List Mgmt. Trade Targets / Rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
BuT He KiCkEd 8 On TrEnT GoOdReM

I think he has potential up forward, but not with Hinkley coaching who we all have seen coaches the most dysfunctional forward line in the comp. Get some better ball users in the middle and hit Doogs up on the lead and have crumbers around him. Not BoMb It LoNg to the opposition key defenders playing on Sam Gray.

He is strong over head, a very good set shot, has pace so is good on the lead and good if the ball comes out the back. Getting moved forward against the crows in the first showdown he turned the game, had that move been made earlier we may have won. Just like swapping him and Westhoff against the Lions at the Gabba could have won us that game.

Schulzenfest rather than reply to your countless replies, I will simply say if Howard thinks he is bigger than everyone else he can pack his Giants scarf fu** right off.

There are plenty of people who think he has great potential as a forward. It has been said Montgomery is the one who thinks he isn't a defender. So apparently it's not entirely Hinkley's decision and shock horror he listens to his assistants. Watching the s**tshow GWS served up yesterday he probably listened to Nicks too.

I think Hinkley should have been removed but they are sticking with him and with the way they want to play, which Montgomery strongly influences going by the member convention.

If there are players who think they know better and want to pull in different directions, that is the surest way for everything to really turn to s**t. So yeah, they can go.

The difference at current day Port Adelaide is that when a player thinks they know better than our coaching staff, they're probably right.

It was Kornes who started the talk about Dougal not being happy a week or more before the story on afl.com so it's true I'd say.. more leaks than a sieve to Kornes at the club

I suspect it would be fairly obvious who is leaking stuff to Kornes, but we know our weak admin doesn't have the stones to sort it out!

The difference at current day Port Adelaide is that when a player thinks they know better than our coaching staff, they're probably right.

Yes because our players are all faultless paragons of football professionalism.

I like Doogs and definitely dont want to lose him, but are people genuinely happy with his defensive craft?

In the air he is amazing

On the ground his ability is fine but his decision making when the ball hits the deck is definitely below average. It’s why I would have pumped bulk games into him there to increase his experience.

Having said that we have plenty of good ground defenders (or can find them)

Every premierships defensive group is built of guys with different strengths. We definitely need a fast mobile tall guy who can control the air.
In fact it’s our most pressing need in our team bar a target kf. And miraculously we happen to have a guy who fits one massive need but Hinkley thinks he knows better than centuries of football.

In the air he is amazing

On the ground his ability is fine but his decision making when the ball hits the deck is definitely below average. It’s why I would have pumped bulk games into him there to increase his experience.

Having said that we have plenty of good ground defenders (or can find them)

Every premierships defensive group is built of guys with different strengths. We definitely need a fast mobile tall guy who can control the air.
In fact it’s our most pressing need in our team bar a target kf. And miraculously we happen to have a guy who fits one massive need but Hinkley thinks he knows better than centuries of football.

If we had anything resembling KPD depth, and not just Grundy, who in football terms is a foetus, then id be ok with moving him on.

And as i said, after the showdown, just about everyone on here was blasting the club “hes a natural forward, why have we wasted him down back” etc etc. he has one shit game and its back to “****in hell, hes a natural defender, this club doesnt know” etc etc

Because Richmond are coached by someone competent. If Damien Hardwick tells a player that they should play a certain role for the benefit of the team, Damien Hardwick has credibility as a coach and you should trust him. If a coach who hasn't won a final for 5 years and is on the precipice of being sacked tells you that you should play a certain role for the benefit of the team, why should you believe that he has any idea what the best thing for the team is?

Do you think that immensely talented 23 year old tall Dougal Howard ending the season in the SANFL while Justin god damn Westhoff played as a key defender was for the benefit of the team?

Hardwick had buy in from all his players in 2017. Before that Richmond were sputtering along. They hadn’t won a final until that point either. Three finals series, three first round exits.

Statistically, Westhoff is a better defender than Howard. There was a reason why Howard wasn’t in the team for the first two games. He was asked to learn a different way of defending and in the time he spent down back he never put it all together. He can do one thing but not multiple things at the same time.

That’s why being a forward is his go. A key forward doesn’t have to worry about anything but his own game - he doesn’t need to help others, he doesn’t need to mop up the mess, he doesn’t need to worry about positioning up the field. All he needs to do is to keep separation, present, go after the ball and kick goals.

At the start of the year, the new coaches said that they hadn’t seen any reason why the players were untrustworthy. At the time I thought “Give it time, they’ll show you why.”

That’s just a bull s**t story. They could have added Pickett with Rance already ruled out for the season. It’s a made up fairytale.
They didn't write off Rance for the season though. Richmond were always hoping to get him back. Even down to the fact that they did seem to be pushing too hard to get him back at the end of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m really concerned with the vortex of 22-25 year olds in our roster if this all happens

It's quite frightening really. Almost all of our talent is either in the 22 or under category or in the 30+ category. It's reminiscent of the late Choco years where we had the remnants of the 2004 premiership team plus the Boak, Gray, Westhoff, Hartlett, etc, group but nothing in the prime age. We all know how that turned out once the older guys vacated.

I like Doogs and definitely dont want to lose him, but are people genuinely happy with his defensive craft?

The revisionism in this thread is just ridiculous.

Dougal had some genuinely terrible games as a backman this year. The first Brisbane game springs to mind immediately. He regularly makes atrocious and costly errors, particularly at ground level. He has his strengths but also has significant weaknesses in his game. You'd be forgiven for thinking he was the next Alex Rance by some of the carry on in this thread.

At the end of the day, there's a reason why he started and finished the season playing in the SANFL.

This club just cannot ever solve a player that is at the crossroads. I think the coaches have created this issue with Howard.

Howard has impressive agility, marking ability and excellent acceleration and closing speed. You can make something of this guy.

Here's Howard who is drafted as a forward/ruck and appears to play really well there in the sanfl but due to not having hardly any tall defenders and a flock of forwards such as Harvey/Frampton/Butcher or Eddy/Frampton/Butcher, whatever the mix of talls we had, is then made to play in defence whereby he takes it on and plays it really well. The coaches then deem him to be a defender by discovery. As a main defender he's reading the airball, marking when he should and spoiling when he should, playing confidently. He then begins to play regular afl where you see him spoiling everything when he should mark half of them, then to fill the needs of the team he moves into second or first ruck, then back, then forward when we are being flogged, then they start him as a floating high forward in China but don't persist with him. Of course he's going to lose form and confidence.

At the end of the day, there's a reason why he started and finished the season playing in the SANFL.
And he improved after that. Some people are able to see that he was playing vastly better in the lead up to the China game.

Yes people were calling for Dougal to go forward, but it wasn't because he was terrible down back, but because we had nothing up front.

The revisionism in this thread is just ridiculous.

Dougal had some genuinely terrible games as a backman this year. The first Brisbane game springs to mind immediately. He regularly makes atrocious and costly errors, particularly at ground level. He has his strengths but also has significant weaknesses in his game. You'd be forgiven for thinking he was the next Alex Rance by some of the carry on in this thread.

Yep. If his name was Pittard he'd be copping all types of abuse. There was a game last year, it may have been against GWS where his basic shitting the bed errors directly cost 3 goals. Again, I think Dougal is worth persisting with, especially given our lack of tall defenders, but superstar he ain't.

If we had anything resembling KPD depth, and not just Grundy, who in football terms is a foetus, then id be ok with moving him on.

And as i said, after the showdown, just about everyone on here was blasting the club “hes a natural forward, why have we wasted him down back” etc etc. he has one s**t game and its back to “fu**in hell, hes a natural defender, this club doesnt know” etc etc

That’s a reflection on most of our supporters being idiots, not Howard’s value to us as a player in the coming years.

There is something not right with all this. Surely howard wouldnt just spit the dummy just because the club thinks he can be a better foward than defender? He has a secure 3 year contract here. There is no guarantee if he goes to another club their just gonna play him in defense like he wants he may not like what they have to say either after they see him playing? I dont get it. The club must be forcing this to try and set up a trade for another player they desperately want to come to us. I see no other reason

He’s a total bombscare back there.

He has his calamitous moments, but shifting him around and dropping him in favour of McKenzie and Westhoff in defence isn’t going to remedy that, or our needs going forward.

Led the league in total and average spoils in 2018 (ahead of Rance, Andrews and Davis), so the foundation is there to build upon as per his ‘defensive craft’.

If Hinkley and his polo-shirted friends can’t best develop/utilise him, history suggests we’ll scapegoat the player though.

It's lucky we persisted with Dan Houston as a medium forward. Imagine if he had been moved into defence or funnier still onto the ball. I could have understood him walking out in the face of such madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back