Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you so much for the reports.. I actually look forward to reading them each post. I live quite far from the training track and work priorities doesn't give me the flexibility to attend one here or there.

So I do however have one suggestion if it's possible.

With today's new mobile handsets the video quality is high. If you're attending training and do have one of these handsets, could you take a few vids and up load. I have a HTC and the quality is very good. very watch-able when transferred onto a pc.

Again i appreciate your reports guys..

Thank you so much for the training reports of late guys. Highly appreciative :)

I wont have any time on my hands to get down to training so my only source of reports and updates comes from you guys.
Keep up the great work and keep those pics and vids coming. :thumbsu:

Just quickly though a couple of questions.

• How does Skinner look out on the football field any chance of him getting a game ?
  • How far away are Cooney and Lake from returning to full training ?
  • Which players have really taking a step on their game from previous years and which players look to be falling behind.

P.S I bumped into lake last Sunday and he looked really out of sort physically. I don't know if it was just me but the way he was walking looked abit off balanced and wonky, Looked noticebly skinnier (Not athletic skinny mind you). I don't know how far away he is from returning to his 2009/2010 best but I personnly think its a couple of months away.

Just quickly though a couple of questions.

• How does Skinner look out on the football field any chance of him getting a game ?
  • How far away are Cooney and Lake from returning to full training ?
  • Which players have really taking a step on their game from previous years and which players look to be falling behind.

Skinner certainly stands out at training, it helps that he's easy to recognise. Still quite a long way off it fitness wise, at the moment he'd be classified as someone who can be effective with the ball but can't get to where the ball is that often.

Cooney is running, getting a base fitness in, probably then needs to do more sprint work and after that he'll be fully training with the main group. I'd expect him to be fully training early Feb. He possibly could do so now but getting the kms into the legs is more important.

Lake is quite a way behind Cooney. Can walk around fine, haven't seen him running yet. Will probably be 'ready' by Round One but won't have the base other players do. The question would then be, do we leave him out and get that base into him or play him because he's too important to leave out?

Last one is hard to answer as so many of them look similar out there and unless you're focusing on watching a player, you usually only see about 10% of what a player does. Will get a much better idea when there are longer match practices at training and intraclub and NAB Cup matches.

In terms of running, I'd have to say Howard, Tutt, Wallis and Djerrkura but then the first two didn't have a preseason at all last year so it's hard to make the comparison and the last two are new at the club.

[/list]

Skinner certainly stands out at training, it helps that he's easy to recognise. Still quite a long way off it fitness wise, at the moment he'd be classified as someone who can be effective with the ball but can't get to where the ball is that often.

Cooney is running, getting a base fitness in, probably then needs to do more sprint work and after that he'll be fully training with the main group. I'd expect him to be fully training early Feb. He possibly could do so now but getting the kms into the legs is more important.

Lake is quite a way behind Cooney. Can walk around fine, haven't seen him running yet. Will probably be 'ready' by Round One but won't have the base other players do. The question would then be, do we leave him out and get that base into him or play him because he's too important to leave out?

Last one is hard to answer as so many of them look similar out there and unless you're focusing on watching a player, you usually only see about 10% of what a player does. Will get a much better idea when there are longer match practices at training and intraclub and NAB Cup matches.

In terms of running, I'd have to say Howard, Tutt, Wallis and Djerrkura but then the first two didn't have a preseason at all last year so it's hard to make the comparison and the last two are new at the club.

This is were I reckon the coaching staff need to sit down and give a untried youngster or a fringe player a crack at Full back or another key defender role in the absence of Lake just to prepare for life after Lake. In doing so Lake gets a better fitness base into himself and doesn't need to play at 70% fit. Some might argue a 70% fit lake is better than a 100% fit (who ever) but like I said it gives a up and comer a chance.

Lets not forget what happened to us last season with Johnson. He was unfit for most of the year yet we played him when we should have not in my opinion at times.

This is were I reckon the coaching staff need to sit down and give a untried youngster or a fringe player a crack at Full back or another key defender role in the absence of Lake just to prepare for life after Lake. In doing so Lake gets a better fitness base into himself and doesn't need to play at 70% fit. Some might argue a 70% fit lake is better than a 100% fit (who ever) but like I said it gives a up and comer a chance.

Which is what we have the pre-season games for, but realistically we only have Mulligan who after 3 years at the club is still playing Willi reserves and Markovic who has pace issues as viable options unless we move someone like Jones down back.

Which is what we have the pre-season games for, but realistically we only have Mulligan who after 3 years at the club is still playing Willi reserves and Markovic who has pace issues as viable options unless we move someone like Jones down back.

yes this is the problem. We have only one Lake, if we had two Lakes then maybe the floods would be less severe (sorry attempted humor).

But we can't replace Lake like for like. It seems likely that Lake will not be about for any or much of the practice matches so we'll have to play Markovic and Mulligan and possibly Barlow and or Jones as the 3rd tall defender. So we'll get to see how they go and what might work.

But, they should not rush Lake back. We don't want another Johnson issue, it's not good for the player or the team. I'd rather he miss the opening month of the season if that's what required to get him fully fit....not 70% fit!

Is Vespremi standing out in any way - we paid quite a bit for him.

All reports are he is........."flying" :)
What exactly did we pay for him? Surely you dont mean Everitt who couldn't get a game for nearly 2 seasons. How long did we all wait for him to step up to the plate?

Went for a bit on Saturday morning. Just some quick thoughts:

- Wallis is a beauty. Constantly involved and I'll be enormously surprised if he doesn't play round 1.
- Skinner looked good. Seems to be a 'one-grab' player, but I'd be surprised if he plays this year. Seemed a little unsure when had possession.
- Minson looked good. Hopefully his issues are behind him.
- Cordy looked much bigger than the last time I saw him. Didn't notice him too much in general play, though.
- I did notice that Stack was being played in the midfield and was involved in the midfield drills. Not a bad move, but it was difficult to tell whether he's got the tank for it this year.

[/list]

With Essendon, GC and Brisbane in the first 3 rounds there is no need to rush him back. Round 4 should be pencilled in as his start date and any earlier is a bonus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So your happy for Williams to play on Brown?

I would be with their midfiled losing Rischitelli, Sherman and Brennan. Even without that I thought Williams showed a heap of improvement towards the last half of the season. He had to play on some big players in the finals (even before the finals) and I thought he handled himself pretty well except for Goodes.

I agree with Chef, I'm happy for Lake to start then.

Didnt Williams play oe of his best games ever against Brisbane? The game where he played it out with a broken hand. Im pretty sure he played on Brown that night. But then again im pretty sure Brown kicked a few goals.
Nonetheless, I would be happy for Williams to play on him.

Didnt Williams play oe of his best games ever against Brisbane? The game where he played it out with a broken hand. Im pretty sure he played on Brown that night. But then again im pretty sure Brown kicked a few goals.
Nonetheless, I would be happy for Williams to play on him.
I'd back Williams as a first option given the constrained supply a midfield dominance should hold.
Brisbane may be tempted to push a resting Clarke/Burger forward though so Morris may have to go to Brown earlier than expected. Brown isn't super quick so if Markovic shows something during the NAB Cup he may snag a few games early.

- I did notice that Stack was being played in the midfield and was involved in the midfield drills. Not a bad move, but it was difficult to tell whether he's got the tank for it this year.

This is good news. Stack loooks to have the goods when he is played up the ground. If he spent 1/4 of his time playing in the middle, switching forward with Gia, Higgins (i've conceded that he will play some time in the middle) and Sherman then our midfield depth would be devastating. All are capable half-forwards who don't look out of place in the middle.

Mod, what are the chances of Training Reports remaining near the top of the front page so they are easier to find?

Please.

Manners don't cost a thing, boys ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back