Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Logue pulling that after an ACL.
It's one of those injuries where you do bugger all up until the fat man comes with loadsa pressies, then you hit the deck running - After Christmas Lads :)

I take your point, but Butts had played a couple solid seasons before last year, Brodie Smith is an AA veteran, and Doedee was dependable until he did an ACL and flew the coop.

We have the talent but Corr and Sheezel aside, we won't have that level of proven reliability available to us at the start of 2024.

That backline we have on paper is going to leak the most goals next year.

We need to get numbers at more contests and not allow our key defenders be one out.
You see other teams do it against us with one defender blocking our forward while his teammate takes an uncontested mark.

Hopefully clarko has plans in place

looking at the insta story vid you can see LDU just behind Sheezel, Drury and laz so 11th then archer, Bergman, corr, mckercher, xerri and biggie next so all finishing top 20

Also nice to see the social media team post vids and pics live and the day of training again

Hopefully get some interviews/vid tonight or tomorrow

Still would like to see the new coaches interviewed

Last edited:
Disappointing that the few match winners we have aren’t in the Top 10.
I guess "TennisPlayerAndy" there is another way to look at it, maybe the other guys went to another level {fitness wise} and if that's the case, how good is that! Now I know everyone has different views in this years pre-season, but just for a moment think about this, our fitness last year, all the distractions we had, some boys playing the way they did, the new game plan and most importantly the last few games of the year, with all of that to consider and to deal with.

We have only one direction to go, and that is up, before we've even played a practice match our boys have not only improved their times on the track, they've smashed it to smithereens. That is only the start of it, other things will improve as we go along and I keep saying this but its not going to take as long as some people think to climb up the ladder.

If people have watched how on earth we could play the way we did last year with all of that, then throw in all the positives that I'm seeing now to this point, it is quite mine -boggling to say the least. The "shock" factor is at some stage going to hit home this year with some of our supporters and when it does its going to be something we haven't seen in a long time.;)

Liam Shiels, such a solid citizen, mucho respecto, very astute recruiting

Love to hear it
Might actually run games out this year
View attachment 1886893
That’s what I want to see, acknowledging the problem and doing something about it. Don’t care about the top 10 as much as seeing improvement over the whole list.

I read over 90% of crows players recorded pb’s in a 1k time trial before Xmas. I want to see stories like that coming from North.

We are the least fit team in the comp, do something about it.

That’s what I want to see, acknowledging the problem and doing something about it. Don’t care about the top 10 as much as seeing improvement over the whole list.

I read over 90% of crows players recorded pb’s in a 1k time trial before Xmas. I want to see stories like that coming from North.

We are the least fit team in the comp, do something about it.
Well yeah I suppose that's one way of taking a good news story and shitting all over it.

Curtis "Cardio" Taylor a conspicuous no show in the top ten. Bemused to see guys fresh out the rehab room straight into the top ten too. It looks like some took their break at Christmas break more seriously than others.
Careful, don’t say anything negative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t deny it - we are completely untried and undersized.

But a rotation of Sheezel, Goater, McKercher and Fisher should be fun to watch if they can find some chemistry,

I think a rotation of Corr, Dawson, Chom and pink can go ok. Yes we will struggle with the big talls but we are a good chance to be better than last year.

Logue hopeful back after the buy after mid year if we are lucky.

Should be an interesting 3 months

At least we are into a new generation and it could be better than we think!
Our two early wins came off the back of everyone on BF blowing a gasket over Clarkson playing a smaller, more mobile defensive system. That is what he will go for. Run, gun and team defence across the ground.

Last edited:
As we count down to the start of pre-season games next month, I’ve put together some thoughts on realistic goals and what I hope to see for some areas of improvement for each individual on the list.

1. Hugh Greenwood - No real expectation for improvement. Don’t see him as pushing for best 22 but if he is called up, the hope is that he provides decent back up for contested play and ruck relief as required.

2. Jaidyn Stephenson - Place in the side under pressure. If he does get a gig, I’d like to see him/us play to his strengths rather than focus on defensive side to his game. Average of 2 goals a game or disposal average in high teens.

3. Harry Sheezel - Even matching his output from last year would be a huge success. Would like to see him given more opportunity for hitting the scoreboard though this year

4. Aidan Corr - Goal would be for him to stay at end of season form for last year. One of our most important players next season.

5. Curtis Taylor - no real expectations sadly and no further comment

6. George Wardlaw - Average 15-20 possessions and 5 tackles would be a good result. But really it’s all about staying healthy and playing games.

7. Zane Duursma - 5 - 10 games and a rising star nomination

8. Bailey Scott - Averaging 25 possessions and neater entry into the 50.

9. Luke Davies-Uniake - Averaging 25-30 possessions. As with other players would love to see him have greater scoreboard impact. If so, expecting an all Australian year from LDU.

10. Colby McKercher - 10-15 games and rising star nomination.

11. Luke McDonald - no real expectation for improvement but would like to see him play within himself more - less attempts at breaking through tackles and going for those all or nothing kicks.

12. Jy Simpkin - Average 25 possessions and a few more goals this year.

13. Darcy Tucker Pushing for best 22. If he gets a gig, would like to see him accumulate better. He has all the attributes to.

14. Liam Shiels - Don’t think he has a place in the 22, his value will be in coaching on field the youth in the vfl.

15. Dylan Stephens - Averaging 20 touches and showing some outside offensive class to compliment Baileys more defensive role.

16. Zac Fisher - Average 20-25 touches and show some dash and class coming out of the back half.

17. Riley Hardeman - A debut game would be the goal. Development year in the VFL

18. Wil Dawson - Development year in the VFL. Debut would be unlikely.

19. Griffin Logue - Full recovery from ACL will be the big win.

20. Nick Larkey - Matching or coming close to goal output from last year would be huge. To take Nicks game to the next level I’d love to see him take more marks around the ground especially the relieving mark from D50 kick outs.

21. CCJ - no real expectations. If he does get games, I just want him to not get out marked in the forward 50s - need to at least halve the contest. Average 1.5 goals a game would be a win.

22. Taylor Goad - Development year in VFL. Don’t think a debut is on the cards.

24. Tom Powell - would love that he start showing signs of productivity he was known for as a junior. Average of 20 possessions a game. Also needs to develop tackling side to his game.

25. Paul Curtis - A goal a game would be a good target but more than that given we don't have a designated small forward must continue to develop tackling and pressure game. Would like to see him average 4 tackles a game.

26. Tarryn Thomas - 20 touches and 1 goal across the season

27. Miller Bergman - Improve ability to halve contests. Would like to see him distribute the ball more as well given his composure is a stand out trait.

28. Bigoa Nyoun - Development year in VFL appears likely. 5 games would be a reasonable target for him.

29. Will Phillips - Average 20-23 possessions a game. Consistency in disposal could also be a good area for improvement.

30. Charlie Comben - staying healthy is priority 1 - I see this as a bit of a development year for him given he is being asked to learn a new role.

31. Josh Goater - Averaging 15 touches and noticeable lift in skills with ball in hand would be a great result.

32. Toby Pink - 10 games as defensive cover.

33. Brayden George - Mostly a development year in the VFL, still don’t know whether he will play in attack or forward.

34. Jackson Archer - If he gets games, will need to lift productivity. Playing 5 games in AFL and signs of improvement when playing VFL would be a reasonable goal.

35. Charlie Lazzaro - would likely need to go a bit ballistic in VFL to push for AFL games this year.

37. Cooper Harvey - Aim would be to play 5 AFL games and show signs that he can translate vfl form to AFL

38. Tristan Xerri - Main area of improvement is ability to develop his aerial game. Playing as number 1 ruck each game should see improvement throughout the year.

39. Finbar Maley - Devekooment year in VFL with a chance of an unlikely debut.

40. Eddie Ford - Average of 15 possessions and a goal a game.

41. Blake Drury - Unlikely to see much AFL action. Showing improvement in VFL is probably best case scenario.

42. Kallan Dawson - if there is ever a time to cement a place in the defensive back 6 in an AFL side it is now for Kallan. 15 AFL games would be a great result for him individually. Would like to see him show signs of intercept marking ability.

44. Cam Zurhaar - For the balance of the side I’d like to see him spend more time in the attacking 50. Averaging 2 goals a game would be ideal.

45. Hamish Free - no major expectations. Back up only.

46. Robert Hansen Jnr - 5 games would be a good result in addition to developing forward craft in the VFL.
I love the optimism here. We should be expecting big things from our young talent.

However expectations of 1.5-2 goals a game means that we would have Larkey kicking 60+ as well as 3-4 others kicking 30-35-40-45 goals.

For some perspective, probably one of our best offensive years 1997-?-1999, we had:

Carey kicking 80
Grant kicking 44
Winnie kicking 40
Harvey kicking 32

It would be a win for our current crop to consolidate on some offensive signs and build from some ok performances. If 2023 can see the following, it would be huge:

Larkey 65+ (A+)
Zurhaar 35+ (A)
Stephenson (playing more sub) 15+(A)
Simpkin 15
Thomas 20-30
LDU 15
Sheezel 15

The above means we have a much greater spread which means for the first time since 2014, we have multiple reliable avenues to goal.

On the 25-30 possies a game comments, yes we want more disposals across the board, but league-wide, there were only 35 blokes getting it 27 times a game (and two from North).

Uncontested numbers should be expected to improve 10-15% across the board, which would mean:

Bailey going from his 22.1 to perhaps 23/24 and rising from 77th most disposals into the top 50-60.

Stephens breaking into the 20 disposals a game.

Jy continuing to blend between inside and outside more and building on his 20.6

(When Ford returns) building up to 18 disposals a game

Sheezel continuing to get it 27 or so times a game but getting it further up the ground so there is more hurt factor.

it's been 6 months since he did it, running after 6 months isn't unusual.

Mark Roberts was back playing 16 weeks after his knee reco!
I mean he was on the field but I wouldn't count it as playing. Dud call by Pagans to play him in that prelim imo.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Presuming he plays the whole season, that's 0.87 disposals and 0.04 goals per game.

Do we

I love the optimism here. We should be expecting big things from our young talent.

However expectations of 1.5-2 goals a game means that we would have Larkey kicking 60+ as well as 3-4 others kicking 30-35-40-45 goals.

For some perspective, probably one of our best offensive years 1997-?-1999, we had:

Carey kicking 80
Grant kicking 44
Winnie kicking 40
Harvey kicking 32

It would be a win for our current crop to consolidate on some offensive signs and build from some ok performances. If 2023 can see the following, it would be huge:

Larkey 65+ (A+)
Zurhaar 35+ (A)
Simpkin 15
Thomas 20-30
LDU 15
Sheezel 15

The above means we have a much greater spread which means for the first time since 2014, we have multiple reliable avenues to goal.

On the 25-30 possies a game comments, yes we want more disposals across the board, but league-wide, there were only 35 blokes getting it 27 times a game (and two from North).

Uncontested numbers should be expected to improve 10-15% across the board, which would mean:

Bailey going from his 22.1 to perhaps 23/24 and rising from 77th most disposals into the top 50-60.

Sheezel continuing to get it 27 or so times a game but getting it further up the ground so there is more hurt factor.

Carey kicking 80
Grant kicking 44
Winnie kicking 40
Harvey kicking 32

Larkey 65+ (A+)
Zurhaar 35+ (A)
Simpkin 15
Thomas 20-30
LDU 15
Sheezel 15

Yes definitely optimistic to expect for all these goals to be met. It they were we’d probably finish in the top 8. Still think at the individual level they are all at least achievable if not at the group level.

Re goals, I did only have Zurhaar as the only 2 goal a game alongside Larkey. We have an unhealthy reliance on Larkey and even with him scoring all those goals we were still one of the lowest scoring teams. Zurhaar I thi k is the best bet to support Larkey especially if he plays predominately in the forward 50. Only other two goal a game I had was Stephenson but i don't expect him to play every game. The point I was making with him is that he needs to offer a lot offensively otherwise I don’t see him contributing effectively to team success.

Re 25-30 possessions, I think I only had Sheezel LDU Simpkin and Scott to average 25 or above. Sheezel and LDU are probables while the other two are capable but less likely. Agree that 10 percent improvement across the board is a worthy aim.

Have the actual times been published? May have missed them.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah without knowing what players' times are now, what they were as draftees and every year in between, it's hard to know how players are tracking. And coming 16th this preseason might've been 8th best last year - obviously depends on how much the group has improved or gone backwards.

Plus 2km time trials are definitely not the best indicator of endurance.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back