List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
These new rule changes will make it harder for us to swap our late picks for a 1st rounder. I'm going to be pissed if Kane gets her way and it comes in for 2024 draft.
It will mean those teams who have a F/S or academy player will be less like to trade their 1st pick to us because they will need a 1st rounder to acquire the player. It plays into the hands of those teams with late first rounders and 2nd rounders more than if your near the bottom of the ladder as your not going to trade down.
What I can see happening is the 2nd round picks will become extremely valuable as those teams trying to get enough points need them so it could be possible to acquire a 1st rounder next year for 2 current 2nd rounders etc.

These new rule changes will make it harder for us to swap our late picks for a 1st rounder. I'm going to be pissed if Kane gets her way and it comes in for 2024 draft.
It will mean those teams who have a F/S or academy player will be less like to trade their 1st pick to us because they will need a 1st rounder to acquire the player. It plays into the hands of those teams with late first rounders and 2nd rounders more than if your near the bottom of the ladder as your not going to trade down.
Our club will need to upgrade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to a current top team to secure their late 1st rounder.
What I can see happening is the 2nd round picks will become extremely valuable as those teams trying to get enough points need them so it could be possible to acquire a 1st rounder next year for 2 current 2nd rounders etc.
Wouldn’t even worry about it
No chance the rules come in for this years draft
The clubs simply wouldn’t allow it

Wouldn’t even worry about it
No chance the rules come in for this years draft
The clubs simply wouldn’t allow it
Trying not to but reading articles the AFL is pushing for it this year, they are as corrupt as it comes so when they want something they just do it anyway.

Trying not to but reading articles the AFL is pushing for it this year, they are as corrupt as it comes so when they want something they just do it anyway.
I just think there will be far to much pushback from both the clubs and the aflpa because it will change a draft that clubs have already planned around

I’m sure the afl are probably pushing for it to a degree but not as much as the articles are suggesting

We have leadership in the club like Ivan Maric, Stev Morris and multiple other players still left on the list. Leadership doesn't normally cost you a top 10 pick.
At the end of this year, if the expected retirements occur and we dont trade anyone we will have Baker, Lynch, Graham, Nank and Vlas. Realistically, I have only seen Baker, Lynch and Vlastuin be able to continually stand up and put the team on their backs. We lose Baker and lynch gets injured again then we really only have Vlas on the field.

Leadership doesnt cost a top 10 pick for sure but the old adage of 1 in the hand is better of 2 in the bush is still true and is a reason not to lose Baker.

Worth a phone call to Shannon Neales management? Dropped again for Hawkins. Wont get a game as long as he and Cameron are at the cats. Solid numbers at VFL level.
Cats would want a first round pick and a holiday house or a hobby farm on the Great Ocean Road. Given how many players they have recruited on unders they must be running low on properties

Freo currently pick 6, 11 and 16. I hope we aggressively target pick 6, even if we have to give them an early 2nd round pick back plus Baker.

Say Baker and 24 for pick 6. Then if we can bundle up the other 2nd and 3rds to Blues for their first pick, as it stands, we'd have picks 4, 6 & 13 in the draft.
They won't have pick 6. That's the Pies pick, and will drop down the order as they recover from their slow start to the year.

I just think there will be far to much pushback from both the clubs and the aflpa because it will change a draft that clubs have already planned around

I’m sure the afl are probably pushing for it to a degree but not as much as the articles are suggesting
Even the AFL will surely not change the trade/draft on the fly?

yeah nah, they are likely to give it a shot. thoughtful prepared changes is not their thing

For those who are concerned about a lack of leadership and older players at the club if we:-
  • trade Baker, Rioli, Graham
  • let Dusty and Broad walk
  • retire Grimes and Prestia

Consider the age profile of the following 11 remaining players:-

Vlastuin 30
Short 28
Nank 29
Lynch 31
Hopper 27
Taranto 26
Bolton 25
Balta 24
McIntosh 30
Young 25
Miller 24

Plenty of older heads and plenty coming through in the 21-23 age bracket too.

Freo currently pick 6, 11 and 16. I hope we aggressively target pick 6, even if we have to give them an early 2nd round pick back plus Baker.

Say Baker and 24 for pick 6. Then if we can bundle up the other 2nd and 3rds to Blues for their first pick, as it stands, we'd have picks 4, 6 & 13 in the draft.
Nah they can just give us pick 6 and probably a fringe player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way too far overs for Baker. If any of the large numbers being thrown around are true then they value him at a 2 first rounders at a minimum.

the AFL is a professional world now (except Essendon)
If Baker wants to go home, the Tigers wont cry about it and will get a fair deal for him.
If any of our players want to leave, I wouldn’t stop it. We want players to want to be apart of our success to come.

Ideal trade/free agency scenarios for possible departing players.

Baker to Fremantle for best 2024 R1 pick and 2025 R1 pick

Rioli to Suns for best 2024 R1 pick and 2025 R1 pick

Graham to either SA club for a 2nd round compo

That would give us 3 x R1, 3 x R2 & 3 x R3 picks before we do any other trading. We could then use those R2 & 3 picks to then target some ready made young talent that we could use to fill some list needs.

It would also mean that we head into the 2025 draft with 3 x R1 picks, which would put us in position to add 6 round 1 picks in a 2 year span, which gives the rebuild a real jump start before Tasmania even gets a look at the talent. It would also mean that in the 2025, 2026 & 2027 trade periods we could trade our first round picks for top end talent to top off the list build.

Having said all that, I believe that Baker will be the only one of the 3 that is likely to leave. I just can't see Daniel going anywhere and the club seems to really value Graham as a leader moving forward so I'm expecting they'll be looking to keep him, which no doubt won't please a lot of posters.

Way too far overs for Baker. If any of the large numbers being thrown around are true then they value him at a 2 first rounders at a minimum.

Regardless what anyone thinks, Baker is our Vice Captain and getting offered a huge salary in a trade.

Cost is the same we paid for Taranto who was also out of contract.

Two 1st rounders, which is the equivalent to a top 5 pick. One or the other.

Shouldn't accept anything else.
The only chance we have of getting two first rounders for Liam Baker is if Freos 1st round picks tied to Pies and Port end up being late first rounders and we swap them for Baker and a pick. Eg ~15 & ~16 for Baker and 24.

We need to end up with two top 10 picks as a minimum come draft time. Plus another couple top 20ish.

That might sound stupid but it may not be. The suns don’t need early draft picks so maybe they would hand over three picks for Rioli as long as we gave pack enough points for their academy kids
That was exactly my point

The Suns have another 2 kids this year they will take and Lombard is considered a top 5 pick which pretty much knoxks out their first 2 picks.
"2024, there is more Suns Academy talent on the horizon with the likes of Leonardo Lombard and Lachlan Gulbin who will be pressing their respective draft cases in 2024"

Then you have the Rioli interest
3 x Premiership player contracted long term and young enough to get 5-6 years whilst they are in a premiership window would demand a pick 5-6 (Adam Saad) was same age and had achieved nothing was traded for #6 + 3rd rounder

Why should we give anything back ??

Adam Saad - #6+3rd rounder
Schulz or what ever his name is - Pies 1st rounder
Hopper / Toranto - We all know what they cost

#6 + 2nd rounder should be the demand from freo

Me thinks at the end of the year dockers will have pick 8( there own)
Pick 12 (collingwood) and pick 15 (power)
We will trade baby bogan baker plus our second round pick tied to Fremantle ( pick 28) and in return we get pick 12 and 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back