Mega Thread Trade Targets 2018 (2018 Trade Period Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think we have the list to win a flag.
Do we have the game plan, hard edge and courage at the selection table is probably the big question. A bit of luck doesn't go astray.

Surely the best trade targets are in this draft.
The more I look at the players I don't think 3 picks in top 20 is enough.
Would like 1 more and build a goal kicking midfield that keeps producing to 2030.

Rankine
Rozee
Hately
Bytel
Woodcock

What would Lynch, Rat and Pick 38 get us?
Or Lynch Rat and next years 1st.

Build a great midfield and Lukosius will be begging to be traded after 2-3 years of limited or crap delivery from Brisbane or Carlton mids knowing he's going to get a decade of lace out supply.
Forward line of Rozee Fogarty Rankine, McGovern, Lukosius + any flog will look good next to these.

Unless Roo is being coy he laughed at the suggestion of Gov, we don’t need a defender and don’t have the cap.
I think we do need at least a developing KPD, Keath is starting to look like he doesn't have a body that is going to stand up to the rigours or work load of the AFL system and he's basically our only real depth in that area , Hartigan and Cheney seem to be have recurring hamstring issues which is a worry. In an ideal world Otten is only depth and isn't playing AFL. Dear has been tried and failed to impress down back in the SANFL, really can't see us persevering with him on our list much longer unless he all of a sudden shows massive improvement.

I think we do need at least a developing KPD, Keath is starting to look like he doesn't have a body that is going to stand up to the rigours or work load of the AFL system and he's basically our only real depth in that area , Hartigan and Cheney seem to be have recurring hamstring issues which is a worry. In an ideal world Otten is only depth and isn't playing AFL. Dear has been tried and failed to impress down back in the SANFL, really can't see us persevering with him on our list much longer unless he all of a sudden shows massive improvement.
Get Gov and Hartigan becomes depth

I think we have the list to win a flag.
Do we have the game plan, hard edge and courage at the selection table is probably the big question. A bit of luck doesn't go astray.

Surely the best trade targets are in this draft.
The more I look at the players I don't think 3 picks in top 20 is enough.
Would like 1 more and build a goal kicking midfield that keeps producing to 2030.

Rankine
Rozee
Hately
Bytel
Woodcock

What would Lynch, Rat and Pick 38 get us?
Or Lynch Rat and next years 1st.

Build a great midfield and Lukosius will be begging to be traded after 2-3 years of limited or crap delivery from Brisbane or Carlton mids knowing he's going to get a decade of lace out supply.
Forward line of Rozee Fogarty Rankine, McGovern, Lukosius + any flog will look good next to these.
Unless Woodcock has an amazing growth spurt he's not playing AFL midfield.

Riley Grundy?

I’d love to land J.McGovern but the Eagles would surely match to force a trade and I’d hate to give up any early picks in this draft.

I reckon we could manage the $$ given we’re likely losing at least one of Sloane and Lynch, plus have Hampton and Mackay out of contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our most pressing needs are the midfield and our aging forward line.
I don't think that we should be addressing these areas by trade/free agency. Our forwards aren't exactly ready to retire - Waker (28), Lynch (27), Betts (31), Jenkins (29), McGovern (23). Out of that group, only Betts has showed signs of slowing down but he is still one of the best small forwards in the game. I would be happy to trade in the long term Betts replacement as they can play along side Betts in place of Gallucci until Betts retires, but only if there is a quality small forward available otherwise draft one or look at Fantasia in a couple of years time.

It is likely that Walker and Lynch will still be playing for another 4 years and Jenkins at least another 2 so any player we bring in is going to be wasted playing in the SANFL until then. We would be better off looking to the draft and our current young players (Fog, Gallucci, Murphy, etc.) to replace them.

Our starting inside midfield is very strong and very deep - Sloane, Gibbs, B.Crouch, M.Crouch, Douglas, Greenwood - and our outside midfield - Smith, Atkins, Seedsman, Milera - is as strong as it has ever been (as it is, when our best 22 are all fit one of these players will miss out). You can never have too many midfielders but by trading in a new one it will mean a quality player like Greenwood, Douglas or Milera will be dropped. That would seem like a waste of resources to me. We could do with some more young midfielders coming through to replace the likes of Douglas, Sloane and Gibbs as they filter out over the next 4 years but they can be picked up through the draft or traded in when needed.

When our best 22 are all on the park the clear standout weakness to me is Hartigan. In my opinion replacing Hartigan with someone like McGovern would be the biggest improvement we could make with one single player acquisition.

That was one of the concerns I wrote about earlier. When you look at our list we have a few up and coming key position players but none that really stand out or aren't bloody injured a fair proportion of the time. The potential is there but I would like the squad to get a touch deeper with players who can play the spine in future years.

we will lose Sloane so our midfield should be a priority

Bring back Bas - nice post above, I agree that adding J.McGovern would be gold, but the likely loss of Sloane brings our midfield back to the pack in terms of absolute quality (especially given how often Brad Crouch is injured).

I’d love to land two midfield guns in the draft. Losing Sloane but adding J.McGovern and two of Rankine/Hately/Rozee is the best outcome for me.

we will lose Sloane so our midfield should be a priority
Arenthere any serious midfield trade targets who are best in class?

Dodged the bullet with Motlop last year, but some outside speed and skill is what we need IMO

What do you regard as the most pressing needs?
Depending on Sloane, another gun mid is of pressing concern regardless of how the lesser lights have done thus far.

Gov Snr would be a great get but not at that cost.

Bring back Bas - nice post above, I agree that adding J.McGovern would be gold, but the likely loss of Sloane brings our midfield back to the pack in terms of absolute quality (especially given how often Brad Crouch is injured).

I’d love to land two midfield guns in the draft. Losing Sloane but adding J.McGovern and two of Rankine/Hately/Rozee is the best outcome for me.
Young Tom Lewis from Sturt looks very very promising as a midfielder that we should have every chance of looking at with Carlton's pick and I really like the look of Mihail Lochowiak with a later pick..is raw but looks strong, fast and could become a very good player. Ideally with 2 1st round picks, carltons 2nd and 3rd round picks we should get 4 really good quality players into the club and even with a later pick we could also bring in some real talent. I think the club should be targeting midfielders first and formost and maybe a KPD. Then if Sloane leaves, we will get another 1st rounder and to get in top end talent

We definitely need to look at our key position depth and quality

Why not have a stab at J Gov . Imagine having the brothers for the next 6 yrs +. Getting Jez will lock in Mitch forever both star factor

Jez is a gun defender but could also be a gun forward / 2nd ruck

FA - have a stab

I'm starting to think Rory stays so cap the main issue

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back