Preview Trial game - Crows V Port - 5pm Friday 23 Feb at Alberton Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely this: it can get ingrained into young players minds and take som time to shake off: I think this was a main factor with Jones and still is

It wasn't. The main factor was that we misread Jones talent level and rushed him to a position where he has no real future in at AFL level - and one that isn't a system role. Equally, we thrusted a responsibility onto Jones that he should have never had - after all, he was our golden boy to say we'll rebuild quickly and we weren't in a dire spot talent wise. Add in COVID and you have a powder keg waiting to go off.

2nd KPD is a system role and one were crying out for a skill set like Curtin in seeing how much we've morphed into a proper counter-attacking unit. If Curtin is legit, he'll survive this year and eventually thrive as an Alex Rance like player.

Last edited:

Absolutely this: it can get ingrained into young players minds and take som time to shake off: I think this was a main factor with Jones and still is

Maybe. To me Jones looked like a child when he came into the league - even 3 years in he still looked out of place and got smashed in most contests. He looks physically up to it now and his performance has lifted accordingly

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Be interesting to know exactly what role Daniel played in defence in his 6 WAFL League games for Claremont.
I know he started the season playing mostly as a forward for the Claremont colts before shifting to defence mostly at the Nationals.

In his interviews he sees himself as a big bodied mid down the track.

Saw a little bit of his wafl and he was a high back , I guess best comparison would be Mitch Hinge role

Maybe. To me Jones looked like a child when he came into the league - even 3 years in he still looked out of place and got smashed in most contests. He looks physically up to it now and his performance has lifted accordingly

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He started showing signs last year of taking the next step. Coming back from an awkward injury so he needs to get gametime under his belt.

I wonder whether the AFL could make a rule that 'if you commit a reportable offence and cause injury to a player. Minimum penalty = What the MRO comes up. Maximum penalty = Until an independent doctor says the player injured is fine to return.....Or the end of that season"
Yes,
what an excellent addition to the contact sport of Australian Rules Football. I also hope they will cancel games in the wet because slippery is dangerous, they should also cancel games in the heat because people have died from being too hot.

Clown world solutions.

Please don't forget to add your ladder prediction for us to the prediction thread.
I assume you'll have us bottom 4?
Everyone knows everything until they have to put it on the line. This is why we have those threads, to kneecap that know it alls and captain hindsights that cruise around on here.
We will likely finish bottom 4, like we would have last year if we didn't get double games against some real bad sides. We have progressed from a really bad side to a bad side with occasional glimpses of ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will likely finish bottom 4, like we would have last year if we didn't get double games against some real bad sides. We have progressed from a really bad side to a bad side with occasional glimpses of ok.

More specifically I would say we're a team that will be difficult to play against any game we max out our physicality, but we lack the top talent in the important parts of the ground to be anything more than an occasional spoiler.

Anywhere from 7 to 12 I'd say, depending on the usual fortunes of professional sports.

More specifically I would say we're a team that will be difficult to play against any game we max out our physicality, but we lack the top talent in the important parts of the ground to be anything more than an occasional spoiler.

Anywhere from 7 to 12 I'd say, depending on the usual fortunes of professional sports.
Have you finished re-watching the replay and counting those contested marks from Thilthorpe yet??? Dawson, Rankine/Rachele/Soligo/Pedlar, Laird and 2017 M.Crouch looks top talent.

Have you finished re-watching the replay and counting those contested marks from Thilthorpe yet???
Of his 6 supposed contested marks, one was on the lead out of reach of his defender essentially ucontested, and the other was over a small defender in the goal square, no need to see the rest. What was on display was the number he didn't take, and the poorly thought out pass across goal when any genuine forward worth his salt would have taken on the shot himself.

He just isn't a key forward, has lacked the mentality for it every chance he's been given to prove otherwise. In the ruck is where he belongs at AFL level.

Of his 6 supposed contested marks, one was on the lead out of reach of his defender essentially ucontested, and the other was over a small defender in the goal square, no need to see the rest. What was on display was the number he didn't take, and the poorly thought out pass across goal when any genuine forward worth his salt would have taken on the shot himself.

He just isn't a key forward, has lacked the mentality for it every chance he's been given to prove otherwise. In the ruck is where he belongs at AFL level.
"No need to see the rest" so no you haven't lol.

I was Implying the defensive mind set
B4 you were on this board (I think) there was someone here that seemed to get a bit of intel on Jones. Said something to the effect of that the coach would say one thing off the field to the midfield group and then when Sloane, Crouch and Crouch would get on field they would say chase my opponent and I'll go kick chasing. Jones ended up being caught between what the coaches were saying and what his leaders were saying and not doing well at either and we all saw the result.

B4 you were on this board (I think) there was someone here that seemed to get a bit of intel on Jones. Said something to the effect of that the coach would say one thing off the field to the midfield group and then when Sloane, Crouch and Crouch would get on field they would say chase my opponent and I'll go kick chasing. Jones ended up being caught between what the coaches were saying and what his leaders were saying and not doing well at either and we all saw the result.
I recall someone posting something along these lines

If anyone with skills can post the vision of Thilthorpe taking contested marks it would be greatly appreciated to show one of the posters

I’m tipping 6 but maybe it was more like 4 with a couple of ‘nearlys’

In any case he was the clear most dangerous tall forward on the ground which is definite progression
For anyone interested ended up being 4 contested marks ( 2 against alir and one Esava ) … also earnt a free kick in a marking contest that he would have marked otherwise

Most contested marks on the ground , good signs !

For anyone interested ended up being 4 contested marks ( 2 against alir and one Esava ) … also earnt a free kick in a marking contest that he would have marked otherwise

Most contested marks on the ground , good signs !

and of those 4, one was the not really contested mark pictured earlier, and the other was over a small defender conceding a significant amount of size.

Hardly worth writing home about.

Why would I spend one of my precious days off watching a replay of a trial game I went to?

This board is genuinely unhinged far too much of the time.
Exactly - it makes much more sense to sit on your computer and make outrageously incorrect statements and then try to argue their correctness than watch a video of a game you obviously didn’t have a good view of…

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Trial game - Crows V Port - 5pm Friday 23 Feb at Alberton Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back