u19 section 1

Remove this Banner Ad

As a long-time reader, first time-poster, I'd be interested to know people's thoughts on the following:

1. Are DLS and Xavs certs to play-off on GF day?
2. Will the Woodsmen turn their midseason slump around and play finals?
3. And who'll drop out if they do?
3. Are both The Yulers & The Violet Crumbles going to get 2K kicked against them come season's end?

Interesting to note that the Yuler up on report has escaped sanction by the tribunal on Tuesday. Good on him I say - there's not too many who dodge the VAFA firing squad.

the woodsmen are nothing, they are not a top 4 side!!! Xavier and De la are clearly the best two sides in the comp. Uni Blues and Berndars could put up a fight on their day but the odds would have to be very short for a Xav V De La granny.

Saw today Mercuri is playing 19's for Xavs (or is injured) and that murphy, dixon and keogh are all named for SKOB ones...... could be a very scary result for the kevinians unless they have improved ten fold!!

Looks like most other sides have the "regulars" returning to seniors this week after the bye.

Anyone know what the reports from the Rupo v Marcellin game was for?

Cfc05 your opinion is valid and it is yours to put forward, but Rupo are still right in the finals hunt. They beat St.Bernards last time (not sure if the dogs had outs) and were fairly competitive agains DeLa a few weeks back.
I am looking forward to seeing the way the year pans out, regardless of where our unders finish up.
Bell ringer having seen the amount of players Banyule lost to their seniors and judging by the way Collegians season is going I'd say they are a fair chance. It is unfortunate but the way it goes when a side dominates at top age then falters while the younger players get used to higher grade footy.

Dudley Hamstrung said:
Anyone know what the reports from the Rupo v Marcellin game was for?

The eagles were easily beaten (90),one of their big men copping 2 for a love tap to the bread basket of one of the woodsmen.

It looks like the eagles have given up after losing their points to the Ulers for an unreg player.

The next 3 weeks:
Bernards v. Rupo
Bernards v. Xavs, Rupertswood v. Banyule
Bernards v. De La, Rupertswood v. Xavs.

I reckon that bernards might get over the line against rupo, then fall short in the following two, leaving them 10-8 for the season.
Rupo, on the other hand, will almost certainly get the win against banyule but not sure they will match it with bernards and probably not against xavs either; leaving them on 10-8 also.

So unless rupo beats bernards this week, looks to be a percentage decider for the final spot in the 4... If so, bernards to take that spot.

In short, i agree. A bernards win should see them through on percentage, a rupo win should see them through on points. Get down to Ascot Vale (not the snakepit? bernards certinaly could have used that advantage..) if you can, it's sure to be a cracker!

Having said that De La v. Uni certainly looks as much as, if not more so, the game to watch for the round. The added importance of deciding finals places aside, from what i've seen this game would be one to watch if anyone is purely after a great game.

interesting to see what happens this week. i know that bernards have half a dozen in the ones atm so i wonder if the club is more worried bout playing under 19 finals or staying clear of the relegation zone in the seniors.

also doesnt the tac cup have a bye round this weekend that could also cause other problems with many teams getting players back.

Word has it that bernards to drop six back from seniors to meet rupo any truth to this? In my opion they will need it, rupo were to good last time too fast. and with a big ground will run em ragged. but interesting to see the line ups some inclucions no doubt. :thumbsu:

just like to say JOHN that last time these two teams met, bernards had no where near there best 18 in. im not trying to make excuses for last time but if bernards play anywhere near there best i think they will be to strong for rupo. rupo did play very well last time but if they r to show up with the same team again they are goin to have to play extremely well to win the game. is there any major changes to the rupo team for this weekend.

should be a vey good game and can say to those who r reading this to try and come down and watch the game.

bernards to good on the day. a brilliant first quater 12 goals. had rupo chasing that margin all day. bernards stocks were bolsted by a number of inclusions but that was no excuse for the first quater not saying rupo were bad they werent great but the first quater from bernards was some of best footy i have seen. Not sure if they will make an impact come finals as it is highly unlikely they can field that side come september. But if they can continue that form from the weekend they could cause an upset or two.

johnfromtheVAFA said:
bernards to good on the day. a brilliant first quater 12 goals. had rupo chasing that margin all day. bernards stocks were bolsted by a number of inclusions but that was no excuse for the first quater not saying rupo were bad they werent great but the first quater from bernards was some of best footy i have seen. Not sure if they will make an impact come finals as it is highly unlikely they can field that side come september. But if they can continue that form from the weekend they could cause an upset or two.

why do you beleive that they arent going to be able to field the team they played on saturday in september.

johnfromtheVAFA said:
On what grounds do you know that St.Bernards cant field that side come september? The senior team are not in the finals making more under 19's who are playing up available and therefor making them even stronger then last weekends performance. St.Bernards will field their strongest teams in the upcoming weeks and will have a massive impact on the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks as though the rupo train may have been de-railed.Seems like both bernies & them will end up with equal points at the end of the season, meaning that they will have to make up at least 23% to grab the last finals spot... doesn't look too likely unless:Bernies get smashed both weeks;Rupo hold xavs to much less than 107pts this time (assuming xavs win) & comprehensively win next round.I ask, though, is it for any point? Seems to be pretty clearly a two horse race this time 'round...Either way, makes for some great fighting footy in the last couple of rounds, with some big clashes to definately have a look at.

Many of the posters have said they think the finals is a 'two horse race'... Indeed there are only two teams that have a chance of winning, although one of those teams is many lengths ahead. When De La played Xavs round two, Xavs were missing a couple of VERY important members their starting 18 and when they had them back for the second clash, it was a ten goal victory. I hope for the sake of spectating that De La can put up a fight come finals but the Xavs are a genuine quality outfit and I can't see them being stretched at all. Also Footy Nerd where were you on that team of the half year? Couldn't produce - shocking form by you.

With a top 4 in u19 sec 1 it will never be a two horse race. Although the top 2 this year in DeLa and X's have been a street in front of the rest, any combination of injuries, promotion to 1's, nerves or even un-expected opposition moves could cause an upset. One thing we all know as footy fans/players is that finals aren't 'just another game'. The intensity and pressure is at a far greater level.

St.Kev's Cowboy said:
With a top 4 in u19 sec 1 it will never be a two horse race. Although the top 2 this year in DeLa and X's have been a street in front of the rest, any combination of injuries, promotion to 1's, nerves or even un-expected opposition moves could cause an upset. One thing we all know as footy fans/players is that finals aren't 'just another game'. The intensity and pressure is at a far greater level.
I agree with u mate finals footy is a totally different brand of football. yes, i wont go past xavs and de la as being the ones to beat but they have been high on confidence all year and the question is can they be cool under pressure wen it comes down to the wire. blues and bernards have nothing to lose so it looks set for a good finals series to cap of the season.

What the hell has gone wrong with Old Scotch over the last two weeks?!? I know they weren't a serious finals chance but two loses by a combined total of 412 points is ridiculous! Does anyone have an answer for these pathetic performances?

u19 red fan said:
heard that a bloke called Paul "Milney" Flegletaub stared for xavs 2's team and is pushing for their ones team!!
Where'd you hear this U19 red fan? Because i've heard it mentioned a few times the last couple of days, who is he and what kind of player is he?

All i've heard is that he is easy on the eye and kicked one of the best goals in VAFA history on the weekend.

m.diddy, he is a bloke who has just cruised through his junior footy without really putting in the hard yards but of recent weeks has just turned it on. Only seen him play a couple of times as he only plays when he wants to, on his terms, and i can confirm that his goal last week was the best the VAFA has seen. Would be a more than handy inclusion in the xavs 1's come finals, just dont know if they would have a jumper to fit his guns in!

u19 red fan said:
m.diddy, he is a bloke who has just cruised through his junior footy without really putting in the hard yards but of recent weeks has just turned it on. Only seen him play a couple of times as he only plays when he wants to, on his terms, and i can confirm that his goal last week was the best the VAFA has seen. Would be a more than handy inclusion in the xavs 1's come finals, just dont know if they would have a jumper to fit his guns in!
Sounds like Old xavs may have this premiership in the bag then with this boost.

Must be coached well down in the two's?

u better believe it m.diddy, just curious u wouldn't happen to know this "millney" bloke would u because that would be pretty special considering how his stature is growing in ammos? and woulnt know about the xavs 2's coaching havent seen much of them this year, i just follow good players such as Flegletaub!

Remove this Banner Ad

u19 section 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back