Trade hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

There's only 3 more clubs to go then. Carlton make out like bandits in your proposal.

Maybe it needs work. I think this is good for St Kilda, who want more picks inside the top 20. But yeah, it might be too good for Carlton. I think Carlton would have to give up another pick (i.e #25) to make it fairer/more likely.

Sorry towers is not a ruckman. You might be thinking of naismith. Towers is a speedy outside mid with good skills also plays a lot of half forward with good goal sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, that doesn't sound right either.

Towers: 190cm
Naismith: 205cm

The only reason Towers was rucking was because the swans wanted to preserve Reid and Tippett's bodies, and because Towers has an insane vertical leap

i get the point about Ht having currency but the whole point of Frawley is to shure up the back 6. Rivers and Domsy have 1 more year at best. That leaves HT, Frawley, Mackie and a choice of under 5 gamers.

Getting rid if HT at that point is just crazy. And HT won't be going forward. WE have choices there but whom are not fit right now. Sucks to be us.

Go Catters
I think at some stage if you keep trying to sure up this current team you'll just end up delaying an inevitable decline. I'd be proactive and say anyone over 26 is tradeable. Stevie J, Stokes are good cats men and the midfield is a weakness lets keep them. Mackie, Enright, Kelly, Lonergan etc no one wants them for anything. One key defender Frawley in for free, one key defender out for a first round pick.

At the moment I see the number of spots needed to be filled in the best 22 as at least 6 (McIntosh, Bartel, Kelly, Enright, Mackie, Lonergan, SJ) in the next 1-2 years vs the improvement in the kids as taking Geelong backwards before they come forward. Is that a fair statement? No doubt the gun kids will improve but it's those who haven't played 20 games yet who probably don't cover the decline of some superstars.

I'm also not doubting Harry Taylor's abilities right now, just wondering how important a gun CHB if you have a gun full back in Frawley as well as Rivers as an option. Sydney and Hawthorn will likely make the grand final with Teddy Richards and Brian Lake. Both super reliable stoppers. Then they'll play Spangher and Heath Grundy as the other key defender who will sit on the back up rucks. Considering it's not really FB and CHB these days as key defender 1 and 2, do you need so much invested in 2 key defenders?

The other benefit besides the high draft pick Taylor would fetch would be the salary cap space. Instead of burning a chunk of it on Frawley, by trading it out you've still got it spare. Hello Dangerfield big contract?

I think at some stage if you keep trying to sure up this current team you'll just end up delaying an inevitable decline. I'd be proactive and say anyone over 26 is tradeable. Stevie J, Stokes are good cats men and the midfield is a weakness lets keep them. Mackie, Enright, Kelly, Lonergan etc no one wants them for anything. One key defender Frawley in for free, one key defender out for a first round pick.

At the moment I see the number of spots needed to be filled in the best 22 as at least 6 (McIntosh, Bartel, Kelly, Enright, Mackie, Lonergan, SJ) in the next 1-2 years vs the improvement in the kids as taking Geelong backwards before they come forward. Is that a fair statement? No doubt the gun kids will improve but it's those who haven't played 20 games yet who probably don't cover the decline of some superstars.

I'm also not doubting Harry Taylor's abilities right now, just wondering how important a gun CHB if you have a gun full back in Frawley as well as Rivers as an option. Sydney and Hawthorn will likely make the grand final with Teddy Richards and Brian Lake. Both super reliable stoppers. Then they'll play Spangher and Heath Grundy as the other key defender who will sit on the back up rucks. Considering it's not really FB and CHB these days as key defender 1 and 2, do you need so much invested in 2 key defenders?

The other benefit besides the high draft pick Taylor would fetch would be the salary cap space. Instead of burning a chunk of it on Frawley, by trading it out you've still got it spare. Hello Dangerfield big contract?

Sydney won the 2012 flag with a strong top heavy defense, but it was done on the back of super strong midfield unit. Geelong's midfield is not up to the task. I'm not sure recruiting Frawley is necessarily the right play. Yes Rivers, Lonergan etc are getting older, but Frawley is already 25. The only reason he's worth getting is its for free as I'm assuming the cats have plenty of money.

Yes he's a 3 time premiership hero but we've got to think of the present not the past. Corey, Hunt, Chapman and Milburn were all multiple premiership players who were told their time was up at the club. Johnson would be no more disrespectful than any of them.

I'm not saying we go around offering him up and just accept what we get. I'm not giving him up for pick 35. But hypothetically either GWS or Gold Coast could see him as an ideal player where they get 2-3 years of a high quality player just as they're about to shoot up the ladder. He'd also be a great marketing opportunity for those new clubs.

It's possible that these 2 clubs would value him very highly. If Gold Coast decided they'd prefer him to another draft pick then maybe they offer up the pick they got for Caddy thinking that Johnson can contribute more in teaching and experience over 3 years than another kid will give them. Or maybe we really rate Gorringe and they offer us him and a really juicy pick upgrade to somewhere in the draft that Wells really rates the players available. In that situation I could see it being really tempting to give up Johnson.
If SJ is gettable, the Suns should be in up to their eyeballs for all the reasons outlined here. Won't get tagged at the Suns either.

Nathan Brown and our second round pick for Port Adelaide's first pick? Would love to have someone like Huge goddard in the late teens.

If SJ is gettable, the Suns should be in up to their eyeballs for all the reasons outlined here. Won't get tagged at the Suns either.

Well what would you be willing to offer? To both GWS and GC he just makes complete sense but he's contracted and a legend at Geelong so it would require something very hard to pass up for us to consider it. Is his experience worth more to you than another first rounder? You've got the pick after our first as part of the Caddy trade. Would you throw that up (pick 16 I think) to try and lure him? I think we'd consider that. Throw in an upgrade of our second rounder and I reckon he'd be gettable.

I doubt they would take that. I would rate Nathan Brown as a pick between 30-40 so 2 picks around 30 for likely pick 16? no thanks.
I think Brown is worth from 15-25 easily. Premiership full back capable of taking on any key forwards in the game. Only problem is his injury history, and if that didn't exist there is no way we would want to trade him. I think most people forgot how good he was in 2010 and the times when he is fit.

Well what would you be willing to offer? To both GWS and GC he just makes complete sense but he's contracted and a legend at Geelong so it would require something very hard to pass up for us to consider it. Is his experience worth more to you than another first rounder? You've got the pick after our first as part of the Caddy trade. Would you throw that up (pick 16 I think) to try and lure him? I think we'd consider that. Throw in an upgrade of our second rounder and I reckon he'd be gettable.
SJ is 31, GC could do a much better deal for pick 16 pretty much anywhere else. When was the last time a 31 year old went for a pick higher than 30?

I think Brown is worth from 15-25 easily. Premiership full back capable of taking on any key forwards in the game. Only problem is his injury history, and if that didn't exist there is no way we would want to trade him. I think most people forgot how good he was in 2010 and the times when he is fit.
2010 is 4 years ago. The guys injury prone and wouldn't fetch a first rounder.

Nathan Brown and our second round pick for Port Adelaide's first pick? Would love to have someone like Huge goddard in the late teens.
Port Adelaide have an already awesome 3 tall defence with Trengove, Carlile and Hombsch. They also have Tom Clurey in the SANFL who is very impressive.

Another key defender is on the bottom of there needs, Adelaide Crows however..

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back