List Mgmt. Trade Targets 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pittard is one of our few 'almost' untouchables. The only possible reason we'd consider trading him would be to bring in a ready made young genuine mid e.g. Prestia.

There is absolutely no way we should be entertaining trading Pittard for a draft pick!

No we don't. It's not as simple as 'he's a half back flanker and we have other half back flankers'. He's a very specific type of half back flanker. He runs, he creates, he breaks lines, he takes the game on.

Not only do we not have another defender of that type on our list, plenty of clubs don't even have one defender of that type on their list.

Adelaide: Brodie Smith
Brisbane: None
Carlton: None
Collingwood: None
Essendon: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Fremantle: None
Geelong: None
Gold Coast: Adam Saad, Jarrod Harbrow
GWS: Nathan Wilson
Hawthorn: None
Melbourne: Jayden Hunt
North Melbourne: Shaun Atley, but he's shit
Richmond: Chris Yarran
St Kilda: None
Sydney: None
West Coast: None
Western Bulldogs: Jason Johannisen
Exactly because looking at the teams they would rather a glorified kpf or elite mid than a glorified hbf.

then there is also impey.

Last edited:
Pittard is one of our few 'almost' untouchables. The only possible reason we'd consider trading him would be to bring in a ready made young genuine mid e.g. Prestia.

There is absolutely no way we should be entertaining trading Pittard for a draft pick!
No, the ONLY way we would consider trading him is if he has already told us he wants out with free agency at the end of next year.

Again I'm not in the trade Pittard camp but Riley Bonner is another of that type on our list. Once he has some experience and physical maturity he will be a damaging option especially with that super kick of his and off either side. And he appears to have defensive capability as well.

I have barely seen anything of Freo this year but Stephen Hill was that type of player unless they've moved him.

Might be going over the top a little bit, but i really do think Bonner could end up a Heath Shaw type of player. That would be huge for us if this happened.

GWS will seriously cash in with the players they have developed though clubs trading decent picks for them. A super draft coming up in 2018 they will be set up for the next decade.

its when free agency kicks in for them that they will struggle a bit. But even then they will get compo picks. Its going to be hard to reel that beast in while we are playing our rookies and pick 70 odds against their plethora of top 10s. Luckily they dont have salary cap releif and academy zones to make them even stronger...oh wait....

This is not a diss on Pittard.

If we we want value he would be the guy.

He is a flanker he aint a kpp or an elite midfielder. Lets face it we have ample players who can replace him in that position maybe not as good but still.

I think if their is a chance to bring in something we really need like an inside mid Pittard would be a value trade for us.

Pittard is seriously underrated on this board. Like Polec when in form, Pittard cuts swathes and finds a way through. Why do we trade him and settle with a less capable replacement? Crazy.

No we don't. It's not as simple as 'he's a half back flanker and we have other half back flankers'. He's a very specific type of half back flanker. He runs, he creates, he breaks lines, he takes the game on.

Not only do we not have another defender of that type on our list, plenty of clubs don't even have one defender of that type on their list.

At last! Some sense! Super post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly because looking at the teams they would rather a glorified kpf or elite mid than a glorified hbf.

then there is also impey.

Impey struggled badly when played as a line-breaking defender to the point that he was dropped on more than one occasion. Since he's been moved to the wing/HFF role, he's gone from strength to strength and is now a lock in our best side. Maybe you should take that as a sign that the line breaking defender role isn't as easy to replace as you seem to think it is?

I don't get it. theres no way we trade Pittard. replace him with DBJ or Bonner you say...? if DBJ starts next season like he played in the last 2 months he won't be in the side after round 6. Bonner's 6kg underweight played one game with 75% hack kicks to the point where AFLplayerratings which goo over clean disposal had him in our bottom 3 for the day in one of the most uncontested games all year. Pittard is an established star in a super damaging position in the modern game with no obvious replacement in our squad and hardly any in the AFL. the value of a Pittard vs a Broadbent is inexplicable, Pittard is one you couldn't get his true value on the open market.

This is an example of people overrating draft picks on this site. I'm not saying that deal is necessarily bad but I'd have to think long and hard about it.

As alluring as another top 10 pick sounds, you have to consider that quite a lot of top 10 picks fail to play 50 games. Of those that do, only about a quarter of them come in and have an immediate impact on clubs - some taking years to develop into AFL footballers.

Ignoring the last few drafts as they haven't had enough time to show their stuff the 2009 - 2012 top 10 picks:
2012: O'Rourke, Plowman, Toumpas - still plodding along on lists waiting to develop. The latter two might not make it.
2011: Longer, Buntine, Sumner - Exactly as above.
2010: Gorringe - probably won't make it. Add to that with Bennel, Day, Polec, Conca, and Caddy as players that are taking a long time to actually develop any consistency or (as in the case of Day, Conca, Caddy) are developing OK but probably weren't worth the pick in hindsight.
2009: Rohan, Butcher, Moore, Melksham - Rohan has been getting a lot of opportunities and can have the odd cracking game but still has absolutely no week to week consistency. The latter 3 have largely been busts.

Trengove is a proven player that we know can have a big impact on games as of right now. What you have to consider isn't that you get a nice shiny top 10 pick - what you really get is a gamble knowing that at least 1 player picked in the top 10 won't make it at all, and at least 2 to 3 others will take 4 to 5 years to really show anything at AFL level.

for a KPF id take the risk

R

Richmond!!!! Yarran didn't play a game in2016..not in Jasper's class

Impey struggled badly when played as a line-breaking defender to the point that he was dropped on more than one occasion. Since he's been moved to the wing/HFF role, he's gone from strength to strength and is now a lock in our best side. Maybe you should take that as a sign that the line breaking defender role isn't as easy to replace as you seem to think it is?
Because he is replacable. He is a hbf that can run some other teams prefer hbf that can kick. Not a kpf or elite mid.

My point is he has a high value at the moment if he is used in a trade to get a valued inside mid why wouldnt we.

Last edited:

*nitpick alert*
Pearce Hanley is probably the best creative half back in the game when on. But I agree with everything you say here.

I think Ken has realised that this year less will be more with trading. Dix may do better if we can sort out our delivery but he was not the replacement for Schulz we expected. For one thing he doesn't have the soft hands, the unerring eye or the tank. Ryder was always going to be a risk for at least 12 months with WADA hanging over him. After our successes with Polec and White Hinkley may have gone a bit trade-happy as Williams did after his pre-2004 trades.
I can see a very quiet trade period for us, maybe there may be someone minor who wants to come back to SA or who wants a game where they can't get one at their club. But there are too many rumours flying around to listen to any of them.
A bloke I meet at the march from the mall was confidently throwing around the names of four players who were "going" to come home. No-one else I know has said anything about any of these players, this guy is just fishing and knows that next year nobody will remember that he made 4 predictions and was incorrect 4 times.

I think Ken has realised that this year less will be more with trading. Dix may do better if we can sort out our delivery but he was not the replacement for Schulz we expected. For one thing he doesn't have the soft hands, the unerring eye or the tank. Ryder was always going to be a risk for at least 12 months with WADA hanging over him. After our successes with Polec and White Hinkley may have gone a bit trade-happy as Williams did after his pre-2004 trades.
I can see a very quiet trade period for us, maybe there may be someone minor who wants to come back to SA or who wants a game where they can't get one at their club. But there are too many rumours flying around to listen to any of them.
A bloke I meet at the march from the mall was confidently throwing around the names of four players who were "going" to come home. No-one else I know has said anything about any of these players, this guy is just fishing and knows that next year nobody will remember that he made 4 predictions and was incorrect 4 times.

at least tell us who the 4 are...nothing like a good rumour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back