Trouble in Demonland

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently West Coast draws supporters from all areas of Perth, including Fremantle (a suburb in Perth). You can't move the Eagles, theres nothing to move, they are omnipresent. I live in a suburb in the South and barely know a dockers supporter at all. The same goes for the dockers really, they may be called Fremantle, but its just a name, they draw supporters from the inner city suburbs and north of the river suburbs just as much as the South. I don't have a problem with another team in Perth, but it doesnt require anybody moving anywhere at all. People will support the new team regardless of which part of Perth they live in if the team markets itself well.

However if you want to get supporter for a new team, dont move a Melbourne club to Perth, will put people righ off!

Yes, I doubt many in Perth would choose to support a relocated former Victorian club over Freo and West Coast.

If Melbourne go down the relocation path West Sydney is the way to go. It would instantly solve many problems.

Start getting your head around this now. There will be a merged club from Melbourne and will be called the Melbourne Kangaroos.

It's just so obvious.

I disagree. I think a merger between the Dogs and the Demons would be a better fit as although I think the Doggies are the best of the 3, I just get the feeling that they would be slightly more open and accepting (I know I am gonna get shouted down by this) to a merger. Kangaroos supporters are far too petulent for a Demons/Kangaroos merger to work. Better to let the Roos just die.

If push came to shove and we had no other options, I'd be OK with merging with North. I'd say if that happened, Bulldogs (with their low membership) will be the team that folds or relocates.

I'd rather merge and play all our home games in Melbourne, rather than re-locate or fold. The VFL option is a joke because the standard and atmosphere at a VFL game is a joke.

I hope the MFC board get their heads out of the sand. It's getting serious.

Getting the message out that the brand is worthless is important. Too many people think that the AFL will never allow a club with the name 'Melbourne' to go out of business. The message here seems to be that the AFL has lost patience and the name won't save the club.

I know that newspapers and the Roy Morgan's of this world occasionally try to tell us how many supporters a club has but from my perspective Melbourne has plenty of supporters. I know far more Melbourne fans than Hawks. But the problem is that they are either MCC members or just apathetic. The difference between Richmond & Melbourne supporters couldn't be more stark.

It's time for Melbourne people to show their passion for their club. Buy a membership and give your club a boost by being at the games win, lose or draw. If you are an MCC member take out a MFC membership too or swap your MCC one for an AFL membership where you can be a club support member. Otherwise, as the AFL is bluntly saying, we won't save you. North people are putting their necks on the line by saying they are a Melbourne club and their membership figure is fantastic. All power to them.

As much as I don't like Vlad, the AFL shouldn't save a club from its own apathy. Credit to most Melbourne people posting here as they seem to think that this 'leaking' of the report is a good thing as it will put the acid on their supporters.

The usual suspects have turned up in a thread about Melbournes woes to yet again take off topic pot shots at North.

Surprised?

Not in the least.

OK. How about if I said North should take over Melbourne. Would that change you perspective ?

I actually admire North's desire to hang in the comp. I get the impression that Melbourne is just waiting for either a white knight, or for someone to put them out of their misery.

The usual suspects have turned up in a thread about Melbournes woes to yet again take off topic pot shots at North.

Surprised?

Not in the least.

You talking to yourself again noob??????:eek:

Not sure who you are referring to, but if you guys didn't turn the threads around from the original topic to NMFC then this wouldn't occur!

Surely Melbourne still have more 'passionate' members than North Melbourne, after seeing some North supporters thinking they're out of trouble. The 20 people who saw last Saturday's game is just fact that each member has two or more memberships, and that 10,000 corporate signings exist.

frankly i dont see why then name 'melbourne' is so important.

London is the biggest city in the UK and as far as i know there is no team called london FC in the EPL.

personaly though i would prefer to see melbourne demons stay in the AFL no team should have to merge or be closed down.

You talking to yourself again noob??????:eek:

Noob is the standard retort in this forum of a weak, insecure imbecile. :thumbsdown:

Steven Hawking could join this forum tomorrow and it would still be the only lame reply you could give.

Not sure who you are referring to, but if you guys didn't turn the threads around from the original topic to NMFC then this wouldn't occur!

Distortion is your middle name.

We were talking in relation to being a recently troubled club, as we have this in common with Melbourne.

Then, the usual relocation/merger trolls honed in, set up camp and distorted this to their own means.

____ off with your crap.:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a horrible 'hole in the bucket' sensation that comes with being a Melbourne supporter.

I sincerely hope things will turn around quick

I feel for you guys. One of my friends is a Demons supporter.
All you can ask is some honesty on the situation, so you the supporters can know exactly whats the state of the club is.

Uh oh. She's moved her sights to Melbourne.

At least North fans that she's off their back, I guess.

She jumps on whichever back Fitzpatrick tells her to. It was us just last week (based on ____ all) and it will be us again soon enough.

I have no doubt that their agenda is a 14 team competition with only 5 or 6 clubs in Melbourne.
14 teams was definitely the agenda a while back, maybe it still is?
Whatever the case it is the only way to a fixture with integrity and credibility.
Eventually I think the AFL will let clubs die and it will happen, although would have been far easier to go from 16 to 14 than 18 to 14.

Otherwise, I cannnot believe that fans are going ooh aah look what Caro is doing. FFsake if she didnt do the story someone else would.
Is it not newsworthy??

Its getting to the point where the honest facts need to be aired. Its quite disheartening to see the club you love in a difficult state but we just need to get through it somehow.

Otherwise, I cannnot believe that fans are going ooh aah look what Caro is doing. FFsake if she didnt do the story someone else would.
Is it not newsworthy??

When she starts writing pure opinion pieces 40 times a year on one club using club presidents as sources (without saying so) and doing the AFL's bidding consistently, then yeah, questions should be asked.

Whats the overall problem in all of this - not enough members and supporters.

The club has done a terrible job in getting more members this year, but done properly like North we can get 30k.

How do we get more supporters?
The end aim has to be to get all the MCC and elitist rich people who never come to games to come and show some passion. I truly believe the best way of doing this is to get more supporters in general and make it popular to be a Melbourne supporter who goes to games. But for this to happen we need to get a certain market that will get us the money to start the upward cycle. Hawthorn have done beautifully in Tassie as well as moving from Hawthorn out through the eastern suburbs. I think we should look at Canberra again (why go to the Gold Coast when they are getting their own team) or come up with somewhere completely different (Bendigo, Ballarat, Newcastle, Gosford) as well as trying our hand out Casey way. If we get so called grass roots support back for the club then we can get the MCC members back.

If they are not going to try anything different and just hope we magically become strong again then they should ask (or sue) one of their sponsors in the age for continually running negative press. They have created a negative attitude around the 150th year and should either stop it now, or embrace it, say where down on our knees and we need everyone back to the club.

That said the best thing right now would be a win or two, because Melbourne supporters can't jump off a bandwagon unless there was one to begin with and when we're winning the supporters come.

How do we get more supporters?
The end aim has to be to get all the MCC and elitist rich people who never come to games to come and show some passion. .

Mate this is a myth. There is this perception that the 'top end of Collins St' all follow the Dees and we just need to get them on board. It is not true. There are a lot of 60+ year olds out there who supported the Dees when they were kids/teenagers/young adults but they will never, ever sign up as to them it is a historical fact that they followed the club (my mum is one of them).

Problem relates to a long protracted period of no success, some apathy, no home and lack of leadership. It is not a case of rallying the troops, the whole culture has to change and it will take time.

Distortion is your middle name.

We were talking in relation to being a recently troubled club, as we have this in common with Melbourne.

Then, the usual relocation/merger trolls honed in, set up camp and distorted this to their own means.

____ off with your crap.:thumbsdown:

Distortion is MY middle name? This thread is about the Demons. One suggestion that they MAY merge with North and you guys come on here with your Kangaroo propaganda about how great the NMFC are etc. Fair dinkum, you must have an siren that goes off any time someone writes down NMFC or Kangaroos on Big Footy. You get here quicker than flys to a fresh ____ and turn it into a pro-Kangaroo thread!
RANT OVER!

Remove this Banner Ad

Trouble in Demonland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back