks just need to pat Battle $900k x 3 years to get Band 1
JG will get $500k - $550k x 4 years that will get him band 3

I think most of the loopholes have been fixed, even though I don’t trust the AFL. It’s meant to be $$$, years and age. A $2.7m contract should not be getting band 1 compo, min $5m.

Wasn’t Brando’s contract $600k/year for 5 years and we only got band 3 - that’s like $750k+ a year now.

My understanding is Hobbs is just an in and under mid with no real outside game or little ability to get the ball in transition ….. this seems like the last kind of midfielder we need
Straight swap with Hopper.Like for like but lot less salary.
Bombers are stupid enough to think they're only a kick away from a flag.

I highly doubt GC will have #5 end of the season

GC v Richmond
Carlton v St Kilda

Battle compo there pick will be #8 when taken

#8 & #16/18 is overs for Rioli but if we contribute $200k a year it balances it out
Saints will roll Bloos.

I think most of the loopholes have been fixed, even though I don’t trust the AFL. It’s meant to be $$$, years and age. A $2.7m contract should not be getting band 1 compo, min $5m.

Wasn’t Brando’s contract $600k/year for 5 years and we only got band 3 - that’s like $750k+ a year now.
Ellis should have been band 2 but the AFL ripped us off due to winning the flag
$700k would easily be band 2 this year

But people bringing up Weller and Bowes is not relevant at all. Bowes was a necessary salary dump to clean up their salary cap and retain other players, whilst Weller was a desperate club doing whatever was required to trade for a player who wanted to join them when everyone else wanted to leave… it was 7-years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nothings changed.
Infact they're more desperate to just make finals.
They'll pay don't you worry.

Morro, he turns 28 on April 16. This year that would've been Round 6. So he's not 28 the start of the season.

He'll be 31 when he's starting his 5th season with his new club. That's hardly an unreasonable age to be still playing really good footy in this day and age. In fact, it's probably more likely than not.

Why are you so intent on devaluing him? I mean, I can see why you're trying to offset the chance of disappointment with the trade, that's reasonable, people do that all the time. But there's a pretty decent chance here that we can cash in on the desperation of his destination club (never thought I'd ever use those last two words to describe the Suns 🤣)

Read the earlier posts clearly explaining why Gold Coast Suns need to pay premium draft currency for Rioli. I'll include one of mine below.

From August 3rd

Even overlooking the fact that they have historically devalued top end draft picks by giving up their own Pick #7 to offload Bowes, or parting with their Pick #2 for Weller, or any number of other trade mindbogglers over the years, there are a host of other rationales for them paying "overs" for someone like Dan Rioli.

We need to look at the trade through the Suns lens. This is a team absolutely desperate for finals action, and desperate to make the play for Dimma be and appear worthwhile. If this Dimma experiment flops for them, it's difficult to see them making serious ground on the Lions or in Queensland at all for the next decade.

Now has to be their time. Ultimately all of these "toys" are going to demand an increase in their salary for their second (or third) contract that will stretch their coffers even further, and suddenly another series of exits will happen - Tassie for one will be throwing the cheque book around big time in 2026 and onwards, let alone Collingwood and Richmond with massive war chests due to legends retiring and growing discontent in their respective massive fanbases.

ATEOTD, Dan Rioli is contracted, is AA quality, has four or five strong years of footy left in him (far longer than their patience with Dimma if they haven't franked their draft outlay by then), is incredibly durable, and has that extra special x-factor in that he's indigenous ... and better still, viewed as an indigenous leader.

The importance of this last point should never be underestimated in a footy club, especially a northern Australian club who've traditionally struggled to get the best out of (and hang onto) their indigenous lads - Jeffrey, Lemmens, Rosas, Rankine, Nicholls, JMartin, Sumner, Patrick, Garlett, Hall, Bennell, Wilkinson, and probably quite a few more I can't think of atm, have all under-achieved or gone wayward at the Suns. Harbrow was a wonderful leader, but he was no Rioli. That name alone carries serious currency.

The Suns MUST pay overs. If it was the Bulldogs or Essendon, at best we could ask for is probably a Pick #8-12, because that's how things work down here. But the reality is the trading climate differs significantly when the Suns are involved, especially in their current predicament. And if Richmond were to chip in a significant proportion of Dan's salary at the Suns, which is entirely feasible and reasonable given our imminent exits, then this augurs for an even better deal for us.

A draft pick 6-8 AND another pick 12-15 should be the absolute minimum for our starting point. And if someone weighs in here and says "no way he's worth that" then I'd probably agree with them.

But that's not the point - all of these factors listed above lean towards us demanding that.

The Gold Coast Suns are at risk of being in the shadow of big brother Brisbane Lions for another decade unless they improve their results dramatically and quickly. Dimma doesn't have 4-5 years out of real top end contention to play with like he did at Tigerland.

No he's not Jeremy Cameron. Different sort of player and role entirely.

But he's no more likely to get injured than Cameron was when he was traded in at 27. Yet you seem a bit caught up with Daniel's lack of durability, as if the chances of him getting a career-ending injury should lower his trade value any more than another 27 year old?
If they really want/need Rioli I guess 2 1st rounders is high side of market value. Usually have a late pick going back.

Funnily enough, I'm an hour from the Goldie, and AFL football is booming this past decade ~despite Suns failures My area play in SEQld league. Standard is quite good, got ex AFL players to coach. Sean Rehn at Byron & ex Essendon Dean Solomon at my local club.

Suns players like Chol, come down for a clinic every year. The Suns junior development is huge, AFL give em millions and its reaping rewards if you look at the last couple of drafts. Local kids top 20 in the AFL draft who have zero interest in moving to South. Gold Coast Brisbane rivalry is non existent not like Perth/Freo or Adelaide/Port

I am not devaluing him, I could also ask why are you and others so hell bent on over valuing him?

Its clearly just a difference in opinion, but April is usually a month after the season starts so its basically the start of the season IMO.

I am so confident that I am closer to his value than what is being bandied around in here that I am posting my opinion as fact. Book mark this and other posts, GC want him, he will likely end up there and it wont be for 3 firsts with one of them being pick 5.

I love Dan, one of my favs, but prepare to be disappointed if you are expecting an offer such as 5, 14 and 22. I would go as far to say, that the AFL would step in at this point and drug test the entire FD at the Suns.
Not worth 3.
But 5 & 14 we pay some salary
14 & 22 if we don't
Think about it for a sec.

Not worth 3.
But 5 & 14 we pay some salary
14 & 22 if we don't
Think about it for a sec.
I dont have to think about it, I think it will be a combo of 2 picks, with some additional steak knives options, so you and I agree FWIW.

I am also hearing, we have 2 players at GC that we like and have expressed an interest in. Both fill a need but neither have indicated a desire to leave and both contracted.

I dont have to think about it, I think it will be a combo of 2 picks, with some additional steak knives options, so you and I agree FWIW.
Yes and no we agree.
2nd option 14 & 22 won't be an option for the suns because they can't afford Dans salary without us paying % of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they really want/need Rioli I guess 2 1st rounders is high side of market value. Usually have a late pick going back.

Funnily enough, I'm an hour from the Goldie, and AFL football is booming this past decade ~despite Suns failures My area play in SEQld league. Standard is quite good, got ex AFL players to coach. Sean Rehn at Byron & ex Essendon Dean Solomon at my local club.

Suns players like Chol, come down for a clinic every year. The Suns junior development is huge, AFL give em millions and its reaping rewards if you look at the last couple of drafts. Local kids top 20 in the AFL draft who have zero interest in moving to South. Gold Coast Brisbane rivalry is non existent not like Perth/Freo or Adelaide/Port
The thing with the Gold Coast is they have a production line of academies coming through. Draft picks specifically are not a factor for them in the normal sense like with other clubs trying to get the best position to pick a specific player here and there

Spoke to a guy whose grandson played in a 17's representative game and I think he said OLD beat vic metro or vic country(can't remember which NSW/ACT won to) for 17's and of the QLD team all where either GC academy and/or Brisbane academy

Last edited:
Now I’ve heard it all… Darcy for Bolton. A semi-cooked 26 year old ruckman on a monster deal to a team a stage 1 of a rebuild.

Lol, I thought you mean't the Bulldogs Darcy before I realised you are talking about the Freo variety.

no chance, they are really desperate but that is the way they play, they corner themselves and let their egos get in the way

Ellis should have been band 2 but the AFL ripped us off due to winning the flag
$700k would easily be band 2 this year

700k is less than 4% of the salary cap in 2025.

You need to factor in the 12% increase in the salary cap from 2024 to 2025. $700k might have got band 2 last year but now that figure should be around $800k.

Now I’ve heard it all… Darcy for Bolton. A semi-cooked 26 year old ruckman on a monster deal to a team a stage 1 of a rebuild.
not to mention most overweight bloke in afl apart from mjr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back