Other TV Coverage in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: NFL Coverage in Australia (2)

if it's available on Foxtel and doesnt need to be shown on FTA (i.e., anti-siphoning regulated), it's a monty to be axed. Murdoch and Packer will want fans to pony up for a PayTV subscription rather than watch it for free. that's money in the coffers before any advertising revenue.............and ad revenue on ONE was abysmal. the Victorian gridiron league ran a 10-week recruitment drive ad campaign from dec to the superbowl with some decent exposure for just $5k. this is peanuts in tv ad revenue terms. money well spent for GVIC though as it hit the target market. they have 4 new teams in the league this coming season.

http://www.thebear.com.au/Topic22280-19-1.aspx#bm22285

ideally, id love for certain sports to be retained in addition to the big motorsport events which i also enjoy - Serie A, Bundesliga, etc, all good entertainment. most of these are on early morning too. but it's not just what we personally like or what may get decent ratings in comparison to other programming that is considered. if the margins of ad revenue to cost of these sport programming options arent worthwhile, then there's no value in it. it's a bit like the gripe AFL fans have with better homes and gardens being aired before delayed footy on fri night. AFL probably rates better in the timeslot, but the advertising partners and revenue that is brought in by BH&Gs in comparison to the cost to broadcast the show (hence the margins) are exceptional to C7. the cost of the rights to broadcast AFL are huge and margins generally lower.

It only occured to me later that Murdoch has an interest in both increasing viewership of Ten and FOXTEL. That is certainly achieved by pushing sizable niches onto FOXTEL. Fans of niche sports generally are willing to pay for access. I couldn't believe how awesome (for NFC East games) One has been in that you barely miss FOXTEL.

That is probably all about to change.

This sucks! I was only just starting to appreciate NFL and now they're taking it off Free To Air?

I guess I'll have to do the Torrent thing.....Balls

There wasn't anything specifically saying it's gone was there?
Otherwise you'd think 3am Monday is a fairly useless time and the NFL is going to out-rate some random sitcom replays by a mile (and by a mile, i mean 5 people instead of 1)

with all the TV shows that one are buying i dont see them keeping NFL, NBA,MLB and NASCAR, so when they are out of contract i doubt they will resign, it will just cost too much when they are also throwing money at tv shows so they win the auction over 7 or 9

with all the TV shows that one are buying i dont see them keeping NFL, NBA,MLB and NASCAR, so when they are out of contract i doubt they will resign, it will just cost too much when they are also throwing money at tv shows so they win the auction over 7 or 9

Totally agree with you. It's just bizarre that instead of showing live NFL or NBA during the day they will probably have crappy daytime television. Surely more people watch these sports than the crap on other networks! Then again, we are a small niche. I'm sure all the stay at home mums wouldn't be watching live American sports on One!

It really sucks. Hopefully ESPN/Fox Sports get more games otherwise I'll have to get the NBA and NFL league pass subscriptions!

I am shocked with how poorly One is doing. The channel isn't making sense financially it seems. It seems Australians don't like watching sport as much as you'd think.

im more shocked how offended some people are that ONEHD are moving away from sport. they should just think about how spoiled they have been over the last 2-3 years, back 5 years back there was almost no US sport on FTA tv. and even in its prime one was not good enough for some. its always been known that if you want LIVE international sport you HAVE to pay for foxtel. also i doubt there are many countries in the world that have/had a 24/7 sports channel. people should just thank 10 for trying something new and it would never of competed with foxtel just because they dont have the money. One never realy had a chance to do that well when most of the live international sport is early morning or day time when most of the tv viewers are stay at home mums that watch the daytime soaps and talkshows

You'd think there'd be more ads for TiVo on One. A PVR makes One so much better. Makes Foxtel better too.

People would pay for sport if you could subscribe to just sport. But I know of no country that has cable tv sold piecemeal. And I don't think Foxtel is even that dear by international standards (of course, it ain't cheap either).

I guess we can but wait for the re-launch next month and see if they promise NFL or Knight Rider reruns.

I am shocked with how poorly One is doing. The channel isn't making sense financially it seems. It seems Australians don't like watching sport as much as you'd think.

Point the finger at TV execs... it's all about $$$$$ / ratings. Never anticipated a cult sport like American football @ 4.30am and 8am on Monday mornings with mindless sponsor/s to capture the masses of a grand target audience. :rolleyes:

NFL Gamepass is clearly an option if Foxtel doesn't trigger your interest.

Wouldn't surprise if ONE gets wounded up eventually. The programming schedule last season was dreadful. TV execs these days.. meh. :rolleyes:

Point the finger at TV execs... it's all about $$$$$ / ratings. Never anticipated a cult sport like American football @ 4.30am and 8am on Monday mornings with mindless sponsor/s to capture the masses of a grand target audience. :rolleyes:

NFL Gamepass is clearly an option if Foxtel doesn't trigger your interest.

Wouldn't surprise if ONE gets wounded up eventually. The programming schedule last season was dreadful. TV execs these days.. meh. :rolleyes:
Unless Foxtel pick up more coverage, I will probably head down the GamePass route. After using the brilliant NBA LeaguPass, despite the large difference in $/game, it is easily the best option, especially due to the ability to watch archived games.

im more shocked how offended some people are that ONEHD are moving away from sport. they should just think about how spoiled they have been over the last 2-3 years, back 5 years back there was almost no US sport on FTA tv. and even in its prime one was not good enough for some. its always been known that if you want LIVE international sport you HAVE to pay for foxtel. also i doubt there are many countries in the world that have/had a 24/7 sports channel. people should just thank 10 for trying something new and it would never of competed with foxtel just because they dont have the money. One never realy had a chance to do that well when most of the live international sport is early morning or day time when most of the tv viewers are stay at home mums that watch the daytime soaps and talkshows

I'm shocked at how you can't be offended when it's all about corporate greed and not ratings.

I also have Foxtel as well (with HD) but I'm still really annoyed with this because it means LESS NFL games and NBA games. Unless Fox Sports and ESPN buy more.

So now I wil probably have to rely on Foxtel and pay more money and subscribe to the NBA/NFL streaming services. They never show Bills games on TV anyway. If my memory serves me correctly, there was not 1 Bills game on One/Fox/ESPN last season.

Were the One games exclusive? Perhaps if One drops NFL, the rights will become available. Perhaps the could do a viewer's choice thing like EPL coverage. Lots of maybes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw on the bear pit forum, Older Dan that has a contact at ONE (ad sales dept) got word that LIVE NFL games will still be on ONE.

It's One's own fault for having such terrible scheduling.
As Woodson said, the few sports that they do boast with a real cult following (NFL, NBA, etc) are scheduled at terrible times for the average person to watch.
Then in the timeslots where people might be flicking around looking for something entertaining, they've got something completely inane and obscure like Bull Riding or surfing 'highlights'.

They even put their occasional replays of AFL games on at ungodly hours of the morning. :confused:

It's One's own fault for having such terrible scheduling.
As Woodson said, the few sports that they do boast with a real cult following (NFL, NBA, etc) are scheduled at terrible times for the average person to watch.
Then in the timeslots where people might be flicking around looking for something entertaining, they've got something completely inane and obscure like Bull Riding or surfing 'highlights'.

They even put their occasional replays of AFL games on at ungodly hours of the morning. :confused:

If it kept the NFL on air, I wouldn't care if it was on at 2am. PVR sorts that out for me.

The concern is that if the NFL is made to compete with Knight Rider repeats, NFL will lose :).

I've mentioned it before around here, but the gamepass is the best investment one could make, assuming you are a diehard nfl fan. I think it's about $100 to get a one-team season pass and the quality of the vision is astounding, hook a computer up to your tv with a HDMI cord and voila. Perfect football with 5.1 surround sound, complete with US ads and no cutting off plays.
However i will be dishing out for the full $220 odd full season total access pass, where you can watch NFL and NFL related shows 24/7 if you wish. Watch full games, half games, highlights, interviews, live games, recorded games. Works very well with most internet connections too

Couldn't recommend it enough.

With the one team season pass can you watch all the talk shows etc., they have, or just your teams games?

Can you chose to watch any of their games from the season so far?

You don't get the shows at all, only your team games. You can watch them live or after the event, so i assume you can access all the games in the season so far.

I had it for one week last year (the full NFL one) and it's pretty pricey for just the week (about $30 from memory) but i just wanted to try it out. Exceeded my expectations. Go on NFL.com now and check out the 'free trial' and it looks exactly like that, unless you have very poor internet.

UFL games apparently are all streamed free from their league site....

Stuck at work on a given night or afternoon, and can't see your favorite UFL team play?
Well, you can get back at your boss for making you work during the game by watching it - for free - at www.ufl-football.com. That has been a big part of the UFL's overall digital strategy.

Btw, about 40 days to go before UFL kick-off.

I haven't seen this before, but NFL.com seems to be streaming NFL Network live (with ads): (Link doesn't work anymore).

hi guys... not sure where this should have been but was hoping someone might have or be able to tell me where to download one of the compilation videos of the nfl big hits..

yes i have heard of youtube... yes i have the internet...

where i want to play it i cant get online to access youtube or an imbedded video...

so im tryin to find a video that i can downlaod and burn to disc or usb to play on a tv..

hoping someone can help...

cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Other TV Coverage in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back