Trades and draft selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems Sydney has complicated things with Sherman apparently they have offered him 400k a year and an earlier pick than our componsation pick

Happy to see the dogs going after Sherman & Djerrkura, Vrez to a lesser degree but we dont need another tall forward at this stage. Im not sure if Santaclaus would add any value as we're already stacked tall on the forward line.

They would be looking at him purely as tall defender depth in case .. you know what.. happens. shudder.

Marcovic to be delisted if we pick up his replacement.

Really?

Our forwardline seriously lacks pace and as Sherman has this he would be a ceratin starter on a HFF.

From our PF team we will lose Johnson, Eagleton & Hahn (may be retained, but isn't in our best 22) who all played forward roles and need to be replaced.

Jones in for Hahn, Higgins in for Johnson and Eagle was a midfielder more than a forward. Try Howard, Wallis or Libba for Eagle.....

HF: Murphy Jones Grant
FF: Hooper Hall Higgins

You could also include Gia, Picken (defensive forward perhaps), Roughead as resting Ruckman to stretch the defence....

Now, I'm not saying we don't need more options and we shouldn't get Sherman, but we do have some replacements for our departing forwards...

Jones in for Hahn, Higgins in for Johnson and Eagle was a midfielder more than a forward. Try Howard, Wallis or Libba for Eagle.....

You could also include Gia, Picken (defensive forward perhaps), Roughead as resting Ruckman to stretch the defence....

Now, I'm not saying we don't need more options and we shouldn't get Sherman, but we do have some replacements for our departing forwards...

We do have some options for replacement but then will lack depth, in the end most clubs will use 30+ players in any one season. If Sherman provides this depth the we should get him, if he adds to our other deficiencies ie pace then we should get him

Sherman will play on a wing, sometimes heading back to the HB line for mine. We need pace through the middle and Sherman would provide that, with Murphy playing back & Wood playing 22 + finals to provide us with the run we miss with Harbrow moving on - assuming we don't pick up a Harbrow replacement of course, which sound possible according to some rumours.

Howard, Libba & Wallis wont be ready for 22 games in 2011 IMO

Agree with the first 2... Disagree with the last one. Eagleton played primarily as a HF over the last 6 weeks. We need someone with pace to replace him and the 3 listed options aren't the right types to play this role just yet.

Don't agree with Murphy or Hooper in this line-up. Hooper might break in at some point, but isn't ready yet and I think Murf is better suited in the back half.

Gia is slow (but talented), Picken plays as a defensive midfielder and Roughy would only play in the forwardline when Jones or Hall are resting.

We need to add some ready-made small/ mid sized forwards to our list and it sounds like we are trying to do so.

Agree with the first 2... Disagree with the last one. Eagleton played primarily as a HF over the last 6 weeks. We need someone with pace to replace him and the 3 listed options aren't the right types to play this role just yet.

Don't agree with Murphy or Hooper in this line-up. Hooper might break in at some point, but isn't ready yet and I think Murf is better suited in the back half.

We need to add some ready-made small/ mid sized forwards to our list and it sounds like we are trying to do so.

Agree.. Murph played his best footy this year rebounding on the 1/2 back flank. And Sherman could be used as another running player with Griffen. This would allow Picken to play a more defensive tagging role which he seems to be good at

Djerrkurra (if we land him) would be better suited to an attacking fwd role across the F50. Hooper would then be given time to develop his role

We do have some options for replacement but then will lack depth, in the end most clubs will use 30+ players in any one season. If Sherman provides this depth the we should get him, if he adds to our other deficiencies ie pace then we should get him

Agreed, I was just trying to highlight that it's not all doom and gloom upfront.

Sherman will play on a wing, sometimes heading back to the HB line for mine. We need pace through the middle and Sherman would provide that, with Murphy playing back & Wood playing 22 + finals to provide us with the run we miss with Harbrow moving on - assuming we don't pick up a Harbrow replacement of course, which sound possible according to some rumours.

Howard, Libba & Wallis wont be ready for 22 games in 2011 IMO

You might be right, but I thought the long term plan for Howard was to replace either Gilbee or Eagleton, but I haven't seen enough of him to know where he is at. I suppose at this stage of the year I'm just optimistic enough to hope some of our younger guys make the breakthrough each year.... Like Grant, Wood, Jones and Roughead this year...

Libba and Wallis have reportedly spent a lot of time at the club, so may adapt quicker than you expect as well...

Gia is slow (but talented), Picken plays as a defensive midfielder and Roughy would only play in the forwardline when Jones or Hall are resting.

I agree with trying to address our weaknesses. Eagle may have played forward due to a lack of options/cover, I tend to remember his as a winger though.... As we may suffer injuries again, we do need depth, as others have commented on. I think (just my opinion) that Picken has the pace and commitment needed for a defensive forward role.

I like Murphy up forward, but that depends on others regaining form (Gilbee and Hargrave), but I do take your point that Hooper may need more time....

Sydney were spewing when we drafted them in 2005. They were desperate for him. I know they rate him, but I don't know if we'd want to give him away after his finals performances.

Addison may be a case of buy low, sell highest. DFA was awesome in the finals series and his currency must be sky high for someone who was lambasted on this board mid season and was in and out of the team.

If we could keep the compensation pick or Addison, I'd take the pick and save it until after GWS enters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's looking likely you guys will get Djerrkura, and for cheap too. Cats have a habit of trading for picks they won't use to re-settle players that want to leave. He'll be great if he gets the game time and stays fit :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Trades and draft selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back