Mega Thread Trade Period: Lets get that delisted guy. He could be good, yeah?

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Osborne was on the Veterans list. Do you know if his retirement frees up a draft pick in the National Draft?

Pretty sure they take a spot on the main list. They used to take up a rookie spot on the list, but I think they changed it

Hampson? **** me. Do not need that list clogger at Hawthorn.

Like most ruckman, when he has had a chance to ruck one out he's actually been very good. Just at Carlton he's been seen as the forward/ruck as opposed to the straight out ruck and as such, he's struggled at times. Still prefer Longer

5 clubs have contacted and met with Adams
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Geelong
Richmond

No mention of us, according to reports, unless we've done it in secret

We do now have around $1mil spare to start negotiations with of course!!!

I'd hope we are talking to him

Geez it's looking a bit perilous, so quickly after winning the flag.
Graeme Wright needs to pull some rabbits out of his hat.
What happens if we don't get Longer, and lo and behold Hampson (yuk)?
Even if we do get Longer, he will need a year at least to be at the level required.
Hale can't do it playing as mainly a ruck, and we lose his fwd effectiveness.
Roughie back to ruck duties shoots us in the foot and we go backwards again, esp as bud has gone.
Grimmers looks the goods, but questions on his rucking ability.
Lowden, can he be thrown to the wolves and rise to the occasion, so quickly? Doubt it
Ceglar ain't any good.
Mumford doesn't want to come to 'the destination club'.
Any mature potential from state leagues around not mentioned yet to fill the gap for now?
Bit left field and surely not, but could the Sheminator be an option? Use him as a wrecking ball through the guts....running out of ideas...how tall is he again

Could we go for a Jolly or Hille (yuk) for now, are they even good enough? This seems the best outcome whilst also gaining and developing Longer in the meantime to me.
Or of course we could match Shytney and get something good, but that looks like not happening at all.
Decisions, decisions....work some magic Wrighty c'mon!!

Geez it's looking a bit perilous, so quickly after winning the flag.
Graeme Wright needs to pull some rabbits out of his hat.
What happens if we don't get Longer, and lo and behold Hampson (yuk)?
Even if we do get Longer, he will need a year at least to be at the level required.
Hale can't do it playing as mainly a ruck, and we lose his fwd effectiveness.
Roughie back to ruck duties shoots us in the foot and we go backwards again, esp as bud has gone.
Grimmers looks the goods, but questions on his rucking ability.
Lowden, can he be thrown to the wolves and rise to the occasion, so quickly? Doubt it
Ceglar ain't any good.
Mumford doesn't want to come to 'the destination club'.
Any mature potential from state leagues around not mentioned yet to fill the gap for now?

Lowden will be a mature ruck, not thrown to the wolves at all. He's been competing against mature rucks and probably beat West in the grand final. Should be ready for a shot. I'd say you don't have to worry about Longer mate, word is its just a matter of details. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Lowden is ready ......he and Longer will make a very destructive duo .....
Like the look of Lowden just needs to straighten up a bit in front of goals

Personally I am excited about next year.
A host of new faces, the return of Shoey and Suckers, more improvement from Hill, Jed and Duryea after another pre-season, not to mention another step taken by the likes of Smith, Bruest, Gunston, Poppy, Shiels, Stratts and Simpkin. Throw in the challenge laid down to the up'n comers from the Box Hill reigning premiers like Grimley, Spangher, Langford, Lowden, Litherland, Halaghan, Wanganeen, O'Brien and Kelly and it makes for very interesting times. Lets also not forget Whitex coming back mid to late year and the chance we may see what young Alex Woodward can offer.
No doubt we need a to get a Ruckman, Longer is the obvious choice and I think we will land him, but we now have so much list space and money to spend we should be able to get a good mix of youth and perhaps some early to mid 20's experience like we got with Poppy, Smith and Simpkin.

I would like to see Grimley thrown forward to replace Buddy. A three tall forward line of Roughy, Gunstall and Grimley would be a handful. Buddy couldn't mark over head to save himself whereas Grimmers can.

Will be interesting what happens down back with Shoey coming back, Gibbo can be played as a smaller back / spoiler in a pocket. Stratts Lake Gibbo
Birchall Shoey Hodge

Good luck kicking goals against that back 6 with Duryea a more than handy backup.

It's going to be a long 6 months waiting for the season to start, I can't wait !!!!!

Apart from Longer as a ruck, who would people like to see us pick up ???
Hampson ? Noooooo !
Shaw ? Nooooooo !
Who's out there that would fit, suit and give us service ?
Please stick to serious options only.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Generally he's a solid set shot GH .....think nerves got the better of him in the GF ....
Its his marking i want to see improve this off season .

Generally he's a solid set shot GH .....think nerves got the better of him in the GF ....
Its his marking i want to see improve this off season .
He does have an awkward kicking style. Doesn't bode well for consistent set shots at goal.

Jack Darlings name keeps getting mentioned as a possible trade to the Hawks. I have no idea how this will happen as Darling is a WA boy and if he chose to move to the Eastern States, we would have to give up a Brad Hill, Ben Stratton type to secure Darling (NO WAY). I think this is bull sh!t, but if you go by Mike Sheahans's boy, Tony and his recent record of getting the big news right (Picked Buddy to go to Sydney before it happened and picked Roosy to the Dees before it was announced) then Darling to the Hawks may be right. - Check out his twitter page - https://twitter.com/TonySheahan
Also mentions not to discount Shaw coming to the Hawks.

Whilst I am in the same boat as most of you guys/gals, I do remain a little optimistic and think what are the Hawks going to spend up to 1.5 mill (Combining, Buds, Goo's, Ossy, Ellis, Savage and big Max's wages) ? Could it be Longer, Darling and Shaw? Are the Hawks going to be compensated better than we think from the Swans/AFL? Could it be two first round picks from the AFL? or are we going to match the offer from the Swans and work out a trade? This is the only way we could possibly achieve securing one contracted player and definitely two. - Exciting weeks ahead :)

Billy Longer would be a great get. Much needed too

No need to worry about Hampson, we've got Lowden, Grimley, and Ceglar who I'd develop before getting Hamp!

Hope we go hard for Taylor Adams. Front end the deals with the 1 million. Would a buddy compo pick get Adams done if he nominated hawks?

I'd even offer Sewell for him

Billy Longer would be a great get. Much needed too

No need to worry about Hampson, we've got Lowden, Grimley, and Ceglar who I'd develop before getting Hamp!

Hope we go hard for Taylor Adams. Front end the deals with the 1 million. Would a buddy compo pick get Adams done if he nominated hawks?

I'd even offer Sewell for him
I would feel much better going forward if we had Adams, or a ready to go quality midfielder in that 21 year old age range.

Suckling and Schonemakers probably won't hit their best footy until they play 10-12 games. Suckling in the backline for Guerra isn't all bad though. If Duryea is the guy for that role then we have suckling to play wing, half forward, half back as the need arises.

I would love to see Schoenmakers play forward, would offset the buddy problem and I think it would be playing to his strengths. I've often thought Gibbo's time as a KPD is borrowed as he is punching out of his weight division.

The ruck issue is the one we need an answer for. Of longer can come in and play number one ruck then that would be great. However, we would already be conceding huge advantage to Freo and probably 6 or 7 other teams.

From what I saw of Box Hill late last year Lowden looks like he could play at AFL level. More mobile than Bailey, so potentially adds a scoring target as he could rest up forward whereas Bailey needed to rest off field due to his knees.

I have only seen Lowden in the "Boxhill" highlights package so not sure how he goes for a full game. However, from some of the highlights I've seen it looks like we could have a player who could match Bailey at this stage of his career and maybe go one or two better with experience. (P.S - This is no knock on Bailey and I have enormous respect for the way he has gone about things after all those knee troubles)

Grimley on the other hand should be played as a pure fwd. The more I think of it we should easily cover for Frankiln. Sure, we will miss the occasional brilliance but Clarko had easily converted him to a role player and surely Grimmers would be able to hold his own as a role player within a Fwd set up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Trade Period: Lets get that delisted guy. He could be good, yeah?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back