List Mgmt. Trade Targets 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see any reason to trade anyone out this trade period as all of our guys are undervalued due to poor form so i cant see us getting a good deal for anyone. Id love to head into next season with the below Key Position Depth with everyone fit:

Def: Hombsche Jonas Clurrey Austin Trengrove
Rucks: Ryder Lobbe
Fwds: Dixon Westhoff Plamer/Butcher?

Clearly from those names we don't have the back up to trade anyone out so I wouldn't want to trade anyone out except for maybe Jonas but i would want to get a ready made KPP in return.

Ideally with Ryder and Lobbe available, we should target a 2nd forward in the membrey/bruce type or a 2nd forward who can ruck as i feel having another target next to dixon would do wonders for our forward line structure.

Also feel we could do with another tough mid which Steele is the only one i can see available, but i doubt he wants to come to SA. I have read that GWS have barrett a tough mid in the reserves and also Stewert who is a tall forward not getting games so if we could trade next years 1st or 2nd for one or multiple of (steele, Stewert, barrett) i would think that could worth it.

Apart from them them our trade targets this year should be Daw, Vickery, Cloke, Riewolt or any other talls. Not 100% confident on any that ive mentioned but i would hope out list management would look at the possibilities.

As this year is taught us, you need to have an insurance policy. Lobbe is a serviceable insurance policy

He makes for one very expensive insurance policy, though, which is the problem. If we could find a suitor, receive fair returns, and bring in someone less costly - both in terms of trade value and salary space - that would be a win for us moving forward.

I think North will keep him

As do I - and I believe he recently made clear his desire to remain at North Melbourne, providing they want him - but it would still be worth making inquiries.

I think he's blossomed as a footballer and for the first time that he might actually make it. I'm not talking about the highlight reel either, but games where he's been amongst the best contested ball players in beast mode like Jacko.

This was my thinking, too. There is plenty of talent there to work with, and in the right environment - one where he isn't shafted for a geriatric every other week, or burned on the lead by his teammates, or relegated to the rookie list year after year - he could become something special. Nevertheless, my initial remark was intended to highlight the type of player we should be targeting - someone on the fringe of their existing club, who is athletic, has genuine ability, and wouldn't cost much to recruit and/or further develop. I cite Jack Fitzpatrick as a recent example.

I wouldnt say tapping to advantage was Jackson's forte

Neither would I, but when he wasn't winning us the tap, he was helping us win the clearance. We looked so much cleaner and quicker coming out of the centre when he was there. It was a lot like having another midfielder.

Asked the Geelong Board what they think we'd need to offer for Vardy.

The gist of the message is, make an offer and he's ours (according to them). If that is the case then **** off Vickery, LET'S GO VARDY!

He's on too big a wage to be an insurance policy.

A rookie from the SANFL could do the same thing for 1/4 of the price.

Which is due to us signing him for a big long term deal (self inflicted). If a rookie can do the same thing for 1/4 of the price why wouldnt the club we are trying to offload lobbe to get that same rookie?

Don't see any reason to trade anyone out this trade period as all of our guys are undervalued due to poor form so i cant see us getting a good deal for anyone. Id love to head into next season with the below Key Position Depth with everyone fit:

Def: Hombsche Jonas Clurrey Austin Trengrove
Rucks: Ryder Lobbe
Fwds: Dixon Westhoff Plamer/Butcher?

Clearly from those names we don't have the back up to trade anyone out so I wouldn't want to trade anyone out except for maybe Jonas but i would want to get a ready made KPP in return.

Ideally with Ryder and Lobbe available, we should target a 2nd forward in the membrey/bruce type or a 2nd forward who can ruck as i feel having another target next to dixon would do wonders for our forward line structure.

Also feel we could do with another tough mid which Steele is the only one i can see available, but i doubt he wants to come to SA. I have read that GWS have barrett a tough mid in the reserves and also Stewert who is a tall forward not getting games so if we could trade next years 1st or 2nd for one or multiple of (steele, Stewert, barrett) i would think that could worth it.

Apart from them them our trade targets this year should be Daw, Vickery, Cloke, Riewolt or any other talls. Not 100% confident on any that ive mentioned but i would hope out list management would look at the possibilities.

What the hell is a clurrey, trengrove, hombsche and plamer?

Which is due to us signing him for a big long term deal (self inflicted). If a rookie can do the same thing for 1/4 of the price why wouldnt the club we are trying to offload lobbe to get that same rookie?

Because they might see him as their first ruck option. We have Ryder coming back, who will be ours. Richmond, Bulldogs, etc don't really have one that they can build a midfield around.

Why would another club offer two first rounders for Hartlett last year, when we as PAFC fans know he was never worth that?

Why would a club have offered a first rounder for Lobbe last year?

Why did St. Kilda apparently offer a second rounder for O'Shea?

Other teams think they can get something else out of players that have stagnated at their current clubs, that's why. Same as we have done with Schulz and White in recent seasons.

Last edited:
Looking at this list of free agents(some of whom have since re-signed, retired or are not being offered a contract) who do you think we may be looking at?

Some are unrealistic targets, some not in our needs. Chris Mayne looks the best but he will demand a long and expensive contract and is rumoured to want to go to Victoria.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-03/the-2016-free-agent-list

Looking at this list of free agents(some of whom have since re-signed, retired or are not being offered a contract) who do you think we may be looking at?

Some are unrealistic targets, some not in our needs. Chris Mayne looks the best but he will demand a long and expensive contract and is rumoured to want to go to Victoria.

Everyone wants to go to Victoria.
It's time that SA gets our own Academy zones to pick from and a COLA.

Last edited:

Think Mayne to North Melbourne is a done deal listening to one of the Fremantle players being interviewed last night after the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is not a diss on Pittard.

If we we want value he would be the guy.

He is a flanker he aint a kpp or an elite midfielder. Lets face it we have ample players who can replace him in that position maybe not as good but still.

No we don't. It's not as simple as 'he's a half back flanker and we have other half back flankers'. He's a very specific type of half back flanker. He runs, he creates, he breaks lines, he takes the game on.

Not only do we not have another defender of that type on our list, plenty of clubs don't even have one defender of that type on their list.

Adelaide: Brodie Smith
Brisbane: None
Carlton: None
Collingwood: None
Essendon: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Fremantle: None
Geelong: None
Gold Coast: Adam Saad, Jarrod Harbrow
GWS: Nathan Wilson
Hawthorn: None
Melbourne: Jayden Hunt
North Melbourne: Shaun Atley, but he's shit
Richmond: Chris Yarran
St Kilda: None
Sydney: None
West Coast: None
Western Bulldogs: Jason Johannisen

finding a new a new key forward should be a piece of cake i just did a quick search the giants reserves for ex first round draft picks over 190cm that are not getting a game and there is Harrison Himmelberg,James Stewart and Cam McCarthy and Will Hoskin-Elliott if you want a quality mid. offer them more money more game time and trade them in for cam o shea and a 4th rounder and jackpot one of them will come good surely. how much reserve players cost anyway..ps ive never seen tham play but im sure they will be guns.

finding a new a new key forward should be a piece of cake i just did a quick search the giants reserves for ex first round draft picks over 190cm that are not getting a game and there is Harrison Himmelberg,James Stewart and Cam McCarthy and Will Hoskin-Elliott if you want a quality mid. offer them more money more game time and trade them in for cam o shea and a 4th rounder and jackpot one of them will come good surely. how much reserve players cost anyway..ps ive never seen tham play but im sure they will be guns.
Cam McCarthy, is he the one who dropped out this season and returned home to Perth? As for the others, hopefully Chad Cornes has some inside info and pull factor?

No we don't. It's not as simple as 'he's a half back flanker and we have other half back flankers'. He's a very specific type of half back flanker. He runs, he creates, he breaks lines, he takes the game on.

Not only do we not have another defender of that type on our list, plenty of clubs don't even have one defender of that type on their list.

Brisbane: Rueben William
Collingwood: Marley Williams
GWS: Nathan Wilson, Zac Williams
Richmond: Chris Yarran, Bachar Houli
fixed, but see your point

Out of those, James Stewart, please!!! Hoskin Elliott would cost far too much.

GWS will seriously cash in with the players they have developed though clubs trading decent picks for them. A super draft coming up in 2018 they will be set up for the next decade.

fixed, but see your point

What's a Rueben William? Is he one of Portia's Police Academy characters?

I'll give you Zac Williams, but Houli is more of a rich man's Matthew Broadbent than a Jasper Pittard type. Houli averaged 0.3 bounces a game this year. Jasper averaged more than five times that.

Last edited:

Brisbane: None
Collingwood: None
GWS: Nathan Wilson
Richmond: Chris Yarran

Again I'm not in the trade Pittard camp but Riley Bonner is another of that type on our list. Once he has some experience and physical maturity he will be a damaging option especially with that super kick of his and off either side. And he appears to have defensive capability as well.

I have barely seen anything of Freo this year but Stephen Hill was that type of player unless they've moved him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back