Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 157 82.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like the Dees have saved us from ourselves 2 years running...
I think you're wrong on that score, I think it's way more likely we backed out of the interest now than Melbourne saved anything.

I think you're wrong on that score, I think it's way more likely we backed out of the interest now than Melbourne saved anything.
Why would the Dees look to re-sign him 18 months before his contract was up...

Why would the Dees look to re-sign him 18 months before his contract was up...
Because he's indicated he's ready to re-sign and obviously they rate him....no doubt because we've lost interest so that option was no longer available to Petty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was wrong and very happy to say so

I thought we would still sell the farm
I was wrong in that I thought Petty would be a good pick up and rated him

Whoopsies

Is putting together an historically awful season.

Bullet dodged.

What line is he coaching at the Giants?
Seems to have varied coaching experience - currently backline

The GIANTS’ backline coach, Montgomery provides a wealth of coaching experience to the club, having worked at Carlton, the Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide over 13 years as an assistant coach.

Montgomery also briefly worked with the GIANTS in 2018 as an opposition analyst.

Edit one - Bulldogs was forward coach Montgomery will take responsibility for the Bulldogs forward line next year and says that he will relish the challenge

Edit two -
At the end of the 2018 season, Montgomery was offered an assistant coaching role at Port where he looked after the defensive group.

With a reshuffle to the coaching structure at the end of the 2021 season, Brett Montgomery took over the Midfield Assistant coaching role.

Sounds like he is our most likely new Snr Assistant, would love to get either Dew, Rutten or Teague in also.

2️⃣

Last edited:
Looks like the Dees have saved us from ourselves 2 years running...
Nah. It's quite clear, and on record, that we signalled that we were no longer interested in him much earlier this year. This is the confirmatioon and natural consequence. His salary will have taken a drop too.

Yep... My recollection is there was an article that the AFL vetoed a trade scenario to St Kilda that included a higher salary for Brad based on Crows taking another player purely for Saints salary relief. The likely outcome being a higher band compensation. Something of which they allowed the following year ie Suns/Cats. I can only imagine it was to stop the media drama and nothing to do with the actual trade per se.

I don't think it's exactly apples and apples though. With the Bowes salary dump, the entirety of the deal was contained within the one trade and the winner/loser both existed within the deal. What we were looking to do was to do a separate that increased the compensation provided by a party not part of the trade deal. Full points for trying, but I can understand why the AFL kyboshed it. What I can't understand is if they allow salary dumps like the Bowes deal, why won't they allow straight up purchasing of cap space with draft picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back