Travis Varcoe

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Calls for Varcoe to be dropped

VC dodged a bullet this week, but it hit Tom Hawkins.

Don't know if we can load old Pods with almost one out tall responsibilities while we drop Hawkins and Mooney for whatever reasons.
He just ends up double teamed. We need another tall forward desparate!
Fortunately we're at home to the Dogs.
Jepers, Varcoe's got it all his way this week, they'll have to spread wide in attack after removing two talls from the fwd setup, that should give him every chance surely.
We'll see.

I am not sure I agree with this unseen team role theory. The quite clear role Varcoe has is as a game breaker, with goals and thrilling runs, one he has fullfilled well. There is no real tactical masterclass here.

What the supporters and the coaches are disappointed is the total absence of a contribution in any other facet of the game.

There is no debate Varcoe is worth a game, he is a brilliant game breaker in a team no longer awash with them. The debate is whether he needs a rocket from the coaches in the form of a demotion.

He is not even at last year's level and we expected, and presumably paid him accordingly, a big upturn. Some people even suggested he was worth more than a million a year to GWS. At current form, about a fifth of that is appropriate.

Spot on, bulletproof. :thumbsu:

Against Collingwood in round 19 last year, Varcoe was the one player who to me looked unstoppable and the Magpie fans around me were paying him similar attention.

And I thought, here we go, Gazza '07 all over again. A quantum jump in footy prowess.

But not just yet it seems...

Spot on, bulletproof. :thumbsu:

Against Collingwood in round 19 last year, Varcoe was the one player who to me looked unstoppable and the Magpie fans around me were paying him similar attention.

And I thought, here we go, Gazza '07 all over again. A quantum jump in footy prowess.

But not just yet it seems...

Really, no offence but what a stupid comparison or expectation(w/Ablett). I heard others say similar things about Varcoe... all faith driven more than anything else. The guy is really, really frustrating me. His inability to make a contest, but his body on the line, even attempt to win the ball at stoppages is lousy to say the least... don't get me started on his 2nd efforts.

I don't care if he's been the game breaker twice in 10 games this year, he's not contributing on the TEAM level. He's not doing the team things, the things his team mates and club expects.

Its been a shame to see so many indigenous players highlighted this year for poor work rate / pulling out of contests, Varcoe fits squarely into that bracket. I've seen nothing to suggest he'll ever be anything but a typical indigenous, flashy type of player who won't gut run and show physical presence in a ball winning sense. The Adam Goodes' of the world certainly don't grow on trees unfortunately.

yes pulls out of contests all the time over the last few weeks. Something is def not right with him.
Maybe, but I'd like him IN against Hawks/Saints. Weeks off after those 2 please.

TV dogged being dropped this week after being a passenger last week against Gold Coast then he gets made the sub for today. You would have thought he would come out firing and prove himself when he got on today,,,,, but nope,,,, did nothing to prove he warrents a spot in this team. He got 2 kicks last week and imporoved today with 3 kicks in almost 2 quaters. If the mc pick him again for Hawks match then we play one man short.

Bomber perserved with him beleiving in him, and so has Chris Scott, but after having played 86 games hes not a learner anymore, and is not even showing like he wants the ball.... Very Soft attitude.....

He must join Hawkins in the vfl now, find some form and condifence and understand you keep your place in this team by your performance.

It would be great to have him and Hawkins, come september, but only when they prove there ready, which clearly tv is not.

yes pulls out of contests all the time over the last few weeks. Something is def not right with him.
I mentioned this a few weeks ago and was told in no uncertain terms that I was wrong and that he never gives up on the chase and never shirks it, glad/unfortunatly I'm not the only one seeing it:rolleyes:

Maybe, but I'd like him IN against Hawks/Saints. Weeks off after those 2 please.

Have you no consideration for the team? when this guy wants to play 'bruise free', and you want him out there against the Hawks and Saints???
Are you nuts or just blind?
There's was a tough little guy named Alan Christensen in the two's is week, best on ground, he deserves to be playing in the seniors not this front runner.
How bout the rest of the year off! Please!

Perhaps he gets a week coming off the bench as a sub, with the directive, "you've got one and a half quarters to work as a high impact player, now get out there and really show us what you've got."
Anyway, at 9-0, Chris seems to know what he's doing so far!

Sorry TV, have a good chat with the physios etc about your shoulder, then have a run in the 2s for a couple of weeks, and show us how much you want to be in the 1s.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago and was told in no uncertain terms that I was wrong and that he never gives up on the chase and never shirks it, glad/unfortunatly I'm not the only one seeing it:rolleyes:

You're absolutely correct. It's one thing to avoid contests and occasionally get caught in them; he's avoiding them and running away from the ball rather than place himself near any physicality.

Sick of the endless excuses for this squib, he's got none. We're 10 games into the season and he's played precisely 3 good patches of football all season (one quarter each against Fremantle, Hawthorn and Carlton). Totally unsighted otherwise.

If it's good enough for Hawkins to be dropped, it's good enough for him. Out for Christensen please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're absolutely correct. It's one thing to avoid contests and occasionally get caught in them; he's avoiding them and running away from the ball rather than place himself near any physicality.

One of the things he does really well is running down opponents and tackling them - I can't recall him doing that this year.

One of the things he does really well is running down opponents and tackling them - I can't recall him doing that this year.

This has been really noticeable for me too - remember the time he ran Franklin down? :)

This year he seems content to just run alongside and corral opponents, in 3rd gear at best, rather than engage them with any physical contact.

Christensen got BOG in the reserves yesterday on the back of his contested work and run - it'll be interesting to see if Scott thinks he's earned a game in front of Varcoe this week.

Have you no consideration for the team? when this guy wants to play 'bruise free', and you want him out there against the Hawks and Saints???
There's was a tough little guy named Alan Christensen in the two's is week, best on ground, he deserves to be playing in the seniors not this front runner.

I thought that Travis was holding back yesterday too. He looked like he was just waiting on the fringes for the easy possession and made no attempt to put a block on the opposition to aid his team mates when he had opportunity to do so. I am not sure if it is a confidence thing with his shoulder but he probably could do with a spell in the twos.

His spell against the Dawks last time we met them was invaluable, and he may be spared as Scott may have that in mind. But I cannot help but think that he seems very conscious to avoid body contact.

If it is just a lack of commitment on his part to the ball then he needs to learn that it is an honor to play AFL for Geelong not a right. If he is not quite fit then he needs a rest to get any injury right.

But talk of giving players "the rest of the year off" is plain stupid. All players should be judged on their form. If a player is dropped and recovers form in the VFL and a position becomes available for them in the AFL side then they should be selected on the merit of their then present form.

So why is he still in the team? He must be doing something the coaches want, apart from his cameos. And yes it is about the team. If he is out for those 2 games and we win, great, but if we don't, his absence and big game performances and TEAM LIFTING GOALS could be what was lacking. The MC are patient as they KNOW when he is expected to catch up after his off season rehab. His teammates value him greatly even today. We are not over burdened with players with a touch of magic when you need it.

And after all our diatribe, he'll probably be rested next week.

Besides, if Varcoe is out, surely Chappy comes in for him. Christensen for Cowan if there is a change for Hawks.

What's he doing in the team, is more to the point, the little cameos are as good as it gets.
As I previously said, if it's good enough for Hawkins, go back to the 2's and rip it up!

Then he'll be chosen on form no questions asked, but do, just don't talk him up, the guy survives on false hype.

Nathan Djerrkura was his best mate and he has left. His brother got the chop also. I am thinking this is his problem. Nothing to do with shoulders or injuries. I can understand why he hasn't been dropped as they may want him to try and find his form again on the field while others can cover him.

But if he is still playing like this come finals time then he should not be picked.

So TV is skirting around the pack is he? (Gliding maybe? )

I want my thread from 6 weeks ago reopened. I'm a genius.
I'm just a faceless keyboard hero. But i am ahead of the BF pack :D

And while I am at it.
He lined up for that shot at goal against the bullies and you knew there was no chance it would miss.
The kid is an elite kick. He just has to get it. AND kick it.

Really, no offence but what a stupid comparison or expectation(w/Ablett). I heard others say similar things about Varcoe... all faith driven more than anything else. The guy is really, really frustrating me. His inability to make a contest, but his body on the line, even attempt to win the ball at stoppages is lousy to say the least... don't get me started on his 2nd efforts.

I don't care if he's been the game breaker twice in 10 games this year, he's not contributing on the TEAM level. He's not doing the team things, the things his team mates and club expects.

Its been a shame to see so many indigenous players highlighted this year for poor work rate / pulling out of contests, Varcoe fits squarely into that bracket. I've seen nothing to suggest he'll ever be anything but a typical indigenous, flashy type of player who won't gut run and show physical presence in a ball winning sense. The Adam Goodes' of the world certainly don't grow on trees unfortunately.

No offence taken, PatrickBateman. (It's usually my policy not to engage with serial killers but I'll make an exception in this instance.)

Allow me to defend my previous statement against accusations of "stupidity".

It may have been ambiguous, but it wasn't my intention to rate Varoce as Ablett's equal, just that, after what I saw of him last year, I was hopeful we'd see him take another step up, akin to, but not to the same level as, the eye-poppingly remarkable metamorphosis we all witnessed with Ablett '07.

It's easy to call the comparison "stupid" because with the benefit of hindsight we're all blinded by how damn good Ablett now is, but was Ablett '06 better than Varcoe '10? In the midst of a generally mega-disappointing 2006, Ablett was just another under-performing kid with potential.

It's easy to call the comparison "stupid" because with the benefit of hindsight we're all blinded by how damn good Ablett now is, but was Ablett '06 better than Varcoe '10? In the midst of a generally mega-disappointing 2006, Ablett was just another under-performing kid with potential.

So what you're really trying to propose is, Travis Varcoe will be Gary Ablett in a couple of years. LOL.
The 06 Ablett was lightyears ahead of the now Varcoe, surely you jest their on par.
Suppose you're suggesting that we just let him continue on his merry way in the seniors. Yeah right!
You people are so one eyed bout this guy you don't understand its all about the clubs chances for success come September, not individuals.
Imagine us winning the flag in the year of our prophescied demise.
If he's got what it takes with all the latent potential you claim he'll be quickly reinstated, but now for the sake of the team, he must be dropped a la Hawkins.

So TV is skirting around the pack is he? (Gliding maybe? )

I want my thread from 6 weeks ago reopened. I'm a genius.
I'm just a faceless keyboard hero. But i am ahead of the BF pack :D

And while I am at it.
He lined up for that shot at goal against the bullies and you knew there was no chance it would miss.
The kid is an elite kick. He just has to get it. AND kick it.

VC, you should take a bow. You were absolutely correct. I thought when you first mentioned it after the Port game in Round 3 you were grossly exaggerating - until I saw the footage. And aside from the odd spurt since (10 minutes each against Hawthorn and Carlton) he's gotten worse.

If selection really is based on merit, then Christensen has to come in for Varcoe. Don't hold your breath though.

Nathan Djerrkura was his best mate and he has left. His brother got the chop also. I am thinking this is his problem. Nothing to do with shoulders or injuries. I can understand why he hasn't been dropped as they may want him to try and find his form again on the field while others can cover him.

But if he is still playing like this come finals time then he should not be picked.

Come finals time? That's half a season away, there's no way he can maintain his current non-form and non-efforts for that long.

His biggest single problem is in intense physical contests he is nowhere to be seen; exactly what we'll encounter in the finals. He needs to regain form in the seconds before any other pronouncements are made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back