Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 -Pick 8 Jarrod Oakleigh Nichols
2004- Pick 8 John Meesan
2003- Pick 8 Raphael Clarke
2002-Pick 8 Luke Brennan
2000-Pick 8 Daniel motlop
2007-pick 8 lachie Henderson

Just some examples to back up my last post that a pick 8 doesn't guarantee you a good player. Henderson may still get there, granted

2004- Pick 8 John Meesan
2002-Pick 8 Luke Brennan

Just some examples to back up my last post that a pick 8 doesn't guarantee you a good player. Henderson may still get there, granted

No pick guarantees you a good player there are good and bad players taken with every pick. Look at all the good players that have been selected at pick 8 since 2000.

2001-Jimmy Bartel
2006- Ben Reid
2007-Lachie Henderson
2008-Tyrone Vickery
2009-John Butcher
2010- Dion Prestia

Yeah, but that's what I'm saying. Would you prefer to take a guy that is a proven afl player, or would you take a kid,hoping that he becomes a even as good as Beams. Again, not overrating Beams, but he is a good player and likely to get better IMO

2004- Pick 8 John Meesan
2002-Pick 8 Luke Brennan

I don't think the logic you've used there is quite right to back up your point on pick 8 not guaranteeing you a good player. You've only looked at the exact pick and not taken into account any of the players taken in the next few picks when every recruiter would rate players differently. Our recruiter at the moment has some runs on the board from the last few drafts so you would back him to get a 150-200 game player over trading a high pick in the middle of a rebuild. Drafting is much better now than it was in the early 2000's, far more is spent on recruiting and development so that JON's occur less and Henderson/Reid's happen more often.

From 2006 onwards pick 8 looks very close to being guaranteed good player but in the end it all really counts on your recruiter making the right call.

But to me it's like having, let's just say Bryce Gibbs, and trading him for someones pick 5 in the hope that player is going to be good. You take the proven talent, not the hopeful one. I promise not to go on about it anymore

IMO gibbo if you used pick 8 to draft beams 3 years ago you'd hardly be disappointed, now he has 3 years development behind him and is a proven player I'd like to think pick 8 was unders, the difference between beams and rock is minimal IMO, what would you expect for rock?

IMO gibbo if you used pick 8 to draft beams 3 years ago you'd hardly be disappointed, now he has 3 years development behind him and is a proven player I'd like to think pick 8 was unders, the difference between beams and rock is minimal IMO, what would you expect for rock?

Pick 1-3 beams would be worth around pick 10.

I'd like to think pick 8 was unders, the difference between beams and rock is minimal IMO, what would you expect for rock?

Thanks TD for your as usual wonderful contribution. Beams is not worth more than pick 8(pick 8 would be close). I see you've managed to get Rockliff in the picture again lol

Rockliff is worth a pick 4-6 I say. 21 year old best and fairest. Got to be worth something very decent.

Sigh, can't believe I am saying this....... the Collingwood guy gets me haha. Although I don't think pick 8 is unders, about right to me

Sigh, can't believe I am saying this....... the Collingwood guy gets me haha. Although I don't think pick 8 is unders, about right to me

Look, I'll say this for cotter (and and all those who were involved in the polls thread), it all comes down to need basically, a team like collingwood doesn't need a pure mid like rock right now, beams IMO is a much better fit for our list, he can play midfield, he can play fwd.

Ask yourself this, say Colingwood had the year from he'll next year and lost swan, pendles and daisy and beams had to play as a no2 mid, do you think he would be capable of averaging 28 and 1.5 goals a game? If the answer is yes then you havE your answer to his worth.

But to me it's like having, let's just say Bryce Gibbs, and trading him for someones pick 5 in the hope that player is going to be good. You take the proven talent, not the hopeful one. I promise not to go on about it anymore

No harm in disagreeing with someone, this place is boring without it. I agree with you that a certain pick isn't a guarantee of a good player, just didn't think what you said backed up your point. Beams has been playing under the best coach/game plan in the league the last 2-3 years, is surrounded by very good players and the club has far more $ in their football department than what we have. I think Beams is a great player and I would love to have him, but I think he gets a bit overrated* because he is part of a team that wins 90% of its games and a lot of them by decent margins.

...and before anyone jumps in and says I clearly don't watch Beams blah blah blah,
*Overrated does not mean crap. By saying he is overrated I am saying he gets a bit more praise than he actually deserves. Happens with players from every premiership team but not the lions 01-03 :p

Look, I'll say this for cotter (and and all those who were involved in the polls thread), it all comes down to need basically, a team like collingwood doesn't need a pure mid like rock right now, beams IMO is a much better fit for our list, he can play midfield, he can play fwd.

Ask yourself this, say Colingwood had the year from he'll next year and lost swan, pendles and daisy and beams had to play as a no2 mid, do you think he would be capable of averaging 28 and 1.5 goals a game? If the answer is yes then you havE your answer to his worth.

Yes yes, Beams is worth his weight in gold. Let's move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rockliff kicked the most goals in the TAC Cup in the year he was drafted. Not bad for a "pure mid".

Thanks TD for your as usual wonderful contribution. Beams is not worth more than pick 8(pick 8 would be close). I see you've managed to get Rockliff in the picture again lol

Rockliff is worth a pick 4-6 I say. 21 year old best and fairest. Got to be worth something very decent.

According to the AFL a band 3 compo.....:thumbsdown:

Wait, that was last year....:eek:

There's rumours on another forum of Merrett for our compo pick. What's the deal with Merrett's injury?

What an utter load of crap, Merrett would not be going anywhere and if was at this stage of his career would cost a hell of a lot more than a bloody compo pick...he would be easily in out top 5 most valuable players...Bigfooty is such a laugh at times.:rolleyes:

There's rumours on another forum of Merrett for our compo pick. What's the deal with Merrett's injury?

Sounds like unadulterated tripe to me, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

To put it into perspective for you, I think the Lions would consider trading Merrett about the same time the Tigers look at trading Martin (and no I'm not comparing them as players, but their standing at their respective clubs).

To answer your base question though, you can read about Merrett's L4 pars fracture here. While some have suggested the injury was caused by weightlifting I'd also be looking at Merrett's volleyball background.

Sounds like unadulterated tripe to me, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.
But Merrett was like really really bad this year, and then he got injured anyway, so why would we want him?!?!? Plus we have awesome as depth at fullback, so he's actually holding back our young guns. If this trade doesn't get done, I say delist him.

.....:rolleyes:

LULZ would take Rockliff over Beams everyday of the week. Twice on game day.

"Mum said it was funny how one day you're not famous, and the next day you are famous"....The Castle.;)

LULZ would take Rockliff over Beams everyday of the week. Twice on game day.

Merret would cost a lot more than that would have been AA if not for injury. I would not accept anything less than Grimes and your First rounder. Its a false rumor. He is contract(I Think) and we clearly need him as we struggled down back when he got injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back