Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any confirmed injury concerns after today's intra-club ?

If anything serious would have leaked now, especially wuith journos present.

Thomas in first tackle, almost fights his way out - which was really impressive, in a year or two he'll be breaking those properly.

Aiden "He Who Must Never Be Criticised Or Tears Shall Flood The Board" Bonar second up, takes possession, gets caught flat footed by Jed and nailed.

Cunners was caught holding the ball time and again at Bonar's age. Jed is a fierce tackler and I think that says more about him than Aiden. I've seen the footage, and if it was say Ziebell, or Cunnington caught in the tackle, everyone would be going nuts over how great a tackler Jed is (which he is). Give the kid a chance.

Cunners was caught holding the ball time and again at Bonar's age. Jed is a fierce tackler and I think that says more about him than Aiden. I've seen the footage, and if it was say Ziebell, or Cunnington caught in the tackle, everyone would be going nuts over how great a tackler Jed is (which he is). Give the kid a chance.

I'm giving him e very chance. I reckon he'll play later in the season.

I actually saw him and LDU at the ground yesterday, they were leaving the gym, I was there watching the girl's intraclub.

Bonar is built the proverbial brick shithouse agreed.

But I've also seen him in training drills, and he's got a way to go yet before he's up at that starting midfield level. Even compared to blokes in his same age cohort like LDU, Bailey Scott, Jy etc.

I'm giving him e very chance. I reckon he'll play later in the season.

I actually saw him and LDU at the ground yesterday, they were leaving the gym, I was there watching the girl's intraclub.

Bonar is built the proverbial brick shithouse agreed.

But I've also seen him in training drills, and he's got a way to go yet before he's up at that starting midfield level. Even compared to blokes in his same age cohort like LDU, Bailey Scott, Jy etc.
Yep he’ll be fine

NORTH MELBOURNE

Rhyce Shaw's first pre-season in charge since replacing Brad Scott as senior coach has certainly been different. The Kangaroos use their big screen at Arden Street to keep score in match simulation, explain drills and for the 'shot clock' that times every activity. Players are conditioned to a siren sounding when the shot clock expires, and they typically respond by bolting back to coach Shaw. The coach is getting his hands dirty, too, involving himself in match simulation and running drills.

Injury list

Majak Daw:
Daw's serious hip and pelvic injuries are largely behind him but the hamstring setback that prematurely ended his season – four games into his comeback – means he remains on a modified, preventative program.

Kyron Hayden: Suffered a season-ending left Achilles injury in his AFL debut in late June and his rehabilitation has been long and precautionary. Ran this week for the first time since the injury occurred.

Ben Jacobs: Remains indefinitely out but is doing some running, and the Roos' medical staff are again labelling what Jacobs is going through as concussion-like symptoms. However, his complex issues are also to his nose and neck.

Luke McDonald: Fractured the fibula near the ankle on his right leg in mid-July and is still on the road to recovery. Resumed light run-throughs in late November and has steadily increased his intensity since, on top of swimming with Ed Vickers-Willis and Will Walker.

Tom Murphy: Ankle injuries plagued Murphy's 2019 season and the sweet-kicking defender is easing his way back into the pre-season as a result but is on the improve.

Flynn Perez: The fresh draftee suffered an anterior cruciate ligament tear in a Vic Country under-18 training camp in December last year. Should resume full training shortly after the Christmas break.

Dom Tyson: A persistent calf problem ruined Tyson's first season at Arden Street but it was a left shoulder dislocation that ended it. He underwent surgery in late August and will look to increase his output post-Christmas.

Ed Vickers-Willis: Had a setback in November in his ACL recovery and underwent an arthroscopy to fix some issues causing discomfort. Has focused on strengthening his left knee but will increase his training loads after Christmas, although a playing return date is unclear.

Will Walker: Missed all of 2019 after developing a stress reaction in his left tibia in February. That followed him suffering low-grade PCL damage, a compression fracture of the tibia and a joint capsule tear six months earlier. Is running again and targeting a return to full training in late January or early February.

Jack Ziebell: Has been on a modified program up to Christmas, similar to the one he had after the break at the start of this year, following his calf issues. The plan is to keep him fresh and avoid him doing too much too early.

Christmas Break

The Roos break for the year on Saturday and will resume on Monday, January 13. They already attended a training camp at Mornington and don't have another one planned for the new year.

Marsh Community Series

Friday, February 21 v Western Bulldogs @ Marvel Stadium
Monday, March 9 v Sydney @ Kingston Twin Oval, Tasmania

And another thing…

North Melbourne's leadership group has barely changed in recent years but could an emerging midfielder be about to shake things up? Jy Simpkin, who is preparing for his fourth season at AFL level, is keen to be a club leader and his wish might come true sooner rather than later. - Marc McGowan

NORTH MELBOURNE

Rhyce Shaw's first pre-season in charge since replacing Brad Scott as senior coach has certainly been different. The Kangaroos use their big screen at Arden Street to keep score in match simulation, explain drills and for the 'shot clock' that times every activity. Players are conditioned to a siren sounding when the shot clock expires, and they typically respond by bolting back to coach Shaw. The coach is getting his hands dirty, too, involving himself in match simulation and running drills.

Injury list

Majak Daw:
Daw's serious hip and pelvic injuries are largely behind him but the hamstring setback that prematurely ended his season – four games into his comeback – means he remains on a modified, preventative program.

Kyron Hayden: Suffered a season-ending left Achilles injury in his AFL debut in late June and his rehabilitation has been long and precautionary. Ran this week for the first time since the injury occurred.

Ben Jacobs: Remains indefinitely out but is doing some running, and the Roos' medical staff are again labelling what Jacobs is going through as concussion-like symptoms. However, his complex issues are also to his nose and neck.

Luke McDonald: Fractured the fibula near the ankle on his right leg in mid-July and is still on the road to recovery. Resumed light run-throughs in late November and has steadily increased his intensity since, on top of swimming with Ed Vickers-Willis and Will Walker.

Tom Murphy: Ankle injuries plagued Murphy's 2019 season and the sweet-kicking defender is easing his way back into the pre-season as a result but is on the improve.

Flynn Perez: The fresh draftee suffered an anterior cruciate ligament tear in a Vic Country under-18 training camp in December last year. Should resume full training shortly after the Christmas break.

Dom Tyson: A persistent calf problem ruined Tyson's first season at Arden Street but it was a left shoulder dislocation that ended it. He underwent surgery in late August and will look to increase his output post-Christmas.

Ed Vickers-Willis: Had a setback in November in his ACL recovery and underwent an arthroscopy to fix some issues causing discomfort. Has focused on strengthening his left knee but will increase his training loads after Christmas, although a playing return date is unclear.

Will Walker: Missed all of 2019 after developing a stress reaction in his left tibia in February. That followed him suffering low-grade PCL damage, a compression fracture of the tibia and a joint capsule tear six months earlier. Is running again and targeting a return to full training in late January or early February.

Jack Ziebell: Has been on a modified program up to Christmas, similar to the one he had after the break at the start of this year, following his calf issues. The plan is to keep him fresh and avoid him doing too much too early.

Christmas Break

The Roos break for the year on Saturday and will resume on Monday, January 13. They already attended a training camp at Mornington and don't have another one planned for the new year.

Marsh Community Series

Friday, February 21 v Western Bulldogs @ Marvel Stadium
Monday, March 9 v Sydney @ Kingston Twin Oval, Tasmania

And another thing…

North Melbourne's leadership group has barely changed in recent years but could an emerging midfielder be about to shake things up? Jy Simpkin, who is preparing for his fourth season at AFL level, is keen to be a club leader and his wish might come true sooner rather than later. - Marc McGowan

Would hope that some fresh blood is added to the leadership group like Simpkin or Dumont.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember feeling relieved he didn't do his ACL in that incident. In hindsight, it's been worse.

TG and Luke McDonald down at the ground this morning doing drills on their own - extra running, leading and sprinting stuff for TG, Luke keeping it more at half to three quarter pace.

TG and Luke McDonald down at the ground this morning doing drills on their own - extra running, leading and sprinting stuff for TG, Luke keeping it more at half to three quarter pace.

And you’re there to rub them down

Robbie Taz, Jasper, Marley and Durds all down there this morning doing extra running.

Some takeaways based on them doing what looked like 400m sets:

• Jasper is going to take it up another level, his issue has always been confidence in his ability and he just seems relaxed and was leading the group. Fit as a mallee bull too.
  • Marley was trailing the group at many points but could also push towards the end as required. He's not a tall bloke but jeez is he built, strong
  • Durds is fit and seems to be part of a senior defensive group here, he's a great size and height for modern footy. Expect big things.
  • Robbie Tarrant. Silly early middle aged me goes down for a bit of a run and kick the footy at goal as I go past, thinking "Yeah, shouldn't be too hard to get fit again this summer." Then Robbie rocks up, takes off his top and starts smashing 400 run throughs. Way to kill my motivation Robbie you magnificent beast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back