Mega Thread Trade Targets 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
good morning all.

pardon the intrusion...following Liam Jones jiong the long list of players nominating the Blues, i dug up this info from something i posted a while ago.

liam jones - 66 games: 68 goals. ave 9.2 disposals and 4 marks
barry hall @ 66 games: 89 goals. ave 9.8 dispoals and 5 marks
tom hawkins @ 66 games: 83 goals, 11.5 disposals 5.1 marks
trav cloke @ 66 games: 67 goals, 12.3 disposals and 6 marks

...it puts Liam in the next category down from these guys, a quality AFL forward nonetheless

BUT, when comparing the same players seasons in which they played the 66th game, doesn't make for as pretty reading!

jones this year: 10 games (jones not injured, bulldogs suck), 10 disposals a game, 12 goals (1.2 gpg), 3.5 marks per game (0.9 contested)
hall: 19 games (stk spooners), 12 disposals, 37 goals (1.9gpg), 6.6 marks (1.6 contested)
hawkins: 18 games (cats won GF) 14 disposals, 27 goals (1.5gpg), 5 marks per game (2.3 contested),
cloke: 23 games (pies played in prelim) 13.5 disposals, 40 goals (@1.7gpg), 7 marks per game (1.7 contested)

undeniable talent. questionable drive.

That's not what you said though ;)
You really don't ever concede a discussion do you? Haha.

Big no from me on Liam Jones. We've just got rid of a number of players that can't play football well, why would we replace them with the exact same thing?

good morning all.

pardon the intrusion...following Liam Jones jiong the long list of players nominating the Blues, i dug up this info from something i posted a while ago.

liam jones - 66 games: 68 goals. ave 9.2 disposals and 4 marks
barry hall @ 66 games: 89 goals. ave 9.8 dispoals and 5 marks
tom hawkins @ 66 games: 83 goals, 11.5 disposals 5.1 marks
trav cloke @ 66 games: 67 goals, 12.3 disposals and 6 marks

...it puts Liam in the next category down from these guys, a quality AFL forward nonetheless

BUT, when comparing the same players seasons in which they played the 66th game, doesn't make for as pretty reading!

jones this year: 10 games (jones not injured, bulldogs suck), 10 disposals a game, 12 goals (1.2 gpg), 3.5 marks per game (0.9 contested)
hall: 19 games (stk spooners), 12 disposals, 37 goals (1.9gpg), 6.6 marks (1.6 contested)
hawkins: 18 games (cats won GF) 14 disposals, 27 goals (1.5gpg), 5 marks per game (2.3 contested),
cloke: 23 games (pies played in prelim) 13.5 disposals, 40 goals (@1.7gpg), 7 marks per game (1.7 contested)

undeniable talent. questionable drive.

Not far behind Cloke on 66 games, but point taken, thankx for the info

I've been saying it for a few weeks now, Jones will be a great addition to forward line.

Still allows us the remote positbility to send Henderson back (only if we needed to).

FF: Menzel Casboult Jones

HF: Walker Henderson Thomas

Fairly exciting forward line.

Jones' improved set shot kicking action this season could also be something he could pass onto Levi? :)

Most fire the shot too early...........see Andrew Jarman yesterday.
'Having interest in' and 'genuinely keen' are alone some way apart............and then to get the player in through the door is a whole new process.

Update to OP, anyway:

Players that have been linked to Carlton:

Krisitan Jaksch
Adam Treloar
Tom Mitchell
Sam Reid
Tim Membrey
Ahmed Saad
Jarryd Lyons
Sam Blease
Luke Tapscott
Liam Jones

Matt De Boer
Andrew Gaff
Ben Griffiths
Tom Campbell
Tom Boyd

Shaun Higgins (FA)

In the normal course of things no, but these aren't normal circumstances.

no question. that's why i floated the idea.

jeff's had a few issues and after being better than jones (by far), the wheels have fallen off this year. jones was tracking well enough, but has stalled big time this year. both look like a change of scenery may help them out.

Jones has seriously improved his kicking. Very very reliable shot now.

Would do very very well as a 2nd tall. Sadly, we only gave in that chance in 2011 (next to Barry hall) and bugger me if jones didn't take the 8th most contested marks in the entire competition (as a 20 year old).

Guy is seriously talented, and a good kid. He's ready to roll. Can't believe we're losing him. Great get for you guys if you land him. Sigh.

Jones has seriously improved his kicking. Very very reliable shot now.

Would do very very well as a 2nd tall. Sadly, we only gave in that chance in 2011 (next to Barry hall) and bugger me if jones didn't take the 8th most contested marks in the entire competition (as a 20 year old).

Guy is seriously talented, and a good kid. He's ready to roll. Can't believe we're losing him. Great get for you guys if you land him. Sigh.

But why have you lost him?

Cough up another 100K and you may find you've got yourself a very loyal player.

Krisitan Jaksch
Adam Treloar
Tom Mitchell
Sam Reid
Tim Membrey
Ahmed Saad
Jarryd Lyons
Sam Blease

Luke Tapscott
Liam Jones

My gut feeling is that these will be the players we pick up in bold.
If this is the case, then we will be keeping our first pick (jackpot!), getting Jaksch with our second. Lyons and Jones probably with 3rd or trades and Blease as a late or rookie.

I would very much like us to go after Membrey but feel he would either have to choose us or there won't be much hope. Too many other clubs will come at him and i'm not wanting to get into a bidding war for him.

I see that Norf have offered Higgins four years (HUN says), which is likely when we pulled out, or reportedly did anyway. See m to recall MS3 saying we had offered two years with a trigger for a third? which he had agreed to. Just goes to show that as Harks is wont to say, a deal aint a deal til its done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This off-season is becoming increasingly perplexing.

No doubt a ready to go young tall like Jaksch, with purported star quality is a priority target. I really struggle to see
the need to trade for a second mature KPF type.

MM still talking up Kreuzer as a KPF. Jammo and Rowie seem to be more than adequate as our first choice KPD's, with
Hendo, Watto as back up with young Giles likely to be developed in the 2's after an injury interrupted first season.
Jaksch also a swing man type who can go back.

I am in the camp that believes Watson is a genuine AFL quality player, so definitely include him in the mix.

We re-signed Levi on decent coin which surely demands he be a best 22 player. If he is to continue playing
second ruck, that surely leaves Wood and Warnock in the 2's. Hendo likely/lock to play forward.
Unless Jones comes with a very moderate price tag, why would we bother if Jaksch is "over the line".
Surely we would draft a couple of kids to develop as KPP's rather than have a log jam leaving AFL ready
players in the 2's. For the record have nothing against Jones as an option for reasons covered by other posters.
There are plenty of seemingly decent KPP players in the draft, outside of the few that are hyped, so plenty of options,

I could wear a Sam Frost type who, with good pace would be just as effective as a third tall, and could complement
Jammo and Sam. (Simon White not yet signed???), but...................

Surely if Jaksch is over the line we focus on midfielders/outside run and improved disposal.

Think it's more about him being dirty about selection in the second half of the year.

Players have another week or three to cool off.

He won't be wanting to come to Carlton if the money on offer here, is less than what The Dogs may be willing to offer.

What would Jones be on? I'd imagine more than for his output.

Krisitan Jaksch
Adam Treloar
Tom Mitchell
Sam Reid
Tim Membrey
Ahmed Saad
Jarryd Lyons
Sam Blease

Luke Tapscott
Liam Jones

If this is the case, then we will be keeping our first pick (jackpot!), getting Jaksch with our second. Lyons and Jones probably with 3rd or trades and Blease as a late or rookie.

I would very much like us to go after Membrey but feel he would either have to choose us or there won't be much hope. Too many other clubs will come at him and i'm not wanting to get into a bidding war for him.
Can't help but agree HCJ. Though, talk around Saad was pretty strong i.e. Mick was very interested so may end up rookie-ing him, too. Something like this maybe...?

Jaksch - 2nd rounder
Lyons - Robbo and our 3rd for their 2nd
Jones - 3rd round swap gained from Jeffy/Lucas or straight swap for them.
Blease - Delisted Free Agent
Saad - Rookie Draft

IN: Jaksch, Lyons, Jones, Blease, Saad + Pick 6 and a 2nd rounder (say La Verde + McKenzie) plus 2 x rookie upgrades in Wood + Sheehan
OUT: Robbo, Jeffy/Lucas, 3rd rounder

If that's all we have to give up, and we get those guys + keep a 1st and 2nd round pick, I won't be disappointed. Save our pennies + energy to hit up Boyd or Mitchell next year when out of contract.

2015 quick team before I start work :)

FF: Menzel Casboult Jones
HF: Walker Henderson Thomas
C: Everitt Cripps Gibbs
HB: Docherty Rowe Yarran
B: Buckley Jamison Simpson
R: Kruezer Murphy Curnow
INT: Jaksch Judd Lyons Tuohy

A case could be made for these missing out: Graham, Carrazzo, Watson, Holman, White, Ellard

Surely if Jaksch is over the line we focus on midfielders/outside run and improved disposal.

We need more KPF options than just Jaksch, particularly if Waite leaves...our KPF options are shockingly low...Hendo gets injured and we have no one waiting in the wings to replace him.

Wouldn't mind Jones...bit worried about his apparent lack of drive though...players with talent but low work ethic is what we're trying to weed out

Krisitan Jaksch
Adam Treloar
Tom Mitchell
Sam Reid
Tim Membrey
Ahmed Saad
Jarryd Lyons
Sam Blease

Luke Tapscott
Liam Jones

Getting the same feeling. If we can grab those four and keep our first rounder (or as MS3 suggested, turn #6 into a couple of picks between 10-14) I would be very happy. Bring in some future talent and some players that fill a need while still going into the draft with a decent pick. Sounds good!

We need more KPF options than just Jaksch, particularly if Waite leaves...our KPF options are shockingly low...Hendo gets injured and we have no one waiting in the wings to replace him.

Wouldn't mind Jones...bit worried about his apparent lack of drive though...players with talent but low work ethic is what we're trying to weed out

Exactly and he's sooked it up for not being in the senior side at The Dogs?

Not sure he's going to like Malthouse, Laidley and Buttifant if he can't seriously harden up.

This off-season is becoming increasingly perplexing.

No doubt a ready to go young tall like Jaksch, with purported star quality is a priority target. I really struggle to see
the need to trade for a second mature KPF type.

MM still talking up Kreuzer as a KPF. Jammo and Rowie seem to be more than adequate as our first choice KPD's, with
Hendo, Watto as back up with young Giles likely to be developed in the 2's after an injury interrupted first season.
Jaksch also a swing man type who can go back.

I am in the camp that believes Watson is a genuine AFL quality player, so definitely include him in the mix.

We re-signed Levi on decent coin which surely demands he be a best 22 player. If he is to continue playing
second ruck, that surely leaves Wood and Warnock in the 2's. Hendo likely/lock to play forward.
Unless Jones comes with a very moderate price tag, why would we bother if Jaksch is "over the line".
Surely we would draft a couple of kids to develop as KPP's rather than have a log jam leaving AFL ready
players in the 2's. For the record have nothing against Jones as an option for reasons covered by other posters.
There are plenty of seemingly decent KPP players in the draft, outside of the few that are hyped, so plenty of options,

I could wear a Sam Frost type who, with good pace would be just as effective as a third tall, and could complement
Jammo and Sam. (Simon White not yet signed???), but...................

i think its the fact jaksch is not over the line yet - we wont trade for both nor should we

We wanted Jaksch before we knew Waite was going.
Jones might not be our first priority after Jaksch, but I'm pretty sure we want another KPP on top of Jaksch.

We need at least 3 more on our list (assuming JW gone), but barring trading one out, 1 ready to go upgrade is enough.
We need to establish a workable cycle for the list, surely this means a couple of kids developing, so we never again
experience the abominable imbalance of recent years.

Big boys (193+) and age dynamic

KPP
Waite 32
Jamison 28
Rowe 27
Henderson 25
Casboult 25
Watson 22
Giles 19

Ruck
Wood 28
Warnock 28
Kreuzer 25

Utility
Cripps 19
Everitt 26

Prospective
Jaksch 20
Jones 24

I suppose all of this begs the question, do we, and more importantly MM, believe Jaksch will be best 22 from day one?
Obviously if no, Jones becomes more attractive. If yes, kids please.......... We clearly need a young, developing ruckman.

Bloody hell, what happened to format? Go to edit and fine?????

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back