Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

When it's all said and done who honestly thinks that he would be given a game in any other team in the comp? Apart from the other absolute basket case which is West Coast. Have a proper think about it before you completely disregard that comment.
He is such a limited footballer. So one dimensional it's not funny. Being a lockdown defender (and only an average one at that) who provides nothing else is a liability these days. We have given this bloke an absolute ride of a career. He exemplifies how completely out of sorts the club has been for the last decade.

I agree that he hasn’t been great.

But it’s difficult to argue with stats that show he commits less turnovers and has a higher disposal efficiency than our best players
Stats are one part of the picture and in isolation mean nothing. What sort of disposal is it? if your the person taking the safe kick all the time that should be 100% effective and yet you are still commiting turn overs then that's a problem. How often do your disposals lead to a scoring opportunity?

Fox sports commented that his champion data player rating, which takes that into account dropped 24% last year. He is 28 years old, in his prime and he got worse when we needed him to step up and lead.

I'm not going to hang him just yet, but by no means is his spot safe, especially if the young players are performing well in the VFL

Luke has been carrying the captaincy in a poor team, is limited in terms of talent and has tried to overcome both of these things the wrong way.

Once he realises a) that he can't fix stuff with his footy and b) that he is a moderately talented but spiritually important bruiser, he will be both a better captain and more impactful footballer.
Lmac‘s biggest problem is we don’t have many candidates to captain the club and most of his team mates are too new to be whipping boys.

Luke has been carrying the captaincy in a poor team, is limited in terms of talent and has tried to overcome both of these things the wrong way.

Once he realises a) that he can't fix stuff with his footy and b) that he is a moderately talented but spiritually important bruiser, he will be both a better captain and more impactful footballer.
Spiritually important bruiser? WTF does that mean?

If Corr or McKay had shown the desperation Lukey does our backline would have been much better than it has been.

I think he’s played out of position and tried to take on too much which had led to some poor decisions and skill errors. His best season was where he played the defensive midfield role.

You can’t doubt his commitment and with better players around him I expect he will improve. I reckon Ziebell shanked more than his fair share of kicks out of the backline too, but we need to keep some experienced heads.

If Corr or McKay had shown the desperation Lukey does our backline would have been much better than it has been.

I think he’s played out of position and tried to take on too much which had led to some poor decisions and skill errors. His best season was where he played the defensive midfield role.

You can’t doubt his commitment and with better players around him I expect he will improve. I reckon Ziebell shanked more than his fair share of kicks out of the backline too, but we need to keep some experienced heads.

JZs last 10 minutes cost us a win against * last year

Some perspective

Turnovers per game 2023 & disp %

Luke McDonald 3.6 78.6%

Harry sheezel 5.2 77.8%

Bailey Scott 4.6 68.3%

Jy Simpkin 4.4 71%

LDU 4.4 76.3%
All this does is point out that statistics are a very poor way to assess a player in this game. The gulf between these players last year was wider than Springfield Gorge.

Lmac‘s biggest problem is we don’t have many candidates to captain the club and most of his team mates are too new to be whipping boys.

I'd suggest that Clarko has a fair handle on what leadership really is within a football club and what our current list and club needs right now. Luke McDonald is co-captain because Clarko says so. I do find it amusing that there are so many experts who think they know better.

I'd suggest that Clarko has a fair handle on what leadership really is within a football club and what our current list and club needs right now. Luke McDonald is co-captain because Clarko says so. I do find it amusing that there are so many experts who think they know better.

It’s embarrassing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is some truth to this, no doubt.

But plenty here put Clarko on a pedestal. He isn't infallible. He was sacked from his last gig, some seem to forget.

There is some truth to this, no doubt.

But plenty here put Clarko on a pedestal. He isn't infallible. He was sacked from his last gig, some seem to forget.
It seems pretty nuts to suggest about a four time premiership coach but Clarko needs to prove himself again. 2015 was a long time ago in terms of how the game has changed and he made a lot of mistakes rebuilding the Hawks in terms of top-ups and gameplan.

I agree with the above that he's essentially in year one now and I've got the feeling that standards have improved but whether or not we play finals with Clarko is very far from determined.

I remember when a well known coach told me it’s a much easier job when you’ve got the talent. It’s basically impossible when you don’t.
Now we get to see how good Clarko is....
Backline :is young but the talent is there,
Midfield:..just WOW!,
Forwards: are coming together . l would like another tall who knows how to play CHF to help Larkey,
Rucks : If Xerri can step up and hold his own for a few seasons then we are looking really good for the future..

Depths : keeps getting better all the time...

Now we get to see how good Clarko is....
Backline :is young but the talent is there,
Midfield:..just WOW!,
Forwards: are coming together . l would like another tall who knows how to play CHF to help Larkey,
Rucks : If Xerri can step up and hold his own for a few seasons then we are looking really good for the future..

Depths : keeps getting better all the time...
I’m of the opinion we should’ve gotten assistance when Nobel was coming in after Shaw, that’s when we needed the injection of youth. we’d pretty much cycled through the list by then, adding Goad, Dawson and Hardeman was pretty much icing to a well rounded list.

I’m with you, our forward line, still needs a another key position or a couple of smalls just to change up the mix of going forward, we seem way to Larkey or bust.

Going to sound silly but winning is a habitual, we just need to start winning games and things will start to click.

It seems pretty nuts to suggest about a four time premiership coach but Clarko needs to prove himself again. 2015 was a long time ago in terms of how the game has changed and he made a lot of mistakes rebuilding the Hawks in terms of top-ups and gameplan.

I agree with the above that he's essentially in year one now and I've got the feeling that standards have improved but whether or not we play finals with Clarko is very far from determined.
I'm confident, very confident he can get us to finals. After that who knows but he has fire in the belly still IMO.

I’m of the opinion we should’ve gotten assistance when Nobel was coming in after Shaw, that’s when we needed the injection of youth. we’d pretty much cycled through the list by then, adding Goad, Dawson and Hardeman was pretty much icing to a well rounded list.

I’m with you, our forward line, still needs a another key position or a couple of smalls just to change up the mix of going forward, we seem way to Larkey or bust.
Agree. We have time though, even if start pushing up filling gaps is something we can achieve around what we have. We might not have 5 picks in the first 30 but we can still fill gaps with mid first round picks for a couple more years.

Lmac practically gave up last season - gathered ball and didn’t want to dispose of it , was just waiting to get tackled.
It was embarrassing for a leader of any organisation- limp dick
how much of that is LMac and how much is clarko's 'hold the ball so midfield can come in' game plan. gut feel we're going to see a lot more of it this year :rolleyes:

Last edited:
i mean... we all literally watched the vote... on tv... where the players picked their captain... and not clarko

Last edited:
Great news that we've been confirmed to be picking up Sellers
Beside myself happy. Two of my students came in to see what I was clapping about!

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back