Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Building up the guns through beach weights really has very little bearing on whether a player has improved their physical conditioning for an upcoming season. And that includes whether they've improved their power.

The most important aspects for a player to improve by far is the amount of pressure they can put into the ground in all directions, the speed in which they can do it and their endurance in doing it. This means improving internal and external hip rotation, hip flexion and extension, all which requires highly functional abductors, glutes, hammies and core muscles. Then comes chest and back muscle strength - e.g. as measured through bench press and way, way down the list is bicep and forearm strength. It irritates me and others like nothing else when people think that players who've been doing a ton of bicep curls are going to become better. Look at Colin Sylvia or Kelvin Templeton way back - they could barely run 2 laps around an oval but sure, they had guns.

What Peter Burge (ex long and triple jumper - 6th at 2000 Olympics and Commonwealth gold medalist) has done at Richmond is use his AIS experience to set thresholds that players have to meet - agility, endurance and power testing depending on position. He's a big reason why Richmond has turned a low to mid talented list into a premiership side. He doesn't give a rat's about biceps and guns. They load up on pressure forwards and delist them pretty quickly if they don't continue to meet the thresholds throughout the year. They all have to reach endurance and agility standards and if they can't, they lose weight - muscle mass - until they can or they get delisted. Someone like Dustin Martin has unbelievable natural hip functionality and so can play at 92kg. Obviously if you can't actually play football you also don't last. But those same Richmond players didn't look like they could play football very well just a few years ago.

Brad Scott used to say he didn't really care about time trials or testing. He used to say that players who tested poorly often produced in games. That always sounded like him projecting - that his times etc weren't that good as a player but he could produce on match day. He had the luxury of a team of superstars around him that was also full of good athletes though. As a coach, he continually picked heavy sides and was apparently happy for players to build up into the high 80kgs, early 90kgs. Yet over his whole time, we were inconsistent at best when it came to running out games throughout the long haul of a season and really exposed in big games and literally over months in some seasons.

Anyone who has done any serious running knows how much faster and easier it is to run say at 77kg versus 87kg, even if you have the same fat ratios. And holding position against opponents (power) is about how much pressure you can put into the ground and then back into them. Michael Walters outbodies bigger opponents because of this for example.

Clearly Shaw wants our guys to become better runners and movers given there's going to be much more running this preseason according to Nick Larkey. It'll be interesting to see who becomes leaner. This is going to be a really testing preseason for some and hopefully an ongoing change in direction so we can get through whole seasons running strongly.
Good read at a time where not much insight and content is shared

Thank you

The thing I don’t get is - he’s suppose to be a running machine but sometimes you don’t notice him for nearly half a game.

Hopefully Shaw unleashes the shackles

Also, it’s not for the want of trying on Mason’s part. I reckon he really puts the effort in. It’s just that he seems to get lost and appears to lose his ability to read the play. It must be very frustrating for him - not to mention the rest of us. If Shaw can’t work him out, it will be absolutely pointless to persist.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also, it’s not for the want of trying on Mason’s part. I reckon he really puts the effort in. It’s just that he seems to get lost and appears to lose his ability to read the play. It must be very frustrating for him - not to mention the rest of us. If Shaw can’t work him out, it will be absolutely pointless to persist.

Mason admitted a few days ago he hasn't put in the required effort.

I have a bonar watching that.

Spare a thought for the poor guy that Jed tackled. He was a sitting duck. He never stood a chance. Trying to control a bouncing egg with someone like Jed on your back is the very definition of a no-win situation. Also, Majak should enter the Grand Final sprint. Oh wait...

I din't read it as "effort" as in physical effort on the track so much as organisation and attention to detail.

He is giving 100% when he is playing, but that has not been good enough, because his training and preparation has not been 100%.

Playing your best and training and preparing to be at your best, are related.

Hence, I ask, did he refund part of his hefty salary, as he was not prepared to give 100%, the best he can be ?

That is, until this year, because unless he starts to give 100% (what he should have been giving the last 3 years, not half arsed efforts), he wont be playing AFL.

There was a professional athletics coach in the 80s who hated weights for that reason. His athletes (multiple stawell winners) would do something like 1000 push up and sit ups and at least 30 minutes of actual punching on a speed ball. They were still solid but looked leaner (tho John Dinan was a bit of unit iirc).

mate of mine made several Stawell gift finals (including a second placing), big improvement actually came from building shoulder strength. Legs can only move as fast as the arms!

mate of mine made several Stawell gift finals (including a second placing), big improvement actually came from building shoulder strength. Legs can only move as fast as the arms!
Can confirm this is true - but has it's limitations. Need to build strength without toooo much size or else you limit your natural range of motion through the shoulders. I'm currently working on this at the moment for my own personal sport during an off-season program.

A good combination of gym, track and mechanics work is doing wonders :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpkin- " will Cpt the club one day" - is flying

LDU, Cunners, Anderson, Dumont, LDU- all putting in huge effort to improve fitness

Durdin- training very well, and will be backed in to take marks instead of spoiling

Pittard going to a new level of ability, is really taking on the...well... training. Asked him why he hasn't done this so well in the past, was told not to do it.

Rawlings- "rebuilding the culture is a priority".

Speedball work was good for that. Other boxing training not so much. You drive your arms from your shoulders. Most olympic sprinters have pretty powerful shoulders.

I knew a kid who went on to win Stawell. Very broad across the shoulders but not a huge unit. More like Usain Bolt than Maj. He was tall too. Had a ridiculous growth spurt in high school.

LDU, Cunners, Anderson, Dumont, LDU- all putting in huge effort to improve fitness

Durdin- training very well, and will be backed in to take marks instead of spoiling

Pittard going to a new level of ability, is really taking on the...well... training. Asked him why he hasn't done this so well in the past, was told not to do it.

LDU going so well you have to mention him twice!

Simpkin looking to explode.

Last edited:

****, I am pumped for 2020 and onwards

fu**, I am pumped for 2020 and onwards
Next year is gonna be fun. Could see it being similar to our Bulldogs 2015 when they had Stringer (Zurhaar), Macrae (LDU) and Bontempelli (Thomas) striking out and making names for themselves. If Rhyce and the team can get the boys around each other like Beveridge managed to do I think 2021 is where things could get really good.

I don't doubt that helped your mate or any sprinter at all - but the first thing is that he's training to run 120 metres flat out three times in half a day at most. AFL footballers are running/moving from 12-16km in variety of ways in, say, 2.5 hours.

Also, he's running in a straight line with momentum - where the mass is going in one direction - maybe with a curve if he did 200s or 400s. Obviously AFL players have to stop, turn and hold position in all directions, alot of the time. Add that to the weekly endurance aspect and players' legs and core are under a lot more stress when they play 5 to 10kg heavier. That's not the case when you're sprinting 120 metres in a straight line.

I don't doubt that helped your mate or any sprinter at all - but the first thing is that he's training to run 120 metres flat out three times in half a day at most. AFL footballers are running/moving from 12-16km in variety of ways in, say, 2.5 hours.

Also, he's running in a straight line with momentum - where the mass is going in one direction - maybe with a curve if he did 200s or 400s. Obviously AFL players have to stop, turn and hold position in all directions, alot of the time. Add that to the weekly endurance aspect and players' legs and core are under a lot more stress when they play 5 to 10kg heavier. That's not the case when you're sprinting 120 metres in a straight line.

I actually trained with the guy Ferball mentioned who won the Stawell gift.
Back then doing gym work was not in vogue. We would start a pre season in July/August and would do sets on the speedball and do other stuff like pushups , sit-ups and stretching. After a month we would incorporate jogging laps for about 45 minutes. Then we would start to build up with 150m stride throughs.
By about September we would start doing 400m x 8 in about 70 seconds.
Once in season we would start to do speed work for the sprinters - this would vary from 100 , 200, 300 ,350 meters . If you were set for a race you would have a week or two of short 50m sprint work.Our trainer was old school, but got results

I actually trained with the guy Ferball mentioned who won the Stawell gift.
Back then doing gym work was not in vogue. We would start a pre season in July/August and would do sets on the speedball and do other stuff like pushups , sit-ups and stretching. After a month we would incorporate jogging laps for about 45 minutes. Then we would start to build up with 150m stride throughs.
By about September we would start doing 400m x 8 in about 70 seconds.
Once in season we would start to do speed work for the sprinters - this would vary from 100 , 200, 300 ,350 meters . If you were set for a race you would have a week or two of short 50m sprint work.Our trainer was old school, but got results

Was that ... was his name Sandy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back