UFC 112: Invincible

Remove this Banner Ad

May 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Airs live from Abu Dhabi at 3AM EST on Saturday morning. It's the first UFC card to be held outdoors as well.

Main card
Middleweight Championship bout: Anderson Silva vs Demian Maia - for Maia to win he needs to not only get Silva down but get him down and wind up in an advantageous position like side control, if he ends up in Silva's guard Anderson will just look to neutralise him with a body triangle and wait for a chance to get back to his feet, and Maia's got to do all of this without getting knocked out in the process, Anderson to stop him in the second round
Lightweight Championship bout: BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar - Edgar might have a real chance if he was a bit bigger, but he's too small to really challenge BJ here, Penn to take it by TKO in the third
Welterweight bout: Matt Hughes vs Renzo Gracie - won't be as one-sided as Hughes/Royce was but I can't see Renzo stopping Hughes from taking him down, Hughes by decision
Lightweight bout: Terry Etim vs Rafael dos Anjos - Etim by TKO
Middleweight bout: Kendall Grove vs Mark Munoz - Munoz, hopefully, I'd be more than fine if I never saw Grove fight again

Prelims
Light Heavyweight bout: Alexander Gustafsson vs Phil Davis - Davis by TKO
Welterweight bout: Paul Taylor vs John Gunderson - decision
Welterweight bout: Nick Osipczak vs Rick Story - TKO
Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs Brad Blackburn - not sure on this one, leaning towards Blackburn by decision though
Lightweight bout: Paul Kelly vs Matt Veach - decision
Heavyweight bout: Jon Madsen vs Mostapha Al-Turk - decision

Main card
Middleweight Championship bout: Anderson Silva vs Demian Maia - This could get ugly. Anderson to play with Maia on the feet and entertain the locals for one round, then KO in the 2nd.
Lightweight Championship bout: BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar - Wouldn't it be great if Frankie beat BJ to shake up the division? Can't see it happening though. BJ to submit Frankie in the 3rd.
Welterweight bout: Matt Hughes vs Renzo Gracie - I hate to pick Hughes but Renzo's been out of the game for a while. I'll go crazy if Renzo wins but I've got Hughes to squash him for 3 rounds and get a decision like he did to Serra.
Lightweight bout: Terry Etim vs Rafael dos Anjos - Etim by TKO
Middleweight bout: Kendall Grove vs Mark Munoz - The Filipino Wrecking Machine to end Grove's night with brutal ground and pound.

Prelims
Light Heavyweight bout: Alexander Gustafsson vs Phil Davis - Davis has some nice grappling for a wrestler and should get the sub.
Welterweight bout: Paul Taylor vs John Gunderson - decision
Welterweight bout: Nick Osipczak vs Rick Story - TKO
Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs Brad Blackburn - Don't like DaMarques at all but he's shown improvement in his last couple of fights and should get a sub.
Lightweight bout: Paul Kelly vs Matt Veach - No idea, Veach by TKO
Heavyweight bout: Jon Madsen vs Mostapha Al-Turk - Poor Mostapha couldn't make it to a free win against Rolles Gracie last time. Unfortunately he'll be stopped by TKO in this fight.

Really excited for this event. Not just the fights, but also to see the stadium and Yas Island. I've been following the videos on bjpenn.com and the whole place looks amazing. World's fastest rollercoaster and Ferrari World!

[youtube]-HrQV66SIUo[/youtube]

Main card
Middleweight Championship bout: Anderson Silva vs Demian Maia - I can't see it going past the first round. I think Silva can survive on the ground (not for long though) but I don't think it'll get there. Maia has to immediately take it to the ground or he will get destroyed. TKO round 1.
Lightweight Championship bout: BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar - Should be pretty similar to the Sanchez fight, except this time I think BJ finishes. TKO or sub round 3.
Welterweight bout: Matt Hughes vs Renzo Gracie - I think Renzo has about as much chance as Maia and Edgar. Hughes is an excellent grappler and he'll be too strong of a wrestler for Renzo. Decision
Lightweight bout: Terry Etim vs Rafael dos Anjos - Toss of a coin. Etim has impressed me more, decision.
Middleweight bout: Kendall Grove vs Mark Munoz - Grove should win this. He's good off his back, where he will probably end up, so a sub is possible. I like Munoz though so I'm not sure. I'll say Grove submits in the 2nd.

Prelims
Light Heavyweight bout: Alexander Gustafsson vs Phil Davis - Two up and comers and again, I hate when they have to fight so soon. Davis' athleticism is ridiculous and he looks solid everywhere. Davis TKO in the third.
Welterweight bout: Paul Taylor vs John Gunderson - Meh. Neither will get past this level but it should be a good fight.
Welterweight bout: Nick Osipczak vs Rick Story - I like Osipczak, I hope he goes further.
Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs Brad Blackburn - Decent fight, Johnson should win.
Lightweight bout: Paul Kelly vs Matt Veach - decision
Heavyweight bout: Jon Madsen vs Mostapha Al-Turk - Jeez, what's the point of this one? Al-Turk sub in 2nd.

Good name event, but I think the three headliners are very one-sided. Should be good to see an outdoor event though.

I was listening to Dave Meltzer talk about this card and it sounded like most of these matches are foregone conclusions.

How often are there upsets in the UFC?

Main card
Middleweight Championship bout: Anderson Silva vs Demian Maia - How long this fight goes depends on how long Anderson wants it to. Am a fan of Maia, but can't see him being effective against Anderson at all. Anderson will likely show him respect early, but should finish him late in the first.
Lightweight Championship bout: BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar - Frankie's one of my favorites at 155, but there's nobody in the UFC that can match Penn at this weight. I expect him to give a good account of himself, but will eventually get hurt by Penn's heavy hands and submitted, likely in the 4th.
Welterweight bout: Matt Hughes vs Renzo Gracie - Hughes by decision. I think he'll play this one pretty safe and control Renzo for the 3 rounds in what will likely be a boring fight.
Lightweight bout: Terry Etim vs Rafael dos Anjos - Dos Anjos has looked good in his last couple of fights and while I'm a big fan of Terry's, I think he gets caught with a sub in the second.
Middleweight bout: Kendall Grove vs Mark Munoz - I'm no fan of Grove's, but I think he finishes this fight one way or another after some anxious moments on his back. Sub in the second I'm thinking.

Prelims
Light Heavyweight bout: Alexander Gustafsson vs Phil Davis - Davis to play it safe and take a decision I'm thinking. Hopefully this one makes the broadcast so we can get another look at Gustafsson as he appeared impressive in the 40 odd seconds his last fight went for.
Welterweight bout: Paul Taylor vs John Gunderson - Taylor by TKO. Gunderson is tough, but his strength is on the feet and that doesn't bode well for most people going against Taylor. Provided he makes the cut well, I see Taylor getting the stoppage in the 2nd.
Welterweight bout: Nick Osipczak vs Rick Story - Like both of these guys as prospects, but think Story's superior wrestling will get him the victory here. Osipczak is tough though, so I think he'll last the 3 round distance.
Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs Brad Blackburn - Didn't like DeMarques on TUF 9, but was very impressed with his fight against Garcia at 107. I think Johnson will catch him with a sub in the 3rd in a competetive fight.
Lightweight bout: Paul Kelly vs Matt Veach - Veach by dominant wrestling.
Heavyweight bout: Jon Madsen vs Mostapha Al-Turk - Madsen via dull decision. Al-Turk's had a rough time of it in his short UFC career so I'd like to see him win, but can't see him negating Madsen's wrestling.

I was listening to Dave Meltzer talk about this card and it sounded like most of these matches are foregone conclusions.

How often are there upsets in the UFC?

Upsets happen regularly in the UFC, but normally the main event fights are predictable. Don't see any big upsets on this card Anderson Silva and BJ Penn are just too dominant.

Renzo is probably the best chance of causing an upset on this card.

Upsets happen regularly in the UFC, but normally the main event fights are predictable. Don't see any big upsets on this card Anderson Silva and BJ Penn are just too dominant.

Renzo is probably the best chance of causing an upset on this card.
What he said...

Cannot see Anderson Silva doing anything other than knocking Maia, I don't think it will get past the first.

Same as RR except, I'm tipping Dos Anjos.
(and I'm tipping Al Turk, but I think RR highlighted the wrong guy)

Oh and Robby, BJ did finish Sanchez, the fight was stopped due the cut he suffered
Yep I meant to go Al Turk. I forgot about the cut, but I don't think the doctor will get a chance to save Edgar.

I'm getting myself really confused with all the daylight savings in the northern hemisphere. What time will this be on here in Perth?! Anyone..?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man, what the **** was that?

That card went to shit after the Davis fight aired. Hughes and Gracie had an embarrassing fight and yet it wasn't even the worst ****ing fight on the card. Between those two fights and BJ losing (I can understand Edgar winning, but somebody gave him all five rounds!) I'm actually angry after watching a UFC card for probably the first time ever. They didn't even read the scores of the Silva/Maia fight, which is strange as Maia actually won the last two rounds just because Anderson did nothing at all.

At least Dana is going to completely flip his lid at the presser and that's always awesome to see. He already went off at Ed Soares before the last round and simply handed Soares the belt afterwards instead of putting it around Anderson's waist.

The Grove/Munoz fight was seriously good to watch and Etim and dos Anjos was a pretty solid fight too. Penn and Edgar was a close-fought technical fight but nothing exciting to watch.

Just saw the fight, man what a shocking main card that was considering the names on there. A. Silva lost alot of respect for me after that fight, this is what Silva said in the press conference, Anderson: "Unfortunately, not every fight turned out the way everyone would like. Demian disrespected me, not as a person, but as a fighter". Can a person be more delusional and hypocritical than that? I was surprised Maia even shook his hand after that display. The only saving grace was the Grove vs Munos fight.

just watched the presser, Dana looks like he wants to f**k Silva up!

Admittedly I missed the bout cos I completely f**ked up the timings, but sounds like an absolute disgrace. Does anybody have a good replay stream?!

That was a weird event.

Hughes/Renzo looked like a sparring session, was Hughes afraid of hurting Renzo?

Penn/Edgar. Urgh. Don't remember that last time I saw someone as great as BJ look so bad. I'd like to re-watch it, but as I saw it live I thought Frankie didn't do enough to take BJ's belt. I have no idea what blind fool gave it 50-45 Edgar, that's just unbelievable.

Silva was entertaining me for the first 2 rounds after the terrible BJ/Frankie fight. Clearly he has zero respect for Maia as a fighter and was that far ahead of him that he could land anything at will and play air guitar at the same time. But then he gave up and just seemed content to win a lop-sided decision. He clowned Forrest, and he clowned Maia, let's get him a real fight now.

I thought the card was good except for Anderson Silva. Like everyone, I don't understand why he wouldn't finish Maia but instead chose to run around like an idiot. Not much point venting or discussing it here because everyone feels the same way.

Munoz vs Grove was a great fight. Munoz needs to work on setting up his takedowns better because you can see them coming an hour before he shoots. He'll get better at this and will soon be a force to be reckoned with, especially his brutal ground and pound.

Dos Anjos showed some very good bjj.

Hughes vs Gracie went as expected. It was nice to see the respect between two of the sports great veterans but Hughes was too good in the end.

Great performance by Frankie. The fight was very close and could've gone either way. I would've given BJ the first, rounds 2 & 3 were a coin toss and rounds 4 & 5 to Frankie. I think the judge who scored it 50-45 is copping too much shit. Every round was close enough that they could've gone either way. It's not like BJ clearly dominated Frankie in any of the rounds.

Anyway Frankie had the correct gameplan and pulled it off. Watch the 2 fighters waiting for Buffer to announce the winner at the end. Frankie is pumped and all smiles while BJ's expression says that he knew he'd lost the fight and you can't argue with that.

Dana's almost in tears at the end of the first video.
"He doesn't deserve to fight GSP"

[youtube]0qb5xo5LKhU[/youtube]

[youtube]vh8n-fFTXC4[/youtube]

Yeah, the UFC branded #1 p4p was a disgrace. If that's #1 p4p, I'll eat my hat.

Yeah he's got skills, amazing skills, yes he's much better than Maia overall, but to be STANDING for 25 minutes, in his realm toe to toe with a guy that has basically ZERO standup skills and for you to be "the best fighter on the planet", but to NOT finish him, well is nothing short of pathetic. I totally agree with Dana, he doesn't deserve to fight GSP.

Ahh well, that's what happens when hype backfires.

BJ and Edgar was a very close fight. I gave the first two rounds to Penn and the last 2 to Edgar, and the middle was a toss up. If I scored the fight 'overall' ala Pride, (how I think fights should be scored in MMA) I'd have have given the fight to Edgar as he 'took over' the fight as it progressed.

BJ also looked like a beaten man at the end. Not the best performance by BJ, but everyone has mediocre days (for BJ), and Edgar was fantastic.

Dos Anjos performed as I expected him to, he's a great fighter. Like to see him vs Pellegrino next.

I'd really love the UFC to bring Fedor in, and for Anderson to fight him. There'd be no 'clowning' in that fight, that's for sure.

Very strange event, looking forward to Strikeforce next week.

Silva is a ****ing clown who consistently let's everyone down including himself. 3 of his last 4 fights have been complete wank and this latest showing was by far the worst. The disrespect he showed DM was appalling and the way he expected him to just walk into his punches (and then started to get really shitty when he wouldn't) when he himself was unwilling to fight in Maia's strongest position was hypocritical and cowardly. He's a brilliant fighter, but he's a massive tool and I hope Vitor get's him next and rips his ****ing head off.

Yeah, the UFC branded #1 p4p was a disgrace. If that's #1 p4p, I'll eat my hat.

Yeah he's got skills, amazing skills, yes he's much better than Maia overall, but to be STANDING for 25 minutes, in his realm toe to toe with a guy that has basically ZERO standup skills and for you to be "the best fighter on the planet", but to NOT finish him, well is nothing short of pathetic. I totally agree with Dana, he doesn't deserve to fight GSP.

Ahh well, that's what happens when hype backfires.

BJ and Edgar was a very close fight. I gave the first two rounds to Penn and the last 2 to Edgar, and the middle was a toss up. If I scored the fight 'overall' ala Pride, (how I think fights should be scored in MMA) I'd have have given the fight to Edgar as he 'took over' the fight as it progressed.

BJ also looked like a beaten man at the end. Not the best performance by BJ, but everyone has mediocre days (for BJ), and Edgar was fantastic.

Dos Anjos performed as I expected him to, he's a great fighter. Like to see him vs Pellegrino next.

I'd really love the UFC to bring Fedor in, and for Anderson to fight him. There'd be no 'clowning' in that fight, that's for sure.

Very strange event, looking forward to Strikeforce next week.

Became a fan of Dos Anjos in two of his losses (against Stephens and Griffin) and have pretty high hopes for him at 155. His stand up is constantly improving and his ground game is top notch. Etim's no slouch on the ground and he was able to easily overwhelm him. Personally, I'd like to see him in with Nate Diaz next if he's moving back to 155. Similar type of fighters who would likely produce fireworks.

Don't know what happened to Anderson yesterday and I'm as pissed off as anyone with his antics, but I don't think it speaks negatively of his pound for pound ranking. He literally toyed with a top 5 UFC middleweight and could have finished him whenever he wanted in the first two rounds. Rogan brought up the Ali fight against Terrell where he carried him for 12 rounds after he was disrespected and that type of performance may have been what he was going for. Hopefully he's punished for that performance though as it's disrespectful as hell to do that to any fighter, let alone one like Maia who's been a class act in his time in the UFC.

He clowned Forrest, and he clowned Maia, let's get him a real fight now.

The UFC has to take some blame for this. Silva is fighting across two divisions and they still give him easy fights like this and Cote.

The Henderson fight was great, and they should have had a rematch.

If there is no other talent at middleweight, the work around it.

They could have matched him against Evans or Rampage rather than Forrest.

They could have convinced some of the up and coming light heavyheights to step down to middlweight before they get too bulky.

They could have organised a GSP catch weight super fight.

The UFC can't expect Silva to smash his opponents heads win if they are out of their depth. He's not that brutal. He's an artist. Give him the opponents he deserves or let him leave the UFC.

I almost thought this was Anderson's version of a **** you to Dana for giving him Maia to fight.

It was like a cat toying with a mouse and I think Anderson wanted to show everyone just how superior a fighter he was... and piss off Dana in the process. Absolutely disrespectful and irresponsible act though given the money punters fork out for PPVs like this.

If Dana wants to stop this sort of clowning around he needs to either line up much more challenging fights for Anderson or show him the door.

Great fight by Edgar... he was buzzing around BJ all night like a blow fly on meth, fantastic boxing display and deserving champion.

Rematch should be good, maybe BJ will attempt a takedown in that fight.

Remove this Banner Ad

UFC 112: Invincible

Remove this Banner Ad

Back