Mega Thread Trade Period: Lets get that delisted guy. He could be good, yeah?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cox is still uncontracted.... And unrestricted... Big dollars for a couple of years until Longer comes along?

All for One

From what I saw of Box Hill late last year Lowden looks like he could play at AFL level. More mobile than Bailey, so potentially adds a scoring target as he could rest up forward whereas Bailey needed to rest off field due to his knees.
The hawks will have a more balanced side with Buddy gone. Hale rucking is not the answer and Lowden is unproven but a good chance to improve and take the number 1 spot. Grimley could also become the centre half forward who marks and competes in the air that Buddy wasn't. The prospect of Shoey coming in to the backline makes us tall back and front but highlights the need for a quicker midfield. So much potential but unproven and need games.The highlighted Blue are either inexperienced or coming back from injury. Spangher could fill CHF temporarily and I am already excluding Savage as he wants to go but would be a running role if he stays. Nagging feeling I am missing someone. ADAMS is the one who fills this void. A Suckling may be the key. Great currency and is the only player on our list who is suspect in a contested situation. I do not want to get rid of him but in a strong team he is shown up.

Backs: Gibson Lake Dureya
Half Back: Hodge Shoey Stratton
Centre: Smith Lewis Suckling
Half Forward: Gunston Grimley Rioli
Forward: Breust Roughead Hale
Ruck: Lowden(Longer)
Ruck Rover:Mitchell
Rover: Sewell(Hallahan)

I/C: Puopolo Anderson Woodward SUB:Simkin

The hawks will have a more balanced side with Buddy gone. Hale rucking is not the answer and Lowden is unproven but a good chance to improve and take the number 1 spot. Grimley could also become the centre half forward who marks and competes in the air that Buddy wasn't. The prospect of Shoey coming in to the backline makes us tall back and front but highlights the need for a quicker midfield. So much potential but unproven and need games.The highlighted Blue are either inexperienced or coming back from injury. Spangher could fill CHF temporarily and I am already excluding Savage as he wants to go but would be a running role if he stays. Nagging feeling I am missing someone. ADAMS is the one who fills this void. A Suckling may be the key. Great currency and is the only player on our list who is suspect in a contested situation. I do not want to get rid of him but in a strong team he is shown up.

Hill!

Shiels also

I wouldn't mind seeing Shaw in brown and gold. I know a lot of people hate on him, and he can be a bit maniacal at times, but I think he'd fit in well with our group and play style. Could even give the opportunity for someone like Birchall to play on the wing all day.

Burgoyne ?!

Like I said If the club was adamant in picking up a mature age....Id personally pick up one for free that could play 5 to 10 games rather than wasting a good pick or a player on a known dud like Hampson.
Whilst Jolly may not cost us a pick, he will cost us a large slice of the cap space we have now that Buddy's gone.

Longer and Adams are 2 of our targets, the third one I'm not that keen to mention at this point as I highly doubt it would ever eventuate, we are definitely interested in him though as I have had it confirmed by 2 completely unrelated sources.

It would require a miracle for him to be at Hawthorn next year, as I have said a lot of what Hawthorn intends on doing during the trade period is dependent on the Buddy compensation.

I will be happy to mention who it is if it appears any more likely to happen.

Miracle, hey?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rian-based-clubs/story-fn69a32t-1226733476015

;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just cannot see a potential package that would deliver Shuey or Darling to Hawthorn.

We can pay them through the nose and they would be happy to come but they are both contracted so we would need to crowbar them out of WC.

Given that Shuey is pretty much their only midfielder with the class and explosiveness they are crying out for we have nothing to offer the Eagles that would replace him adequately. Remove him from their midfield group and it is pretty much toilers and accumulators.

I wouldn't mind seeing Shaw in brown and gold. I know a lot of people hate on him, and he can be a bit maniacal at times, but I think he'd fit in well with our group and play style. Could even give the opportunity for someone like Birchall to play on the wing all day.

Ditto

I just cannot see a potential package that would deliver Shuey or Darling to Hawthorn.

We can pay them through the nose and they would be happy to come but they are both contracted so we would need to crowbar them out of WC.

Given that Shuey is pretty much their only midfielder with the class and explosiveness they are crying out for we have nothing to offer the Eagles that would replace him adequately. Remove him from their midfield group and it is pretty much toilers and accumulators.
Wrighty has the force. We'll bundle up both with Ellis and a confusing array of late round draft pick swaparoos.

I find our ruck situation interesting. I wonder how accurate this speculation about Hampson is? I would be happy to get Hampson provided it is cheap... Really cheap... like third round draft pick cheap.

On Longer I think we are selling him short a bit. He still has plenty of maturing to do but at the same time, he might be a lot more ready than we think. He's listed at 102 kg already and will be stronger with another preseason.

Having a very simplistic glance at his stats he averaged 18 hitouts per game (he only played 4 games) in 2013 and 7 disposals. Bailey averaged 21 hitouts and 9 disposals. As I said this is a very simplistic look at the stats and doesn't take into account time on ground (of which Max is only about 60%).

Happy to be corrected on the above cause I didn't really see Longer play and am just going off stats for four games. I would actually like to see Hale, Longer and Lowden rotate throughout the year to give the two young guys game experience whilst not flogging them and give Hale a rest. Grimley could also give any of the other guys a chop out as well if he's playing. Hampson would then only be required for depth if there's an injury to the other three which is why I would only get him if he's cheap.

Oh, and there's Ceglar as well.

Hampson, like most rucks that aren't superstars, appears very very average.

He can clunk a mark, which is helpful, and I wouldn't be against it if we thought of a way to get more out of him. But if he comes across and performs at the same level then there isn't much at all to get excited about.

There just aren't that many people around that are over 200 cm. That height must be at least a couple of standard deviations from the mean. Also explains why KPP's are difficult to come by as well.

Savage and Ellis plus a first round draft pick (maybe a compo pick) for Shuey. He is a gun and would be a great get for us.
We don't own Ellis anymore I don't think - his Contract has/is expired & the word is that we've not offered to extend. Pretty sure he is free to sign with whomever he likes for free.

Where there's smoke there's fire, both Adams and Shuey want to come home no doubting that and yes we have plenty of $$ to offer and with 4-5 top Victorian clubs chasing both it's gonna be tough. In all seriousness what do we have to offer to the Eagles for him? What would they want? Savage would be firstly part of the deal and holds plenty of currency however I'd be be certain they'd want Stratton to be apart of discussions which we would knock on the head.

Generally if a player wants out and names a team he wants to go to then they generally get there, so with that in mind and given there is the Simpson connection the deal could go a bit like:

Savage + compensation 1st rd WCE
Shuey HAW

Ok, so we have had 4 changes to the list, including 3 guys directly from the premiership 22, plus two rookie delisting in Frank and Boseley. That is without Savage and Ellis leaving which is proposed. 6 new guys to come onto the list is a pretty big change over for a premiership side. That is assuming that no other players are delisted as well. Some work ahead for footy department. We still have to replace Simpson too

We've currently got only 10 guys (including the Internationals) that haven't tasted the heat of the big time on game day. Pretty healthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Trade Period: Lets get that delisted guy. He could be good, yeah?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back