List Mgmt. Trade Targets 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are very well stocked for key backs. Hombsch, Trengove (is he even a key back anymore?), Austin, Clurey, Carlile. That's 5 AFL standard KPD's. I think we should trade 1 or 2 of Austin, Clurey, Trengove or Carlile. To improve our ruck stocks. Clurey for Nankervis + their 2nd?

carlile is cooked - no one would trade for him.

trengove for 6 would do in a sec
This is an example of people overrating draft picks on this site. I'm not saying that deal is necessarily bad but I'd have to think long and hard about it.

As alluring as another top 10 pick sounds, you have to consider that quite a lot of top 10 picks fail to play 50 games. Of those that do, only about a quarter of them come in and have an immediate impact on clubs - some taking years to develop into AFL footballers.

Ignoring the last few drafts as they haven't had enough time to show their stuff the 2009 - 2012 top 10 picks:
2012: O'Rourke, Plowman, Toumpas - still plodding along on lists waiting to develop. The latter two might not make it.
2011: Longer, Buntine, Sumner - Exactly as above.
2010: Gorringe - probably won't make it. Add to that with Bennel, Day, Polec, Conca, and Caddy as players that are taking a long time to actually develop any consistency or (as in the case of Day, Conca, Caddy) are developing OK but probably weren't worth the pick in hindsight.
2009: Rohan, Butcher, Moore, Melksham - Rohan has been getting a lot of opportunities and can have the odd cracking game but still has absolutely no week to week consistency. The latter 3 have largely been busts.

Trengove is a proven player that we know can have a big impact on games as of right now. What you have to consider isn't that you get a nice shiny top 10 pick - what you really get is a gamble knowing that at least 1 player picked in the top 10 won't make it at all, and at least 2 to 3 others will take 4 to 5 years to really show anything at AFL level.

Gold Coast want a midfielder to replace Prestia. I know he's contracted, but Hartlett is the obvious one. We get Richmonds pick 6.
Is there a decent KPF we can get for pick 6 (or trade for using?). At the least would need a ready made inside mid. I'm for trading Hartlett and would take pick 6 and run. My fear is we'd stuff up and over-reach for a flanker / utility with it (so many drafts stuffed by Port have left me jaded, angry and cynical by varying degrees).

We are very well stocked for key backs. Hombsch, Trengove (is he even a key back anymore?), Austin, Clurey, Carlile. That's 5 AFL standard KPD's. I think we should trade 1 or 2 of Austin, Clurey, Trengove or Carlile. To improve our ruck stocks. Clurey for Nankervis + their 2nd?

Carlile is finished despite having a year left on his contract

Trengove is the only one I'd consider trading as our rebuild will take a while

The old days of clubs getting good players out of the likes of Freo and the Tiggers for sfa, are long gone.

You have to give something to get something, and I wouldn't be adverse to trading Pittard for a ready to go KPF, or big bodied mid, but I wouldn't consider it for speculative draft picks.

Tradeable ( but obviously not all of them ;) )

Pittard
Broadbent
Neade
Hartlett ( prob no chance because of the length of his contract )
Lobbe ( as above )
Jonas

May have some Trade Value

Arch
Butch

Little to No Trade Value

O'Shea
Carlile
Hoon

Delistees

Schulz :'(
Mitchell
Stewart

if there is no interest - Arch, Butch, O'Shea and the Hoon will probably be added to the delistees
Carlile may be given the opportunity to retire.

Last edited:
The old days of clubs getting good players out of the likes of Freo and the Tiggers for sfa, are long gone.

You have to give something to get something, and I wouldn't be adverse to trading Pittard for a ready to go KPF, or big bodied mid, but I wouldn't consider it for speculative draft picks.

Tradeable ( but obviously not all of them ;) )

Pittard
Broadbent
Neade
Hartlett ( prob no chance because of the length of his contract )
Lobbe ( as above )
Jonas

May have some Trade Value

Arch
Butch

Little to No Trade Value

O'Shea
Carlile
Hoon

Delistees

Schulz :'(
Mitchell
Stewart

if there is no interest Arch, Butch, O'Shea and the Hoon will probably be added to the delistees
Carlile may be given the opportunity to retire.
Good post. People seem to focus one one part and ignore other parts though, so expect responses to be.... Trade pittard? For what? Draft picks?

I'm not in the trade Pittard camp but believe Geelong would be very interested as a Mackie replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not in the trade Pittard camp but believe Geelong would be very interested as a Mackie replacement.

Don't think Geelong have any draft picks after selling the farm last trade period.

i wouldnt want Cockatoo for Pittard.
rather Gregson and a 2nd or something.
Just dont see it with Cockatoo

Isn't Gregson another 175cm midget? How many do we need?

Trading for late picks instead of delisting is becoming more important now that academy teams want those late picks. If we can trade a few 2nd and maybe 3rd-tier players for late picks instead of nothing we could possibly get a good player for a few late picks. For example, letting Jacobs go for nothing wasn't all that important at the time but in trading now an extra pick in the 30s can make a huge difference.

Pittard is a player that at the moment we would get high value for possibly overs.

It could be a Lobbe Thurstans oshea moment.

Pittard is a player that at the moment we would get high value for possibly overs.

Except Pittard is a much better player than any of those three, and is more valuable to us than what we'd get in return for him.

There is an obvious difference in that the three mentioned looked at their best when we were flying.

Jasper had been building over the past few seasons and looked (mostly) great in a team that has been absolute garbage. It will be a massive error to trade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back