Training Training Reports - Current report, Monday 13th February, Post #1427

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Headed down for the first session of 2017, sun shining light breeze, perfect day for training.

Unfortunately the temp fencing is still up which made it that bit harder to pick up what was going on, but I'll tell you what I saw.

I want to talk about Jaeger first because that's who you are all waiting to hear about. All I can say is that I can see zero reason why he won't be playing from very early on in the season. He is doing everything the others were dong in terms of match type drills (6 on 6) and only went to jogging and walking laps with Tom Mitchell and Poppy after all of the ball work was done and dusted. He doesn't look like he is holding back at all and definitely showed brief flashes of class during the drills including a lovely one handed pick up at full steam and 30m pin point delivery to a team mate without breaking stride.

Whitecross looks very sharp, stood out in the various drills with his ball work and tackling and looks a certainty to be best 22 to me.

Frawley also stood out, was in everything, was burning opponents off with his pace and his kicking has gone a from a weakness to a positive.

Roughy - what a pleasure to see the big fella out there in full training and looking sharp. Can't see why he won't play round 1 to be honest.

Ty Vickery was interesting, he looked a bit lost during the drills, hanging on the outside of the pack a lot of the time, then he suddenly found himself in the middle of it all with the ball in his hands, got a ripper handball out to a team mate, received it back and put it through the goal. I think that once he learns the hawthorn game plan, running patterns etc we will have a more than handy player. He may also benefit from an exorcism to speed up the de-tigering process.

Other observations:

Tom Mitchell is taller than I thought he would be.

I reckon Dan Howe has grown, seemed noticeably taller than last year.

Pittonet is looking huge.

Hodge looks very trim and very fit.

Don't have anything to say about the new draftees as I wasn't able to really zero in on them today, but will definitely try to get a better look in the coming weeks.

Till next time.

giphy.gif

Yes! The Axeman cometh!

I was going to take a pic of the Jaeger Bomb as he ran passed, but unfortunately my iPhone doesn't have a wide enough lens to capture all of his guns in full glory.

Of the rookies, Cousins and the two Conor's went the distance. I saw some of the other rookies leave the track with maybe 30 minutes to go.

The rookies won't be there on Monday.

Also, Silk missing a target in an early drill !? Gee you don't see that too often. I'm off to buy a lotto ticket right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of the rookies, Cousins and the two Conor's went the distance. I saw some of the other rookies leave the track with maybe 30 minutes to go.

The rookies won't be there on Monday.

Also, Silk missing a target in an early drill !? Gee you don't see that too often. I'm off to buy a lotto ticket right now.

Thought a few of the veterans were a bit rusty early on, Rioli missed a target by a mile, Schoe shanked one, but first day back and all.

Harry Morrison didn't look out of place in contested marking drills against Shiels and Duryea.

I got down this morning as well and very much concur with what Axeman said.

Jaegar looked fantastic on the track. His skills were sublime apart from missing a goal on the run from about 15 out early in the session.

Connor Glass really stood out to me and the 2 other guys i was with and wasn't just cos of his ginger locks. He has a lot going for him including great hands, good aggression and very good skills. We really have something with him.

Duryea looked very sharp including a bullet 50 metre pass onto the tit of a leading player whilst he was under pressure.

Vickery looked like he was just doing enough to get through but it was the 1st session of the year so I will forgive him this time.

Frawley was the complete opposite to Vickery and looked in ripping shape and was in everything.

Lovell is a little beast and I'm expecting a big year from him.

There were 2 boys out on the track who are not listed with us but I suspect are possible future Cat B rookies.

The 1st was a small Sudanese/Ethiopian boy who was very very impressive. Hit all the targets by foot that I saw and looked very very lively. I could be wrong but I think this is the same kid that played in the curtain raiser on Grand Final day at the MCG. Looks very promising.

The other guy was a tall skinny long blond haired kid who to be perfectly honest looked well out of his depth but was giving it a crack.

He was rucking in the middle of the ground in one drill but I have absolutely no idea what his name is.

ok, enough about the lowly players.

HOW DID ERNIE GO?

It was really hard to identify players given hats and zinc etc and it didn't help that half the group was training on the far side and i suspect this is where Burton and O'Rourke were cos i didn't notice either of them until the players came off the ground.

FWIW O'Rourke looks bloody fit. Hopefully can get a glimpse of Burton next time.

Any word on JOR?

(Thanks btw)
hard to tell from today (dang, they all look the same to me in singlets and caps), but I've heard elsewhere that he was best performed at Mooloolaba, with a couple of oldies really spurring him on.

Like you, I'm really keen to see him make the Great Leap Forward. AWAKEN, JOR!!!

Any word on JOR?

(Thanks btw)

Saw a bit of JOR in one drill, was getting a lot of the ball and was very evasive, making good decisions. Overall it was positive. He is deceptively quick and seemed to have good sense of who was around him.

Wouldn't be surprised if JOR improves now that his good mate Jaeger is there with him.

Cheers for all the training reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training Reports - Current report, Monday 13th February, Post #1427

Remove this Banner Ad

Back