List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading is obviously not your strong point is it champ?

If we’re talking about delusional, Liam Baker for pick 3 might very well be the dictionary definition of delusional.

There’s some very reasonable and balanced Tigers posters on here, you seem like a better fit for the Cats or Bombers.
If the AFL doesn't set their good will with the club's recruiting departments on fire and makes the bidding changes from next year, there could be a world where a trade like;
Richmond: Baker + pick 14 - 18 (Say we trade with Carlton or Bris to give them points for their F/S) + 72
West Coast: Pick 3 + 59

According to the Draft Guru pick calculator you are essentially trading Baker for just pick 11 if you get back pick 18 (13 if you get pick 14 back). Just pick 11/13 for Baker is probably around the mark.

This is all moot though based on how many picks Richmond are required to take in the draft depending on retirements. We may have to try and fill list spots in prep for retirements through the midseason picks.

If the AFL doesn't set their good will with the club's recruiting departments on fire and makes the bidding changes from next year, there could be a world where a trade like;
Richmond: Baker + pick 14 - 18 (Say we trade with Carlton or Bris to give them points for their F/S) + 72
West Coast: Pick 3 + 59

According to the Draft Guru pick calculator you are essentially trading Baker for just pick 11 if you get back pick 18 (13 if you get pick 14 back). Just pick 11/13 for Baker is probably around the mark.

This is all moot though based on how many picks Richmond are required to take in the draft depending on retirements. We may have to try and fill list spots in prep for retirements through the midseason picks.
If we could get a KPD (O’Farrell, Mraz, Trainor) with 14-18 maybe but I really doubt we’d trade down from the top 3 and only end up with one late 1R pick from it (and Baker). I certainly wouldn’t do it.

As you say it’s all moot, if he goes deal with Freo there’s an obvious easily managed trade there and they can afford him draft wise. Otherwise sign him for a year and we’ll come knocking in FA. You guys will be able to get Carlton’s 1st by swapping your later picks so they have Campo x2 points so I really don’t think you’ll be hitting the draft with more than 4-5 picks after that.

Don’t suppose you or anyone on this board have any knowledge of the conversations had last draft where we jumped Essendon to get Clay Hall (38) for pick 40 (Kane Mc) and our F3?

If we could get a KPD (O’Farrell, Mraz, Trainor) with 14-18 maybe but I really doubt we’d trade down from the top 3 and only end up with one late 1R pick from it (and Baker). I certainly wouldn’t do it.

As you say it’s all moot, if he goes deal with Freo there’s an obvious easily managed trade there and they can afford him draft wise. Otherwise sign him for a year and we’ll come knocking in FA. You guys will be able to get Carlton’s 1st by swapping your later picks so they have Campo x2 points so I really don’t think you’ll be hitting the draft with more than 4-5 picks after that.

Don’t suppose you or anyone on this board have any knowledge of the conversations had last draft where we jumped Essendon to get Clay Hall (38) for pick 40 (Kane Mc) and our F3?
I don't know if anyone on the board would have that knowledge. WA is basically a different country information wise.

It could end up potentially if there is a big contract on offer from West Coast (you have to spend the money somewhere) that Baker chooses you guys. Your need for a key defender is something I hadn't factored so potentially it could be
Richmond: Baker + 24 + 41 + 42 + 50 + 60 + 62
West Coast: 3 + 59
Carlton: 16 + Lewis Young + 33

How it ends up
Richmond: 3 + 59
West Coast: Baker + Lewis Young + 16
Carlton: 24 + 41 + 42 + 50 + 60 + 62

West Coast goes into the draft with 16 + 23 + 77 + 95 + 113.
Richmond enter the draft with 3 + 4 + 32 + 59 + 72 + 78 + 96

We should be able to get a good kid with that draft hand.

If we need to deal with Freo then it could end up being
Richmond: Baker + 32 + 41 + 42
Fremantle: 12 + 15 (Freo end up 8th and Port are 4th)
Carlton: 16

Ends up being
Richmond: 12 + 15
Fremantle: Baker + 16
Carlton: 32 + 41 + 42

If we can then trade with Brisbane (assuming they end up second with 17) Richmond could go further. The rest of the picks we have that have points would be able to match a pick 7 with a discount.

Trades are simple and Tigers enter the draft with 4 + 12 + 15 + 17 + 78. Again not a bad draft haul but is way too pie in the sky

I don't know if anyone on the board would have that knowledge. WA is basically a different country information wise.

It could end up potentially if there is a big contract on offer from West Coast (you have to spend the money somewhere) that Baker chooses you guys. Your need for a key defender is something I hadn't factored so potentially it could be

How it ends up

Ends up being

If we can then trade with Brisbane (assuming they end up second with 17) Richmond could go further. The rest of the picks we have that have points would be able to match a pick 7 with a discount.

Trades are simple and Tigers enter the draft with 4 + 12 + 15 + 17 + 78. Again not a bad draft haul but is way too pie in the sky
Appreciate the work that’s gone into that. We wouldn’t take Lewis Young, our KPD targets will be Busslinger and Curtin (unlikely) and we’ll take a KPD in the draft. If you could whip something up with the Crows or the Dogs then we’d look at it for sure.

I think you’re over complicating the deal with Freo, straight swap for 1R would get it done but on paper it looks ok except I don’t think Freo would include 12 and instead 16 would go straight to you from Carlton.

I value Baker at a pick between 15 and 25 depending on his season but given Freo have 3x1R you might be able to squeeze more out of them. Of course the contract they offer him will also demonstrate Baker’s worth to them.

How it ends up

Ends up being

Reckon that’s a pretty lop sided deal really what’s with the truckload of 40s pics req too. I reckon bakes and a 30s pic back would be about right for 3. I really don’t see WC being fav tho , if he’s WA bound he ll go same way as Luke Jackson did

No way wc would offer their r1 , they’d prob try and encourage psd . In any case I reckon if he does split it’ll be freo , they’re on the rise ,have cash and pics to get it done
Yes to all except the PSD. We don’t operate like that, could have done it to the Hawks with Brockman last year but we have a bit of class.

Yes to all except the PSD. We don’t operate like that, could have done it to the Hawks with Brockman last year but we have a bit of class.
Players don’t generally agree to that route unless they’re exiting a club for more opportunity and may feel unloved by incumbent club, that’s not bakes , so a club holding the cards to get it done would be important, I still wouldnt rule himout re signing with Richmond as he could well be captain

Reckon all this talk about pick 6/8 etc. is a bit moot, freo have their pick, pies and power - I doubt any of those will be top 10

Freo have had an easy start to the year and are relatively injury free with Darcy being their only injured player of note. Collingwood, Brisbane and GC surely leapfrog Freo. They do still play us and WCE twice and are yet to play Hawks, and they just beat North by a few goals. A lot to play out in the season but they've got no one to kick goals so they'll most likely finish 12th meaning Pick 7 (Pick 9-10 after F/S's and academy???). Will feel better when Logan McDonald re-signs with the Swans because then Baker becomes their primary focus.

Hopefully Baker puts in a couple of BLINDER's against Freo so it becomes the Pitura deal in reverse. Baker for Darcy, Serong and Treacy...... we can always throw Broad in to sweeten the pot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win by you guys.
Reid what a star.

Can't see the 1 yr deal happening, we can't rely on the FA compo system, we got burnt on that with B.Ellis. It'll either be he stays or goes. Doesn't make sense for him either, it'd hurt his value if he got injured next yr (if he was hoping to have a good year to up his asking price etc) for example.

How it ends up

Ends up being

On the 1st deal mentioned, no way we'd part with all those picks in the 1 deal. We have 4 Clubs to deal with for pts & we'd be better off off dealing with 2/3 of those depending on how the pts end up post season/trade etc. We are looking to strengthen our draft hand. Whether it's "quality or quantity" we look for might depends on what the draft crop looks like at the end of the yr.

Appreciate the work that’s gone into that. We wouldn’t take Lewis Young, our KPD targets will be Busslinger and Curtin (unlikely) and we’ll take a KPD in the draft. If you could whip something up with the Crows or the Dogs then we’d look at it for sure.

I think you’re over complicating the deal with Freo, straight swap for 1R would get it done but on paper it looks ok except I don’t think Freo would include 12 and instead 16 would go straight to you from Carlton.

I value Baker at a pick between 15 and 25 depending on his season but given Freo have 3x1R you might be able to squeeze more out of them. Of course the contract they offer him will also demonstrate Baker’s worth to them.
crows are one of the Clubs looking for pts so that could be a potential deal. straight swap would be too simple for the way trades are done these days (to even up pts) there's always junk picks being swapped.

I highly doubt Baker would want to do that either. they really should just get rid of the PSD, DFA takes care of what that used to achieve. it's same thing but the player gets to choose where he goes.

it's all about getting that transformative elite young talent. It's still a lottery, but your odds are cut in half by getting a top 3 pick

I think we are likely going to finish bottom 3-5 this season. I would trade this years first round pick + Baker for Harley Reid in a heartbeat. How did Nth manage to stuff up a guaranteed road of drafting this kid?

Last edited:
If Baker 100% wants to leave the Blair needs to make it clear to Baker & his manager

Unless we get a fair trade value we wont do the trade

Teams paying $850k + will make sure the deal gets done and cannot leave the player hanging for a PSD selection

They WILL pay a top 10 pick otherwise Baker must know he has a choice

Stay 1 more year and go where he wants or take his chance in the PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back