Tyson Edwards battled cancer last season

Remove this Banner Ad

But Craigy wasn't wrong anyway!?! He needed to be dropped - there is no WAY, and Tyson essentially agrees with this - he could have played out the season at anything close to an acceptable level of football. He desperately needed to rest and recover his mojo. In retrospect (his words from memory) If he'd done it up front he may have been able to play in the later part of the year. What an ignorant question to ask.

What was abysmall was how his removal from the team was handled.

He was on Today Tonight as well?! It's a media blitz.

For the benefit of those of us who didn't see/hear the interviews, was there anything of substance about how other men can benefit from his experience with cancer? Or was it all about presenting his version of last year?

I don't really agree with that. The AFL is a business, and the business is about getting results. When we were 2-6, we were still a shot at making finals. It was going to be a hard slog, and a lot of people wrote us off, but we did go pretty close. For Tyson to say that by that stage we were done, and that his personal needs should've taken precedence to "getting results", doesn't sit right with me.
I know the old "He's a 300 gamer, he deserved it" argument will keep coming up, but how did our other 300 gamers go out? Benny Hart was told at the end of a season "Don't come monday." Roo went out in a heartbreaker. McLeod went out in an injury cloud. It just all, and still does, seem a bit selfish to me.

Yes. Agree totally. In 1995, Brisbane was 4-11 after 15 rounds and made the finals.

Something doesn't seem right about all this and especially that it is coming out now - the week before the AFL season starts.

Can someone answer the simple question - why now?

I don't think players deserve farewell games for the sake of farewell games. Though Tyson performed well in his farewell game, his only good performance of the year mind you.

I have some sympathy for Neil Craig here.

It is obviously a difficult situation for all involved. But as callous as it sounds, I reckon you either have time away from the game to recover with the full support of the club OR you put yourself forward to play, with no concessions made.

Neil's top four season was going up in smoke remember. How Tyson was feeling and managing farewell games would have been the furtherest thing from his mind.

I have some sympathy for Neil Craig here.

It is obviously a difficult situation for all involved. But as callous as it sounds, I reckon you either have time away from the game to recover with the full support of the club OR you put yourself forward to play, with no concessions made.

Neil's top four season was going up in smoke remember. How Tyson was feeling and managing farewell games would have been the furtherest thing from his mind.

Totally agree, my issue is with the football department in general here for their handling of the issue.

The fact that we are still debating it 6 months after the fact is proof enough that something about this situation is somewhat on the nose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tyson Edwards battled cancer last season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back