Trade Shane Tuck?

Remove this Banner Ad

SolidTiger

Club Legend
Jan 26, 2007
10 Downing St
AFL Club
Richmond
Let me first say that I think Shane Tuck is a great player, but that is part of the reason I think we should trade him if we can get something good for him. Though if we keep him I will be just as happy.

My thinking goes like this. He has had a great year this year and he is about 26 years old and has about 6 years left. He should fetch a very good price in the trade market. We have Couglan coming back next year and his form late in the VFL indicates that he is likely to regain close to his previous form. With the Gold Coast team coming in a few years it would be wise to get another early draft pick. To be honest if it wasn't for the Gold Coast team coming in, I would have said Tuck was almost untouchable in the trade period.

Obviously if we don't get offered anything reasonable then we should keep him. What I would expect is a mid first round pick for him (6-11) or a late first round pick (12-16) plus a good player. Anything less than that just wlk away from the trade.

Let me first say that I think Shane Tuck is a great player, but that is part of the reason I think we should trade him if we can get something good for him. Though if we keep him I will be just as happy.

My thinking goes like this. He has had a great year this year and he is about 26 years old and has about 6 years left. He should fetch a very good price in the trade market. We have Couglan coming back next year and his form late in the VFL indicates that he is likely to regain close to his previous form. With the Gold Coast team coming in a few years it would be wise to get another early draft pick. To be honest if it wasn't for the Gold Coast team coming in, I would have said Tuck was almost untouchable in the trade period.

Obviously if we don't get offered anything reasonable then we should keep him. What I would expect is a mid first round pick for him (6-11) or a late first round pick (12-16) plus a good player. Anything less than that just wlk away from the trade.

Looks like we'll be walking. Tucky would never attract that sort of trade deal.

No way. Why trade a player who will still be good when you're premiership window is about to be open, and currently is in your top 2 players for a speculative draft pick who could turn out to be another JON. Keep all our gun players under 28. You don't see the Cats making threads like "Trade Bartel" or "Trade Joel Corey"

Unless Tuck wanted to leave there is no way we would even contemplate trading him. You say it will be good having Cogs come back next year, getting rid of Tuck would cancel that out IMO. Tuck, Cogs, Foley, Deledio, Cotchin, White & Jackson has the makings of a very good midfield, would be pointless splitting it up for a draft pick.

Exactly, we are not currently at the stage of trading guns for draft picks. We are still at the stage of not trading draft picks for guns but we won't be for long. The only teams that should consider trading their top 3 players are bottom 4 sides or old sides on the way down. We are neither :)

shane is a durable player like his father. both were late bloomers and i belive shane will play till he is at least 34, so why trade away a player we will get another 8 years out of for a pick that might be ok .

stick with shane:thumbsu:

Obviously if we don't get offered anything reasonable then we should keep him. What I would expect is a mid first round pick for him (6-11) or a late first round pick (12-16) plus a good player. Anything less than that just wlk away from the trade.[/quote]

The problem with this post is that you aren't being reasonable!

I admit that Tuck is a good player but to think any club would give up their 1st round pick between #6 - 11 is ridiculous, not to mention that you want another player to go with the draft pick if it is between #12 - 16. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Surely you don't really believe this to be fair to the other club?

My thinking goes like this. He has had a great year this year and he is about 26 years old and has about 6 years left. He should fetch a very good price in the trade market. We have Couglan coming back next year and his form late in the VFL indicates that he is likely to regain close to his previous form.

uggh, err, umm, who told you that partner:eek:...Right now you've just firmed into fav for stupidest thread of the off season...Hey, lets trade our 2008 B&F winner :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way. Why trade a player who will still be good when you're premiership window is about to be open, and currently is in your top 2 players for a speculative draft pick who could turn out to be another JON. Keep all our gun players under 28. You don't see the Cats making threads like "Trade Bartel" or "Trade Joel Corey"

What he said, otherwise we might just as well go and buy a lotto ticket.....

How about "NO".

Tuck is a stayer in more ways than just 4-quarters of football. Not that I was all that keyed into footy when his dad was playing, but I personally see a bit of his father in the way he goes about his footy. Hardness, stamina and longevity are in the genes. He is already a great player and if his 2nd-half of 2008 are anything to go by, Shane Tuck is going to be a superstar.

I am more than happy with him in our midfield short-, medium- and long-term.

The other night Parko said he was probably the most dominant midfielder in the comp in the second half of the season....it's funny how he really started talking us up ever since he predicted The Aints would "Smash" us with venomous hatred in his voice. :eek:

Still... he ain't Lids , Cotch or Foley, so he isn't untouchable in my book.

Well said:thumbsu:, just about to say the same thing myself!

Why would you look at trading anyone this year when one club will have the monopoly on draft picks next year?

GC17 will be looking for ready made players to fill the "experienced, 100 - 150 game" section of the list, if any club's got players they're thinking of trading, good players i mean, why would they do it this year when they could get a great deal for them next year?

If he's a good player this year, he'll still be a good player next year. Tuck's done it for 3 solid years now.

I'd hold off on all trades til GC17 comes into it, what does everyone else think?

the only way i would trade Tuck was if it was in deal involving Kerr + (hopefully not) pick 8

west coast most likely wouldnt agree with this anyway and i think i would be happyer with pick 8 and Tuck

but Kerr is very tempting:rolleyes:

We should get something good for him you say? Tuck is good, so you want to trade a good player who knows everything about his teammates and coach and vice versa and who is close to the players? Great idea :eek:

We're desperate for 26yo players. We definitely keep him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Shane Tuck?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back