Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

From an external perspective, I'd have that reasoning at a distant third place behind:
1. He's huge, and we're lacking in size down there, and
2. he keeps getting ******* injured up forward.

If you've gathered your own reasoning from someone within the club, then you can safely ignore anything I say on the matter.

If you're still here, I say it because whenever I watch him play, he seems to play one way. 'See ball, get ball,' regardless of whether that's the best strategy, regardless of who or what is in the way. For example, playing that way last year after all his injuries up to that point was at best risky, at worst negligent. I remember my heart shooting up into my mouth at various points in at least three of his seven games, watching him crack in like that. I'd be shocked if the coaches didn't react the same way.

If you're right, I look forward to seeing him carry out that role. Hopefully in his absence we can cash in two of our medium forwards and convert them into one big key forward to support poor Larkey
Yeah I appreciate the perception of Comben being a see ball get ball type and it may well turn out to be the case. That's the instinctive reflex thing. The alternative viewpoint on his football intelligence comes from him explaining complex zones and leading patterns to supporters. He clearly understands intellectually what the line coaches are asking of him and why. It's just whether his brain and body are in sync to carry out those instructions. I don't think we have seen enough of him at AFL level to know for sure.

Wow, to have nearly a full squad running is amazing. Great effort by Luke, Griff (will he play in the first month?), Shiels (will he play next year too?) and Drury. The others I expected top 10.Disappointing my man LDU not there.
Before worrying too much about time trial results, I'd want to know whether this occurred before the main session, during, or after. Secondly, it would be relevant to know whether all players were under instruction to smash out their best time or if any were being held back for training loads.

I’m actually blown away that Simpkin beat Stephens. Stephens is a bit of a freakshow when it comes to the 2-3km time trials.

Impressive that McDonald could be top 5 in what is essentially his first full training session back after his hamstring surgery.

Logue equally impressive.

I’m actually blown away that Simpkin beat Stephens. Stephens is a bit of a freakshow when it comes to the 2-3km time trials.

Jy is a competitive ****er and takes his leadership very seriously, he will be of the view that a captain who plays midfield should be setting the example.

As we count down to the start of pre-season games next month, I’ve put together some thoughts on realistic goals and what I hope to see for some areas of improvement for each individual on the list.

1. Hugh Greenwood - No real expectation for improvement. Don’t see him as pushing for best 22 but if he is called up, the hope is that he provides decent back up for contested play and ruck relief as required.

2. Jaidyn Stephenson - Place in the side under pressure. If he does get a gig, I’d like to see him/us play to his strengths rather than focus on defensive side to his game. Average of 2 goals a game or disposal average in high teens.

3. Harry Sheezel - Even matching his output from last year would be a huge success. Would like to see him given more opportunity for hitting the scoreboard though this year

4. Aidan Corr - Goal would be for him to stay at end of season form for last year. One of our most important players next season.

5. Curtis Taylor - no real expectations sadly and no further comment

6. George Wardlaw - Average 15-20 possessions and 5 tackles would be a good result. But really it’s all about staying healthy and playing games.

7. Zane Duursma - 5 - 10 games and a rising star nomination

8. Bailey Scott - Averaging 25 possessions and neater entry into the 50.

9. Luke Davies-Uniake - Averaging 25-30 possessions. As with other players would love to see him have greater scoreboard impact. If so, expecting an all Australian year from LDU.

10. Colby McKercher - 10-15 games and rising star nomination.

11. Luke McDonald - no real expectation for improvement but would like to see him play within himself more - less attempts at breaking through tackles and going for those all or nothing kicks.

12. Jy Simpkin - Average 25 possessions and a few more goals this year.

13. Darcy Tucker Pushing for best 22. If he gets a gig, would like to see him accumulate better. He has all the attributes to.

14. Liam Shiels - Don’t think he has a place in the 22, his value will be in coaching on field the youth in the vfl.

15. Dylan Stephens - Averaging 20 touches and showing some outside offensive class to compliment Baileys more defensive role.

16. Zac Fisher - Average 20-25 touches and show some dash and class coming out of the back half.

17. Riley Hardeman - A debut game would be the goal. Development year in the VFL

18. Wil Dawson - Development year in the VFL. Debut would be unlikely.

19. Griffin Logue - Full recovery from ACL will be the big win.

20. Nick Larkey - Matching or coming close to goal output from last year would be huge. To take Nicks game to the next level I’d love to see him take more marks around the ground especially the relieving mark from D50 kick outs.

21. CCJ - no real expectations. If he does get games, I just want him to not get out marked in the forward 50s - need to at least halve the contest. Average 1.5 goals a game would be a win.

22. Taylor Goad - Development year in VFL. Don’t think a debut is on the cards.

24. Tom Powell - would love that he start showing signs of productivity he was known for as a junior. Average of 20 possessions a game. Also needs to develop tackling side to his game.

25. Paul Curtis - A goal a game would be a good target but more than that given we don't have a designated small forward must continue to develop tackling and pressure game. Would like to see him average 4 tackles a game.

26. Tarryn Thomas - 20 touches and 1 goal across the season

27. Miller Bergman - Improve ability to halve contests. Would like to see him distribute the ball more as well given his composure is a stand out trait.

28. Bigoa Nyoun - Development year in VFL appears likely. 5 games would be a reasonable target for him.

29. Will Phillips - Average 20-23 possessions a game. Consistency in disposal could also be a good area for improvement.

30. Charlie Comben - staying healthy is priority 1 - I see this as a bit of a development year for him given he is being asked to learn a new role.

31. Josh Goater - Averaging 15 touches and noticeable lift in skills with ball in hand would be a great result.

32. Toby Pink - 10 games as defensive cover.

33. Brayden George - Mostly a development year in the VFL, still don’t know whether he will play in attack or forward.

34. Jackson Archer - If he gets games, will need to lift productivity. Playing 5 games in AFL and signs of improvement when playing VFL would be a reasonable goal.

35. Charlie Lazzaro - would likely need to go a bit ballistic in VFL to push for AFL games this year.

37. Cooper Harvey - Aim would be to play 5 AFL games and show signs that he can translate vfl form to AFL

38. Tristan Xerri - Main area of improvement is ability to develop his aerial game. Playing as number 1 ruck each game should see improvement throughout the year.

39. Finbar Maley - Devekooment year in VFL with a chance of an unlikely debut.

40. Eddie Ford - Average of 15 possessions and a goal a game.

41. Blake Drury - Unlikely to see much AFL action. Showing improvement in VFL is probably best case scenario.

42. Kallan Dawson - if there is ever a time to cement a place in the defensive back 6 in an AFL side it is now for Kallan. 15 AFL games would be a great result for him individually. Would like to see him show signs of intercept marking ability.

44. Cam Zurhaar - For the balance of the side I’d like to see him spend more time in the attacking 50. Averaging 2 goals a game would be ideal.

45. Hamish Free - no major expectations. Back up only.

46. Robert Hansen Jnr - 5 games would be a good result in addition to developing forward craft in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been said before but 2km gets you about 12-15 minutes into the first quarter. Sure the times can be indicative of endurance over 12-16km but not always.

Can understand why the club doesn't want to use a whole session - but a match sim time trial would look something like 8 x 2km or even just a straight 16km. Then we'd really find out who really has endurance and who struggles.

Before worrying too much about time trial results, I'd want to know whether this occurred before the main session, during, or after. Secondly, it would be relevant to know whether all players were under instruction to smash out their best time or if any were being held back for training loads.
Would have been done before the main training session.

Not sure if Logue and Lmac being in the top 10 means they're good or the rest of the squad still lack elite endurance. It's probably somewhere inbetween.
Regardless of how you slice it, Logue being in the top 10 is massive.

will we see him in the first month of footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back