Trade hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Purely hypothetical but I think Geelong should seriously entertain trading out Harry Taylor to Freo.

He's 28. He started very slowly this year before some great form. So he'll still have value. But if Frawley comes in as mentioned then Frawley and Rivers can hold things down and Lonergan has at least one more good year. Frawley is a natural full back. Rivers can play CHB against quality opponents as long as he's not isolated deep on big guys. Then a proper CHB is pretty easy to find and develop when surrounded by a good team and with Frawley on the best forward.

Taylor forward is pipe dream in my opinion. How many 28 year old key defenders have ever swung forward for success? Geelong are better off sticking by Kersten and Walker short term.

And if lucky they could get Freo's first round pick. If not they'd get a 2nd and upgrades to other picks. Arming Wells with some proper ammunition come draft day can lead to some really good results.

Having Frawley come in and then having either Taylor or Frawley play forward doesn't address the midfield and flanker depth issues Geelong are facing. It won't be enough to take them back to the top of the pile. So I'd sign Frawley and trade out Taylor and go to work on boosting the midfield as well as finding a cheap decent CHB somewhere which shouldn't really be that hard.

Geez, it's a nice idea in theory, but they are NOT giving up a very good CHB who has performed in GF's and was AA last year for a 2nd pick and upgrade of 3rds..

Taylor would be a couple of first rounders imo, if I was Geelong I'd be interested if I was offered a top 10 pick and a top 15 pick..say pick 7 and 14..

Geez, it's a nice idea in theory, but they are NOT giving up a very good CHB who has performed in GF's and was AA last year for a 2nd pick and upgrade of 3rds..

Taylor would be a couple of first rounders imo, if I was Geelong I'd be interested if I was offered a top 10 pick and a top 15 pick..say pick 7 and 14..
No one is going to give up two first rounders for someone who will turn 29 next year.

Purely hypothetical but I think Geelong should seriously entertain trading out Harry Taylor to Freo.

He's 28. He started very slowly this year before some great form. So he'll still have value. But if Frawley comes in as mentioned then Frawley and Rivers can hold things down and Lonergan has at least one more good year. Frawley is a natural full back. Rivers can play CHB against quality opponents as long as he's not isolated deep on big guys. Then a proper CHB is pretty easy to find and develop when surrounded by a good team and with Frawley on the best forward.

Taylor forward is pipe dream in my opinion. How many 28 year old key defenders have ever swung forward for success? Geelong are better off sticking by Kersten and Walker short term.

And if lucky they could get Freo's first round pick. If not they'd get a 2nd and upgrades to other picks. Arming Wells with some proper ammunition come draft day can lead to some really good results.

Having Frawley come in and then having either Taylor or Frawley play forward doesn't address the midfield and flanker depth issues Geelong are facing. It won't be enough to take them back to the top of the pile. So I'd sign Frawley and trade out Taylor and go to work on boosting the midfield as well as finding a cheap decent CHB somewhere which shouldn't really be that hard.

So trade an all oz chb for a woefully inadequate draft pick? Taylor to us is worth a top 5 pick. In real terms we would never get that but that's what he is worth to us. Lonergan and Rivers have one year left. Frawley will form a partnership for the next 5 years in defence.

i get the point about Ht having currency but the whole point of Frawley is to shure up the back 6. Rivers and Domsy have 1 more year at best. That leaves HT, Frawley, Mackie and a choice of under 5 gamers.

Getting rid if HT at that point is just crazy. And HT won't be going forward. WE have choices there but whom are not fit right now. Sucks to be us.

Go Catters

We went for him very hard last year. He stayed a Cat. That ship has sailed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 3 and one player of either Watts, Howe or Grimes for

GWS - Shiel, O'Rouke and pick 40

Or

Sydney - Mitchell, Zak Jones and pick 39

Melbourne might as well fold if they gave up Grimes or Howe, Sydney might not want to get rid of Jones but they'd be the most likely to do a deal for pick 3 for Mitchell. GWS would laugh at that scenario.

I'm definitely serious. Quality player but we're light on list space, he'd still have some value, has done some dumb things this year and probably is too old to be in our next premiership team. I'd only give him up for a very good deal but I'd consider it if one came up. What would you offer?
I wouldn't give anything up to have him at Melbourne because simply we are trying to build a young list, would take if a free agent though but that isn't happening.

If I was a Geelong supporter though there would be no way I would trade Stevie, I understand what you are saying but he's a 3 time premiership hero in possibly the clubs greatest era, he's done more for the club than anything you could get in return for him and would have too much respect for him to use him as trade bait.

And if he played on the weekend there is every chance Geelong would playing in a Prelim against Sydney, theres no reason why you couldn't have a crack at the flag next year.

As would sydney

Depending on how much Sydney wants a ruckman will determine that, Mitchell and Reid out will free your cap up, perhaps Malceski and ROK too (depending on who leaves, who retires etc). Sydney would take pick 3 for a fringe player everyday of the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back