Tyson Edwards battled cancer last season

Remove this Banner Ad

I for one thought he had had a dummy spit but now I see why he would have left. BUT WHY, TELL SOMEONE! He just ruined his reputation is so many peoples eyes.

Because he put his kids before his reputation.

From the article:
"A strong family man, Edwards kept his illness largely hidden to protect his three boys - Jackson, 11, Luke, 9, and Brodie, 7."

best wishes to Zoomer, wishing him all the health and happiness for the future

great to see that he is using his profile to raise awareness :thumbsu:

Oh when I saw the headline in the paper my heart just sunk. To think he/the club copped all that b.s last year over his departure whilst he was going through his own personal struggles :(

Well I hope all the best for him. Found a new respect for Tyson after reading the articles. Hoping he stays cancer free for the rest of his life!

Read the full story guys as Tyson told at least 5 people at the Crows including Craig & Goodwin, deserves all the support he needs.

The article in the Tiser said he told 7 people all from the club. Can only hope that all goes well from here on.

Came as a real shock when I heard.

Certainly puts a lot of things from last year in a different light and shoves a whole lot of perspective on the situation.

He's a real warrior Tys, would have hoped he'd feel comfortable enough witht he club to hang it out there, but this is the sort of thing you really have to deal with your own way.

All the best to Tys, Mandy and the 3 future stars ;)

Probably goes in toe with his career actually, you just look back and go 'wow'.

McLeod must have pointed the bone at Edwards. :eek:

I hope you get carded you prick, that stuff isn't welcome here.

Wish we knew at the time. Feel guilty for my feelings on him when he left. Especially not seeing him in the final send off.

Hope he is welcome around the club a bit more now.

I was there and his farewell match was one of the few highlights of the year, probably only beaten by the Geelong game (which I was unable to attend due to being out of town). The atmosphere at the game was amazing and confirmed that on our day we could compete goal for goal with a quality team (Freo were second at the time). Everytime Tyson got his hands on the ball the crowd went nuts and so they should. Knowing what I know now it, it is probably one of his greatest efforts to play so well one last time!

I for one wish him all the best with whatever he wants to pursue.

I hope you get carded you prick, that stuff isn't welcome here.

I was there and his farewell match was one of the few highlights of the year, probably only beaten by the Geelong game (which I was unable to attend due to being out of town). The atmosphere at the game was amazing and confirmed that on our day we could compete goal for goal with a quality team (Freo were second at the time). Everytime Tyson got his hands on the ball the crowd went nuts and so they should. Knowing what I know now it, it is probably one of his greatest efforts to play so well one last time!

I for one wish him all the best with whatever he wants to pursue.

I was at his farewell game too, as most of us would have been. And yes it seems he did put in one last great (Mr Consistantcy:D) effort to say goodbye.

At the time we all assumed he "got the shits up" because he did not want to play at Westies. Pretty obvious now that he would have zero motivation to play at Westies. I wonder if after being dropped he explained what a final game means to him, and that was the point at which it was granted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

really sad to read he went through that in todays 'tiser' but glad he is ont he mend, what a true club legend, good to hear he is doing well now:thumbsu:

The so called dummy spit at the time seemed out of character. This puts it all in perspective.

Hopefully him coming forward now helps highlight the problem to others.

Good luck in your recovery.

I for one had no idea. It puts a whole new complexion on the events surrounding his departure. All of a sudden his retirement looks a lot more reasonable and a lot less like the dummy spit we all thought it was at the time. He knew that it was his last season and it must have been evident to him that he was never going to be able to both fight the cancer and train hard enough to get back into the team, so he pulled the plug instead. Fair enough.

I can also respect his decision not to make this public (until now). He obviously told Craig & Goodwin and a few others, but didn't make it known to the rest of his teammates. In other words, he did the right thing by the club without compromising his privacy. Such a classy individual, right to the very end. :thumbsu:

Good luck Zooma. Glad to hear it's in remission - hope it never returns.

In remission, so sounds positive :thumbsu:

Complete shock, sheds a completely new light on his drop in form from 2009 and eventual omission in 2010.

I wonder if this is the reason why it took Craig so long to drop him? Amazing news from Edwards, and great to hear he's in remission. Best of luck for the future.

I wonder if this is the reason why it took Craig so long to drop him? Amazing news from Edwards, and great to hear he's in remission. Best of luck for the future.

Thats plausible Jen but what confuses me then is why such the issue with him saying no to playing at SANFL level and then the heartache over saying yes to the final game. Obviously all very emotional and confusing times. THey would have been managing their code of conduct and strict expectations against an obviously very exceptional set of circumstances (which some of us have argued it was before knowing this news.. obviously now it's inarguablly exceptional). The human nature angle just needs to be given a little more credence at times I think.

My first thought after reading the article was what a brave decision to go it alone for the sake of his family which I'm sure he realised without the full knowledge of the circumstances some people would judge him very harshly.

He also had the choice of going public and then facing all the unwanted distractions associated with good intentioned "well wishers" while he had to negotiate a full schedule of treatment on top of preparing for an AFL season.

In the end devotion to his family made the choice simple.

My selfish inner Crows supporter mentality say's we were denied a very emotional retirement game and perhaps something to build camaraderie around. But that would have been using his misfortune to advance our own cause.

Tyson I always loved the way you played the game and now I have even more respect for you.

Always loved Tyson as a player, but I must admit to being disappointed at the way his exit from the game appeared. There must have been a lot of confusing thoughts, ideas, emotions going on. The club (and NC in particular) took a lot of flak over the issue - they perhaps deserve some credit as well for not letting even one small hint drop about such a personal matter.

Well, this news certainly explains a lot about Tyson last year. But it also raises a few questions. Anyone else find it strange that he commenced training a week after surgery?

"It drained me more than I thought it would," said the midfielder. "I probably didn't respect the whole thing enough and just how big a toll the surgery and after-effects would have on me.
"It was a huge effort for me to get out on the park each week when my body was still healing and recovering from the surgery, with my energy levels being so low."

What was his doctor's advice? What did the club medicos think? Was he receiving counselling? Was there any serious analysis of his physical, mental and emotional fitness to play league football?

At the end of 2009, I would have backed TE to be the oldie who could kick on for a couple of seasons. There was something Bradley-esque about his durability and consistency from week to week. I found his disastrous plummet in form out of tune with this, even knowing that, often, the end does come suddenly. I wonder if the situation hadn't been dealt with in what looks like a bit of 'she'll be right, mate' mode that Tyson couldn't have laid low for six months on the LTI list and then reappeared for the second half of the season? I wonder whether he might have been playing this year?

Well, this news certainly explains a lot about Tyson last year. But it also raises a few questions. Anyone else find it strange that he commenced training a week after surgery?

What was his doctor's advice? What did the club medicos think? Was he receiving counselling? Was there any serious analysis of his physical, mental and emotional fitness to play league football?

At the end of 2009, I would have backed TE to be the oldie who could kick on for a couple of seasons. There was something Bradley-esque about his durability and consistency from week to week. I found his disastrous plummet in form out of tune with this, even knowing that, often, the end does come suddenly. I wonder if the situation hadn't been dealt with in what looks like a bit of 'she'll be right, mate' mode that Tyson couldn't have laid low for six months on the LTI list and then reappeared for the second half of the season? I wonder whether he might have been playing this year?
I think the veterans all knew that 2010 was going to be their last year, though I know what you mean about Edwards' durability.

Putting himself on the LTI list would have forced him (and/or the club) to make his battle public, which is what he was seeking to avoid. We had plenty of LTI options anyway, it's not like we were lacking in opportunities to play our rookie listed kids in 2010 even without him going on the list. I'd imagine that this decision was taken in conjunction with the club.

Besides, he was dropped after R9, missed R10 and played his farewell game in R11. That left him 12 weeks (factoring in the bye) to be fit again if he wanted to come off the LTI list. That's 3 months, not 6 months. He just couldn't see that happening, so he called it a day. Good decision from a classy player who always had the club at heart.

My selfish inner Crows supporter mentality say's we were denied a very emotional retirement game and perhaps something to build camaraderie around. But that would have been using his misfortune to advance our own cause.

We were NOT denied that at all. I was there - it was fantastic.

Fantastic for those who didn't judge him too harshly at the time I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back