Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slowest, tiny player to ever play for us i reckon.

His legs seemed to pump real fast but he didn't seem to actually go anywhere.

Feel bad though as he is an awesome bloke. He certainly gave it his best, all you can ask of any player for us.
Mario Turco and Daryl Schimmelbusch say hi.

Anyway, Rat was out there actually playing, not just as an onfield coach. Playing.

It was interesting, they were clearly using him as kind of a yardstick for the mids - this player is faster and stronger than anyone you'll come up against except the very elite women players, if you can stop him, you can stop anyone. He was also being tagged, again, setting the tagger a standard that if she works to in W games, will blanket anyone.

A few times he did things, mostly evasive stuff - always a key skill of his - where I was like wow this bloke was playing senior AFL footy four months, bit harsh having him out there against women who are part time but then it showed he was taking it very seriously.

He hit a few passes into the forward, again, a key skill, that were sublime, but were also kicks the women could hit, and many of them did, Emma Kearney in particular with one beautiful long pass.

Two thins struck me:

1) The spirit of mutual respect and shared endeavour between Rat and the women he's playing with/coaching. I defy anyone to say "Oh, he's being made to do it because of the evil forces that have take over the club".

2) People who say "If a man identifies as a woman, she must be treated as one and preventing her from playing any women's sport is transphobic hatred" is just so plainly full of shit and pushing a crappy political agenda it isn't funny. A joke, ludicrous.

Our women's team was one the best last year and in Emma Kearney has one of the premier mids in the game. Hrovat is so much faster and stronger than her it isn't funny. And as I said, Emma is a gun, goes as hard as anyone and hit a perfect long pass, its just physiology.

Yet Rat couldn't get a game for a side that didn't make finals in the men's for most of the year.

I really enjoy watching the women's game evolve and watching them train is fascinating, but jeez, this notion of letting people born male play againsgt people born women is just so stupid.

Anyway, Rat was out there actually playing, not just as an onfield coach. Playing.

It was interesting, they were clearly using him as kind of a yardstick for the mids - this player is faster and stronger than anyone you'll come up against except the very elite women players, if you can stop him, you can stop anyone. He was also being tagged, again, setting the tagger a standard that if she works to in W games, will blanket anyone.

A few times he did things, mostly evasive stuff - always a key skill of his - where I was like wow this bloke was playing senior AFL footy four months, bit harsh having him out there against women who are part time but then it showed he was taking it very seriously.

He hit a few passes into the forward, again, a key skill, that were sublime, but were also kicks the women could hit, and many of them did, Emma Kearney in particular with one beautiful long pass.

Two thins struck me:

1) The spirit of mutual respect and shared endeavour between Rat and the women he's playing with/coaching. I defy anyone to say "Oh, he's being made to do it because of the evil forces that have take over the club".

2) People who say "If a man identifies as a woman, she must be treated as one and preventing her from playing any women's sport is transphobic hatred" is just so plainly full of shit and pushing a crappy political agenda it isn't funny. A joke, ludicrous.

Our women's team was one the best last year and in Emma Kearney has one of the premier mids in the game. Hrovat is so much faster and stronger than her it isn't funny. And as I said, Emma is a gun, goes as hard as anyone and hit a perfect long pass, its just physiology.

Yet Rat couldn't get a game for a side that didn't make finals in the men's for most of the year.

I really enjoy watching the women's game evolve and watching them train is fascinating, but jeez, this notion of letting people born male play againsgt people born women is just so stupid.
It is good to hear about how they're training. And if we could just move past that super obvious starting point to a debate that would derail one of the few interesring off season threads, thatd be good too.

Two thins struck me:

I’d back Phillipousis to come out and beat Serena tomoro in a tennis match. Serena gets a handicap too.
It’s not sexist or unfair it’s just physics.

Anyone know if they're training Tuesday?

Dunno but I’d presume so, being preseason and all. If you can’t find an answer here you could always camp out at Arden St watching the countdown clock on the scoreboard tomorrow night Heaps.

Dunno but I’d presume so, being preseason and all. If you can’t find an answer here you could always camp out at Arden St watching the countdown clock on the scoreboard tomorrow night Heaps.
I drove past Saturday afternoon and can confirm that there was no one training

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched a bit of training this morning - thanks uber-painful infected cyst that's got me a few days off - and a few things struck me.

1 - they were doing a contested say ten on ten type drill, basically full contact (except for injured blokes) keepings off cross British Bulldog on about a third of the ground. Jeez we hit hard and are relishing being a physical team, and jeez can Zurhaar and LDU play, their ability to find space in close is something else. Paul Ahern and Tarryn Thomas ability by foot is amazing, just brilliant kicks to position or the man.

2 - They're having fun, Shaw is right in the middle of it, and the boys are vocal and having a ball belting crap out of each other. Under Scott it was all very professional but the idea seemed to be "do the drill right". On this one, someone stuffed up - Durdin - not a critical skill error but he tried to beat something and just didn't nail it.

Shaw stops the drill and goes "When we're going inside 50, take care, in a game that goes bang and a goal against us", not directed at Durdin himself because the idea was right. And then it was straight back to the drill, the drill is not an aim itself, its just means to and end.

Bailey is getting heaps of stick for not being able to tackle Cunners too. Bailey tackled him and Ben just shakes him off (he's put Elliott Yeo on his arse so no disrespect to Bailey) but it is clearly a thing with the boys and firing Bailey up.

At this time last year people were saying "Something stinks down there" but this year, the mood is upbeat and really aggressive.

Someone needs to put up a brick wall across the ground, because they'll run through if Rhyce asks them too, and he'll be right beside them as they crash through.

(Couldn't tell who any of the draftees were, so can't tell you hpw they look. TG was doing goal practice and looking unhappy he was missing out on sanctioned violence)

Can add further to well worded training notes above...

* Shaw pulled aside one of our recognised guns and told him his efforts aren't good enough. Took it very well and the next session there was a huge improvement.
* The players are going 100 miles an hour, and the club cannot stop them. lol
* the physicality is off any charts that would include the month of December and probably Jan & Feb.
* Walker made a couple of mistakes as he doesn't understand our new set up, which involves not over committing to the ball, ya know how we use to have everyone sucked into the contest, no longer going to happen.
* Wood is trialling as a back man, is doing ok as well. We're really going to try and run the **** out of our defence and deliver low bullet like passes to those further up the ground. No " hang time" is the call and yes we are practising this regularly.

Can add further to well worded training notes above...

* Shaw pulled aside one of our recognised guns and told him his efforts aren't good enough. Took it very well and the next session there was a huge improvement.
* The players are going 100 miles an hour, and the club cannot stop them. lol
* the physicality is off any charts that would include the month of December and probably Jan & Feb.
* Walker made a couple of mistakes as he doesn't understand our new set up, which involves not over committing to the ball, ya know how we use to have everyone sucked into the contest, no longer going to happen.
* Wood is trialling as a back man, is doing ok as well. We're really going to try and run the fu** out of our defence and deliver low bullet like passes to those further up the ground. No " hang time" is the call and yes we are practising this regularly.

I like the idea of wood at half back.
Hosie can take his spot up forward.

* Wood is trialling as a back man, is doing ok as well. We're really going to try and run the fu** out of our defence and deliver low bullet like passes to those further up the ground. No " hang time" is the call and yes we are practising this regularly.

****ing finally!.....

Adding Wood to the equation, there's going to be a genuine fight to the death with only really 3 slots available for the following:

Williams
Pittard
McDonald
Macmillan
Ahern
Wood
EVW

Hmm, "recognised guns" narrows it down a fair bit ...

Silky left-footer who can sometimes look like he's cruising a bit?

Adding Wood to the equation, there's going to be a genuine fight to the death with only really 3 slots available for the following:

Williams
Pittard
McDonald
Macmillan
Ahern
Wood
EVW
Looking at that list, Ahern & McDonald would want to establish themselves as genuine mid/defender options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back