Trade Talk 2013 - Yeo, Doc, Polec, Karnezis, Longer gone - Welcome Paine, West, Magwon!

Remove this Banner Ad

No surprises that we're interested in a key defender:

ESSENDON'S Tayte Pears headlines a host of out-of-contract key defenders attracting keen interest from opposition clubs, desperate to bolster their backlines.

Other out-of-contract key defenders on the radar of opposition clubs include North Melbourne pair Nathan Grima and Luke Delaney, West Coast's Mitch Brown and, to a lesser extent, Carlton youngster Matthew Watson.

Industry sources say the clubs most actively in the market for a tall backman are St Kilda, the Brisbane Lions and West Coast, all of whom AFL.com.au understands are among Pears' potential suitors.

Grima has come onto Adelaide's radar after a solid start to 2013. Grima has a connection to the Crows and South Australia, having been coached by Adelaide's national recruiting manager Hamish Ogilvie as a junior with the Tassie Mariners and played in Central Districts' 2007 SANFL premiership.

Delaney, 24, has been unable to break into North's team this season but his outstanding VFL form with North Ballarat has attracted the interest of clubs including the Brisbane Lions, Geelong, West Coast and St Kilda.

I think it would depend on the strengths of the defender we sign. A guy like Pears isn't the most robust of defenders and I think Sauce's muscle might be still needed down back if someone of that ilk was signed. But if you trade for a big body, moving Sauce forward has to be on the cards.

I think it would depend on the strengths of the defender we sign. A guy like Pears isn't the most robust of defenders and I think Sauce's muscle might be still needed down back if someone of that ilk was signed. But if you trade for a big body, moving Sauce forward has to be on the cards.

Drafting in someone like Luke Delaney would be ideal for us; certainly if we can't secure a KPF like Franklin or (to a lesser extent) Boyd then pushing Sauce forward would help us greatly. We have Bourke and almost certainly Tickner coming through (provided Tickner is slated for a KPD position) that could help bolster the backline.

Hes an extremely short term option though.
Well Merrett would spend 2-3 years in the key forward post and by then Close and/or Michael will have the game to be in the seniors regularly. Avoids a post-JB disaster where we've got Lisle and Staker trying to hold the forward line together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another post moved to the trade hypotheticals thread.

Guys, there are two distinct threads. This one that features trade discussion in terms of what we need broadly (and eventually actual legitimate trade news), and the trade hypotheticals thread, which contains trade hypotheticals. Any further posts detailing hypothetical trade scenarios in this thread will just be deleted instead of moved.

I genuinely think we could get a key defender (of a good quality) easier than a key forward, and Sauce could really shine if he was played there a whole season. Patfull and Adcock could be the old heads in defense, and we could bolster the midfield with pick 5.

I like it more than getting rid of one of our players that we'd want to keep. I think Merrett has the confidence now.

nobody is talking about the GWS pick 10. Assume they would trade this as well. Is this a more realistic target for us?

I would think if they trade pick one they will use pick 10 to land a good talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Talk 2013 - Yeo, Doc, Polec, Karnezis, Longer gone - Welcome Paine, West, Magwon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back