Trades that left you speechless

Remove this Banner Ad

Ease up. North are 28-21 without Wells in the same period. He's a good player and I'm sad to see him go but he doesn't have the same impact on North that Deledio has on Richmond...
Fair enough. Falling into the commentators trap of saying 'player looks dangerous' when being inefficient (Thomas).

Wells always had a certain amount of meekness about his play but his character and style were always elite.

Russell Greene to Hawthorn for Mark Scott and Tony King. I was only a kid and he was my favourite player and the concept of a player changing sides (mid-season too) just seemed completely baffling to me...

Was pretty shocked when McEvoy was traded to Hawthorn, many on our board were talking of him as a future captain. In hindsight this trade will go down as a big win/win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So just pretend we traded 32 for Naknervis and 46 for Hampson

Agree. I've learned to accept that Trades and Draft picks are swings and roundabouts. I've also learned that there's a lot of shenanigans that go on in the AFL and amongst clubs, and I just wish they'd stop taking us as fools.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we are both wrong.
I read somewhere it was pick 2 but looking further I find this.
https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/1997

Fremantle got 21 + Chris Bond
Richmond got 2

I think we are both right. In isolation that is what Freo-Richmond traded - but Richmond started with 5 which ended up with Brisbane in exchange for Adrian Fletcher. So it was more like Chris Bond for a 3 pick upgrade from 2 to 5. It was a very complex trade with quite a few clubs involved.

We did get 2 captains out of it (which given our lack of leadership at the time was important) - so it was not as disasterous as some early Freo trades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trades that left you speechless

Remove this Banner Ad

Back