Trade hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, please. Pick 3 and Watts is great value for Mitchell, Jones and 39. Fantastic value.
Good value on paper, but i can't see what we'd do with Watts. Just doesn't go in hard enough, or work hard enough. He'd have to buy in to the way Swans play, and he just doesn't seem to have that hardness in him. Great skills, great kick, but just not enough heart, and no defensive mindset.

We need a KPD, but neither Grimes or Howe are big enough.

So it might look like great value, but we don't need what they're selling.

I wouldn't give anything up to have him at Melbourne because simply we are trying to build a young list, would take if a free agent though but that isn't happening.

If I was a Geelong supporter though there would be no way I would trade Stevie, I understand what you are saying but he's a 3 time premiership hero in possibly the clubs greatest era, he's done more for the club than anything you could get in return for him and would have too much respect for him to use him as trade bait.

And if he played on the weekend there is every chance Geelong would playing in a Prelim against Sydney, theres no reason why you couldn't have a crack at the flag next year.

Yes he's a 3 time premiership hero but we've got to think of the present not the past. Corey, Hunt, Chapman and Milburn were all multiple premiership players who were told their time was up at the club. Johnson would be no more disrespectful than any of them.

I'm not saying we go around offering him up and just accept what we get. I'm not giving him up for pick 35. But hypothetically either GWS or Gold Coast could see him as an ideal player where they get 2-3 years of a high quality player just as they're about to shoot up the ladder. He'd also be a great marketing opportunity for those new clubs.

It's possible that these 2 clubs would value him very highly. If Gold Coast decided they'd prefer him to another draft pick then maybe they offer up the pick they got for Caddy thinking that Johnson can contribute more in teaching and experience over 3 years than another kid will give them. Or maybe we really rate Gorringe and they offer us him and a really juicy pick upgrade to somewhere in the draft that Wells really rates the players available. In that situation I could see it being really tempting to give up Johnson.

How have West Coast screwed anyone over? We used 30 to get Yeo, fricken paid the Pies 18 for Wellingham! I may be mistaken, but I don't think we've robbed anyone of late.

Dogs have had a good trading relationship with WCE of late..... Both sides seem happy with the deals...

Yes he's a 3 time premiership hero but we've got to think of the present not the past. Corey, Hunt, Chapman and Milburn were all multiple premiership players who were told their time was up at the club. Johnson would be no more disrespectful than any of them.

I'm not saying we go around offering him up and just accept what we get. I'm not giving him up for pick 35. But hypothetically either GWS or Gold Coast could see him as an ideal player where they get 2-3 years of a high quality player just as they're about to shoot up the ladder. He'd also be a great marketing opportunity for those new clubs.

It's possible that these 2 clubs would value him very highly. If Gold Coast decided they'd prefer him to another draft pick then maybe they offer up the pick they got for Caddy thinking that Johnson can contribute more in teaching and experience over 3 years than another kid will give them. Or maybe we really rate Gorringe and they offer us him and a really juicy pick upgrade to somewhere in the draft that Wells really rates the players available. In that situation I could see it being really tempting to give up Johnson.
We were linked to James Kelly throughout the year, but then I think he signed a contract. If he's one of the players you would want to push out we'd take him.

Dogs have had a good trading relationship with WCE of late..... Both sides seem happy with the deals...

We have each taken a shot over the bow in the last couple of years. Longstanding good relationship though over many years.

I wouldn't have thought there would be better trading partners in the league.

We have each taken a shot over the bow in the last couple of years. Longstanding good relationship though over many years.

I wouldn't have thought there would be better trading partners in the league.

I think we've accepted that you'll win some and lose some, but provided people are reasonably fair - it'll balance out in the end...

Given some of the on-field blues over the years, it's interesting we work so well off-field....

I think we've accepted that you'll win some and lose some, but provided people are reasonably fair - it'll balance out in the end...

Given some of the on-field blues over the years, it's interesting we work so well off-field....

Some clubs are happy to rid themselves of surplus/problematic players over the years, it just happens that WCE/WB do it well.

Just why didn't the Dogs accept Hawthorn's Josh Hill offer though a year before he went to WCE hahaha.

I can think of Melb/Geel having a good trading record. Melb/Rich always trade surplus players between them. North/Hawthorn have traded between themselves regularly, Hay, Thompson, Gibson, Hale etc.

What would it take to get Smedts??

Also what would teams give up to get pick 2&3 from Dees? (3 being potentially)

What would it take to get Smedts??

I highly doubt he'd be on the table. He's still rated very highly and that means he'll be staying. If we didn't give up Tom Gillies when offered a 2nd rounder a year before we delisted him we're not going to trade Smedts for anything less than a very tempting offer. I doubt we'd give him up for a pick outside the top 20 so I think he'll be staying.

I highly doubt he'd be on the table. He's still rated very highly and that means he'll be staying. If we didn't give up Tom Gillies when offered a 2nd rounder a year before we delisted him we're not going to trade Smedts for anything less than a very tempting offer. I doubt we'd give him up for a pick outside the top 20 so I think he'll be staying.

Yep fair point, I really rate him and was surprised he played so little when fit this season, I think if you do hold onto him he'll be a regular next season.

Depending on how much Sydney wants a ruckman will determine that, Mitchell and Reid out will free your cap up, perhaps Malceski and ROK too (depending on who leaves, who retires etc). Sydney would take pick 3 for a fringe player everyday of the week.

Sydney dont actually need a ruckman. And what you guys dont understand is mitchell and reid are like the teachers pet. He wont let them go and they wont leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not a need we are crying out for. It is not like we are playing luke parker cause we have no one else. We have pyke derickx nankervis and naismith. Tippet and reid chop out in the ruck also. Something we do need is a kpd our depth in that area is very thin. So trading reid, who essentially can go back and fill a hole if one of grundy or richards go down, would be a silly idea. His worth to the club far outweighs his worth on the open market.

This is my proposed trade.

St Kilda trades pick #1 and Monty
GWS trades pick #4 plus JOR and Jaksch
Carlton trades pick #7 and Robinson
Melbourne trades pick #3

Pick #1 goes to GWS
Monty goes to Melbourne

Pick #4 goes to St Kilda
JOR goes to Melbourne
Jaksch goes to Carlton

Pick #7 goes to St Kilda
Robinson goes to Melbourne

Pick #3 goes to Carlton

So in the end each club has the following:

St Kilda has Picks #4 and #7;
GWS has Pick #1
Melbourne has Monty, JOR and Robinson
Carlton has pick #3 and Jaksch

Thoughts?

Who is GWS after?

I'm thinking maybe change it so that Monty goes to you guys and Carlton adds another lower pick to the mix?

My understanding is that you guys are keen on Petracca. He's not going to be there at 4.

To pay that much for a 3 pick upgrade in one of the most even drafts in ages you'd need to be more than keen, you'd have to have a raging hardon, I am sure Gubby and SOS are better traders than that..

I just made this up literally on the spot, so I don't think its perfect, but whether there's a way to modify it to make it feasible. I'm looking for a win-win for all 4 clubs.

There's only 3 more clubs to go then. Carlton make out like bandits in your proposal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back