List Mgmt. Trade Hypotheticals (opposition posters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys,

Would the following be a fair trade?

StKilda's 2016 & 2017 1st round selections for Marchbank, Steele & your 2016 1st round + 2017 2nd round pick?

So roughly for you guys:

In:
2016 pick 8 (assuming we finish 11th)
2017 pick 11 (assuming we finish 8th)

Out:
Marchbank
Steele
2016 Pick 16 (assuming you finish about 3rd)
2017 pick 36 (assuming you finish top, because I think you will)
What a ridiculous proposal

At least offer market price mate

What a ridiculous proposal

At least offer market price mate
Market value?

Steele can't crack best 22 consistently & Marchbank has been injured twice & played very little this year. Marchy was only best 22 to start the year due to Haynes still recovering from preseason injury. Neither player's value has gone up since being drafted, but both are good talents.

Jack Steele would be worth a pick between 20-25 - if someone wants to pay more than that, they are crazy. (Sharrod Wellingham fetched pick 18 in 2012; Rhys Stanley fetched pick 21 in 2014 - both had proven AFL level form & were starting 18 players every week)

Marchbank would be worth a pick between 12-18 - if someone wants to pay more than that, they must be Richmond ;)

Maybe drop the 2017 2nd rounder back & that's easily market value.

2016 + 2017 1st rounders (~ picks 8 & 11)
for
Marchbank, Steele & 2016 1st rounder (pick 16)

Market value?

Steele can't crack best 22 consistently & Marchbank has been injured twice & played very little this year. Marchy was only best 22 to start the year due to Haynes still recovering from preseason injury. Neither player's value has gone up since being drafted, but both are good talents.

Jack Steele would be worth a pick between 20-25 - if someone wants to pay more than that, they are crazy. (Sharrod Wellingham fetched pick 18 in 2012; Rhys Stanley fetched pick 21 in 2014 - both had proven AFL level form & were starting 18 players every week)

Marchbank would be worth a pick between 12-18 - if someone wants to pay more than that, they must be Richmond ;)

Maybe drop the 2017 2nd rounder back & that's easily market value.

2016 + 2017 1st rounders (~ picks 8 & 11)
for
Marchbank, Steele & 2016 1st rounder (pick 16)

Sounds great. Send that through to Craig Cameron and Luke Power. I'm sure they'll get back to you soon.

Sounds great. Send that through to Craig Cameron and Luke Power. I'm sure they'll get back to you soon.
We all know there's 0.001% chance of any of these ridiculous hypotheticals coming to fruition. I always find it interesting to see how much supporters rate their players.

If someone had told me that the best player in the game this year, Patrick Dangerfield, would be traded for just picks 9 & 28 (plus a kid I'd never heard of in Dean Gore), I'd have laughed my ass off as that is serious unders for a player of Danger's ability.... And Geelong also managed to get pick 50 back in that deal.

Who knows what list managers will concoct come trade week.... I can't believe we managed to give up picks 5 & 24, and still manage to get back pick 14 on top of picking up Jake Carlisle. Shame about the PEDs ban, but ripping trade work considering the guy we took at pick 14 is the guy we would have taken at 5 (after Parish had been taken already)

^ That initial trade on face value only equates to 1311 points for the two players - equivalent to pick 11. I would not think that GWS would see that as fair value for both players. Marchbank alone we would probably think deserves that. And, it's putting a very optimistic spin on our finishing positions. Of course, at 2016 trade time we will know this year's. However, GWS is carrying all the risk and a lower finishing position in 2017 (which is what you're hoping for, let's face it) could see the return much less - for example drop 2 to 4 positions in both years from your scenario and it is around 525 points, or pick 25 equivalent, for both. So, there's always risk & reward, and compared to what each player could achieve on their own.

The second trade, without the return second rounder, would be 1783 points (pick 6) on face value or down around 1257 (pick 12) if you knock off a couple of finishing spots. That would be more likely to entice GWS I would think from a risk-reward perspective. But I'd also think that GWS would not really want another low first round pick in 2016, although they could on sell it to someone desperate for early first round picks like Collingwood and Richmond.

Won't be surprised to see GWS & Fremantle come to the party in a deal that lands McCarthy at Freo, Essendon two top 10 picks and GWS the number 1 pick.

If the deal is to get through, Freo will be giving up a Lachie Neale. They definitely can't trade there 2017 first rounder?

:rage:
Whole thing is getting silly IMO
1 Leon said after we played them in Perth and met with him, and has consistently said he is too good a player and a person to be be lost to AFL. Anyone that thinks this means we plan to force him to sit out next year really not listening.
2. He also said he is struggling with the demands of being an AFL footballer. This means he must be a risk.
3. I watched him get 4 goals against the Crows, punching in the back 50 at times and then leading into the forward line to give a target as we moved the ball by hand. Not many players can do that. I also saw his form drop off late in the season.
4. Our practical options are to pay him next year under our cap our trade him.
5. He walked.out on the club and has made it clear he wont play for us. Ipso facto he is of no potential value to us. Again Leon said if there is a one per cent chance he will we have to pursue it. Ok but does anyone expect it, and would it now fair to others if he did. As a minimum he would have to return for the off season this year and show the right attitude. About as likely as Freo winning the flag

Of course we will trade him, for his sake and for the club. Sometimes in life you have to take deals you dont like so you can move on.
Ultimately this isn't about Freo, and my post doesn't mean I agree with some from their club claiming we have acted poorly in this matter, which is codswallop, it just doesn't matter in the big picture

Last edited:
Won't be surprised to see GWS & Fremantle come to the party in a deal that lands McCarthy at Freo, Essendon two top 10 picks and GWS the number 1 pick.

If the deal is to get through, Freo will be giving up a Lachie Neale. They definitely can't trade there 2017 first rounder?

Tell me again why we want the number 1 pick?

David King on the couch was unbelievably stupid when he said "it's worth 3000 points to them" - woopdy doo- you gotta use it first. You can't cash it in and wait til later. McCreadie is good, but he's not the number 1 overall pick.

I want lots of points, sure, but usable points, not all the points tied up in a single pick that has to be used before anyone even thinks about bidding.

David King on the couch was unbelievably stupid when he said "it's worth 3000 points to them" - woopdy doo- you gotta use it first. You can't cash it in and wait til later. McCreadie is good, but he's not the number 1 overall pick.

I want lots of points, sure, but usable points, not all the points tied up in a single pick that has to be used before anyone even thinks about bidding.

Easy - there's a fair chance we're going to have more points than we know what to do with going into this year's offseason.

If we leave those points in picks starting after our bids, there's a fair chance those spare points end up being a bunch of picks in the 30s and 40s after downgrades from various bids. See the Lions' draft last year.

If we trade the excess points (and maybe spare players) in such a way that we get a pick prior to any of our guys being bid on, we can effectively end up in a situation where instead of using a bunch of picks in the 30s and 40s, we're using a top three pick instead. We then don't use that on any academy players (since that is both overpaying, as you note, but also defeats the purpose of the 20% discount) but instead recruit best available.

I say you guys should get revenge on Gold Coast for bidding on Hopper last year.

You should trade up to pick 1, then bid on Jack Bowes, forcing Gold Coast to match it.
Then you'd drop to pick 2 & save 483 points (excluding 20% discount) if you were to take one of your own academy kids, or just take Marshall/Brodie/SPS with the pick.

By doing this you've ensured that no one will bid on McCreadie & Setterfield with the top 2 picks, which would have been highly likely otherwise, & saved 766 points (the difference between picks 1 & 3)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I say you guys should get revenge on Gold Coast for bidding on Hopper last year.

You should trade up to pick 1, then bid on Jack Bowes, forcing Gold Coast to match it.
Then you'd drop to pick 2 & save 483 points (excluding 20% discount) if you were to take one of your own academy kids, or just take Marshall/Brodie/SPS with the pick.

By doing this you've ensured that no one will bid on McCreadie & Setterfield with the top 2 picks, which would have been highly likely otherwise, & saved 766 points (the difference between picks 1 & 3)

Alternatively, we could not trade up to pick one, and do all the same things.

Why would we want revenge? We got all the players we wanted last year. I am and am sure the club too are glad they did bid on him then. Imagine the furore if Hopper fell to pick 8-10.

Did anyone even find out what was apparently irregular about his paperwork?

My understanding is that the reason we don't get first crack is that he hasn't been in the academy long enough. Spent the last two years overseas playing cricket, so we haven't really put the time and resources into him that we have others.

We don't get them just because of geography, you gotta actually spend time doing academy stuff, and he hasn't.

Why would we want revenge? We got all the players we wanted last year. I am and am sure the club too are glad they did bid on him then. Imagine the furore if Hopper fell to pick 8-10.

Yeah would have brought even more scrutiny on the academy system...and possibly whispers of backroom handshakes about not bidding on your players from certain clubs.

Let's be real though, I'm sure that stuff does happen in an unspoken or read between the lines type of way.

Plus why need to take revenge on a fellow expansion club which you are streaks ahead of now

My understanding is that the reason we don't get first crack is that he hasn't been in the academy long enough. Spent the last two years overseas playing cricket, so we haven't really put the time and resources into him that we have others.

We don't get them just because of geography, you gotta actually spend time doing academy stuff, and he hasn't.

Fair enough.

Though I remember reading an interview with setterfield I think it was, who said he basically only spent a week with the GWS academy...not exactly sure how much he could learn in just one week.

I think he actually said something like it didn't matter anyway, he was always going to try to play AFL...I guess having a zone you will luck out and get some players like that.

Fair enough.

Though I remember reading an interview with setterfield I think it was, who said he basically only spent a week with the GWS academy...not exactly sure how much he could learn in just one week.

I think he actually said something like it didn't matter anyway, he was always going to try to play AFL...I guess having a zone you will luck out and get some players like that.

Maybe he was referring to the week some (four?) of the academy kids spend up at the club training with the seniors and doing other stuff during the pre-season. (last year that was Hopper/Kennedy etc) The rest of the regular academy stuff happens back at home with fortnightly sessions and other stuff at the various locations around the state.

Being in the Academy is more than a single week commitment.

Maybe he was referring to the week some (four?) of the academy kids spend up at the club training with the seniors and doing other stuff during the pre-season. (last year that was Hopper/Kennedy etc) The rest of the regular academy stuff happens back at home with fortnightly sessions and other stuff at the various locations around the state.

Being in the Academy is more than a single week commitment.

Isn't he the one at Caulfield Grammar? He's probably been involved since he was younger; most kids are.

Isn't he the one at Caulfield Grammar? He's probably been involved since he was younger; most kids are.

Yeah, he's at Caufiled now, but I found this article - with the pertinent paragraph being...

Setterfield has been a part of the Giants' academy since he was 13, with most of his involvement coming in his formative years with local training sessions and some trial games. GWS academy head coach Jason Saddington also keeps in touch.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-07/big-move-a-big-plus-for-nsw-draft-hope-will-setterfield

Would he have got to Caufield Grammer without that Academy involvement/development early?

Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows. But he's been involved with the academy a lot longer than just a week.

And here's a link to the story about the four boys (including Setterfield) who spent a week at the club during pre season...
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-12-11/they-might-be-giants

Last edited:

As Rors suggested, pick 1 would give you the ability to take SPS and your academy kids

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade Hypotheticals (opposition posters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back