Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but they actually draft key backs with early picks.

The only key back they drafted with an early pick walked away from the game after a few seasons.

Not monstered physically.

More so taken to the cleaners by the quality forwards because he’s state league standard.

Lets be fair about it, he has been in the AFL system before, delisted at 21 because he couldn't crack a game ahead of Rampe, Aliir, Grundy and T.McCartin.

I've never seen him play live but he reads the drop of the ball better than SANFL players, that is easy to see. Scott D Thompson and Tom Stewart managed to cope with the leap into the AFL because they read the play as well as anyone else.

Lets be fair about it, he has been in the AFL system before, delisted at 21 because he couldn't crack a game ahead of Rampe, Aliir, Grundy and T.McCartin.

I've never seen him play live but he reads the drop of the ball better than SANFL players, that is easy to see. Scott D Thompson and Tom Stewart managed to cope with the leap into the AFL because they read the play as well as anyone else.
I’m skeptical that a 194cm, 25 yo previously delisted KPD will be able to play at an elite level in a team that’s been a hot mess for four years.

Popped down to training briefly and caught the end of some match sim. Saw McKercher flying down the wing and nail a kick into space.

Didn't realise how vocal biggie is. He's fit too - watching him do repeat runs with decent speed - giving a ton of encouragement to RHJ.
Jump on board the biggie train for round 1

Many have also liked what they have seen of him in training

He suits the modern game well as that third tall rebounding interceptor

Comben Corr and Biggie our 3 talls for the first third of the year til Logue gets back

I’m skeptical that a 194cm, 25 yo previously delisted KPD will be able to play at an elite level in a team that’s been a hot mess for four years.
We don't need elite, to be fair. We just need decent. Someone who can take the biggest/second biggest forward, not let him go mental, and follow coach's orders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the midfield can win the clearances and improve their defensive side then that will enable the defensive improvement. There were far too many inside 50s last year.
It’s a realistic assessment.

Biggie, Dawson and Pink will get monstered by most quality tall forwards.

Comben has the size, but not necessarily the nous.

Sheezel isn’t a defender, he just plays in the backline. McDonald isn’t there

We’re going to miss Logue badly.

Popped down to training briefly and caught the end of some match sim. Saw McKercher flying down the wing and nail a kick into space.

Didn't realise how vocal biggie is. He's fit too - watching him do repeat runs with decent speed - giving a ton of encouragement to RHJ.

Dang, I pulled out going down today because I thought match sim would be Friday. My loss lol.

How is logue already part of time trials. His recovery has been insane.

Yeah as I mentioned Friday looked pretty good, was running laps and kicking the footy unhampered. Might be just change of direction, jumping etc. that he has to tick off on. Hopefully he’s ahead of schedule, 7th in a time trial when not 100% is a mega run.

Last edited:
North Melbourne midfielder Jy Simpkin has taken out Monday's 2km time trial as a near full squad continued its 2024 pre-season program.

The co-captain impressed during Monday’s session, leading the run from start to finish at La Trobe Sports Park in Bundoora.

After back-to-back shuttle run wins over October and November last year, recruit Dylan Stephens came in second despite putting the pressure on Simpkin late.

Veteran Liam Shiels was the next quickest in third, while midfielder Darcy Tucker and co-captain Luke McDonald rounded out a strong top five.

Key back Griffin Logue was among the top 10, promisingly finishing seventh as he continues his recovery from an ACL injury he suffered in 2023.

Dynamic forward Eddie Ford (ankle) was the only player in the Roos' 43-player squad not to take part.

Time trial top 10​

1. Jy Simpkin
2. Dylan Stephens
3. Liam Shiels
4. Darcy Tucker
5. Luke McDonald
6. Bailey Scott
7. Griffin Logue
8. Harry Sheezel
9. Blake Drury
10. Charlie Lazzaro

The main reason the AFL did this is because of AFL women's football. As a lot of posters on all the clubs boards have pretty much said the same thing, its "bloody ridiculous". Now that we have AFL women's football , their thinking is, you can't have it with the men but not with the girls, so lets do it for both, that way we're not discriminating.

Common sense in todays world has sprinted right away from years gone by, while technology has gotten better, some of our decisions in general life have not. One wonders, if this is the end of it? Its like "what the ...."
confused question mark GIF
Insert drink from a garden hose meme.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

If the midfield can win the clearances and improve their defensive side then that will enable the defensive improvement. There were far too many inside 50s last year.

need to give every opportunity to stop the game and get the midfield in to win the ball back.

predicting lots of spoils, falling on the ball, locking it in, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back