Umpiring

Are they?

• Yes

Votes: 52 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • They will until this group has officially been broken, Hardwick aint Coach and Gale isn't CEO

Votes: 36 34.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As a spectacle its become Myopic!
And as a sporting spectacle the game has turned to rubbish!
It has now become an insult to the intelligence of the average AFL supporter!
Try explaining the AFL rules to an overseas visitor...HAHAHHAHHAAHAHAAHAaaaaa good luck!

Four Maggotts adjudicating the game....what for?!? Why not get the boundary umpires involved in the game as well for all the good it does!
Stand...only means stand when I pay the penalty against!
It's only a throw when I pay the penalty against!
Incorrect disposal is only an incorrect disposal when I choose to pay the penalty against!

Who was the Hawks player who bounced the ball then ran nearly thirty metres without bouncing it again, with an umpire running beside him before kicking it the other day? I bet the umpire said, "I'm glad you kicked it, I couldn't have run any further!". It's just hard to fathom how stupid they are.

The TV corporates are not happy about paying such a large sum for a game that now has no hard fast rules and neither makes sense on a consistent basis!
To a TV watcher the game makes no consistent sense...
And the game would be a SPUD to sell overseas...
Time for some smart changes...
Sort of hope so. At times it was ridiculous. A player is right on the ball and slows down to let it go out = deliberate. Is this a new rule?
One handed handballs (both teams) is OK. But the odd one is paid.
JR8 getting manhandled. But that is Jack, so you expect it.

It all means often I have no idea why things are happening. To someone new to the game it must be confusing, and people who know the game can't help them. Cause we don't know!

It's getting to such an extent that it hurts the watchability. And if that starts to impact rating then things will get cleaned up. ... maybe

Absolutely livid watching the game on the weekend. Wtf does Jack have to do to get a free kick. Multiple blatant pushes and holds against him not paid and then a slight touch in Sicilys back who takes a dive and it's a free kick. Actually wanted to smash the TV. The worst 2 (we all know which 2 incidents) are some of the worst non decisions I've seen.

Its simply time for unbiased rule changes that isnt determined by the umpire interpertation.
  • last person to touch ball going out of bounds - removes any intent the umpire has to work out on their own
  • simply if you get caught with ball free kick - no more swinging the blokes around in circles 3 times or "tried to get rid of it" business; no more prior opportunity! simply if you get the ball and get caught and dont get rid of it straight away - holding the ball!
  • get rid of stand rule, this has done nothing but frustrate players and fans and doesnt look great for watching, blokes on marks bent over like netballers, doesnt look for a flow on game at all!

Its simply time for unbiased rule changes that isnt determined by the umpire interpertation.
  • last person to touch ball going out of bounds - removes any intent the umpire has to work out on their own NO
  • simply if you get caught with ball free kick - no more swinging the blokes around in circles 3 times or "tried to get rid of it" business; no more prior opportunity! simply if you get the ball and get caught and dont get rid of it straight away - holding the ball! NO
  • get rid of stand rule, this has done nothing but frustrate players and fans and doesnt look great for watching, blokes on marks bent over like netballers, doesnt look for a flow on game at all! YES

• Last Touch -is a terrible look and rule IMO, you will have players purposely leave it to take the free (the bad look when they hope they get Insufficient attempt)... Or even worse, like basketball, players will try and handball into other players to win the free kick. It's against the spirit of the game IMO.A softer approach on the current rule wouldn't be too bad IMO... like soccering off the ground to get the ball forward is not Insufficient Intent.
  • Again, players won't look to win the ball, rather sit back, let someone get it, tackle them and take the free. They just need to simplify the current HTB ball rule down to three simple steps"
  1. Umpire blows his whistle after a tackle NO LONGER than 3 seconds (every tackle, not let some linger on than others!!!) Simply and umpire sees a tackle, counts to 3 then blows their whistle
  2. Next thing for the ump is, Did the player have sufficient prior opportunity to dispose of the ball??? If Yes, go to step 3, if no = Ball Up
  3. Did the player dispose of it correctly... If NO = then HTB ... If Yes, well the umpire shouldn't have blown his whistle = Play On
  • Yes, get rid of the stand rule, it's terrible for the game.
  • Also get rid of the ruck nomination as well... If they don't want 3rd man up, simply penalise a team if two of their players go up for the ruck, they are adults, let them work it out!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some free kick stats for key forwards this year: For / Against

Jack Riewoldt: 11 / 14

Tom Lynch: 2 / 8

Charlie Curnow: 29 / 11

Harry McKay: 26 / 13

Like wtf is that.

• Last Touch -is a terrible look and rule IMO, you will have players purposely leave it to take the free (the bad look when they hope they get Insufficient attempt)... Or even worse, like basketball, players will try and handball into other players to win the free kick. It's against the spirit of the game IMO.A softer approach on the current rule wouldn't be too bad IMO... like soccering off the ground to get the ball forward is not Insufficient Intent.
  • Again, players won't look to win the ball, rather sit back, let someone get it, tackle them and take the free. They just need to simplify the current HTB ball rule down to three simple steps"
  1. Umpire blows his whistle after a tackle NO LONGER than 3 seconds (every tackle, not let some linger on than others!!!) Simply and umpire sees a tackle, counts to 3 then blows their whistle
  2. Next thing for the ump is, Did the player have sufficient prior opportunity to dispose of the ball??? If Yes, go to step 3, if no = Ball Up
  3. Did the player dispose of it correctly... If NO = then HTB ... If Yes, well the umpire shouldn't have blown his whistle = Play On
  • Yes, get rid of the stand rule, it's terrible for the game.
  • Also get rid of the ruck nomination as well... If they don't want 3rd man up, simply penalise a team if two of their players go up for the ruck, they are adults, let them work it out!
Last touch - i think you missed my point! I think it will add to the look simply because teams are going to want to keep the ball alive and moving! its simpler to adjudicate hence no biased opinions which was the main point of my post! team are going to want to keep it away from the boundary if anything! and kill it to the boundary knowing there will be time to set-up defence.

Holding the ball - yes i admit there will be some flaws but if it makes it a black and white decision with no grey area then makes life for umpires easier and takes away their interpretive biased calls. also it will encourage players to knock the ball into the open rather than prey on players grabbing the ball. there will be more thinking about the way teams go about tactics but doesnt that make the game more interesting having the ball move around than being bogged down?

I was sitting next to two kiwis, watching their first ever game of AFL live. They were trying to understand the rules. Why was that a free kick? Why not that one then? In the end I had to laugh and explained that they are watching the wrong sport if they are hoping for consistency in the rulings.
But but but the game is going great guns overseas, people are falling in love with AFL nd ditching their codes according to Gilligan

That's what got me. They repeatedly replayed really bad decisions. Haven't seen that before.

Hopefully such completely obviously bad decisions means something will change.

nah broadcasters and the commentators will get told not to do the same next week

commentators were reading off the script this weekend, seriously 7 or 8 of them reeled out the "might as well just make it last touch" line and umps called some terrible ones intentionally. give it a fortnight and afl will say it's coming in for 2024

Last touch - i think you missed my point! I think it will add to the look simply because teams are going to want to keep the ball alive and moving! its simpler to adjudicate hence no biased opinions which was the main point of my post! team are going to want to keep it away from the boundary if anything! and kill it to the boundary knowing there will be time to set-up defence.

Holding the ball - yes i admit there will be some flaws but if it makes it a black and white decision with no grey area then makes life for umpires easier and takes away their interpretive biased calls. also it will encourage players to knock the ball into the open rather than prey on players grabbing the ball. there will be more thinking about the way teams go about tactics but doesnt that make the game more interesting having the ball move around than being bogged down?

Last touch. I was of the belieff that if it went close to your team mate you were ok. That seems to have gone by the wayside with those two on the southern fwd flank on Sat. So if you kick or handball over the line...free kick. That would be clear, but last touch brings all sorts of accidents and scams in to play so prefer not.

And holding the ball, I agree, if you get caught you are gone. I grew up knowing that and often would knock it on to avoid holding the ball, like everyone else.
BTW if the player has the ball he still must be tackled correctly. Stacks on is not a correct tackle. Playing for a stoppage must be penalised.

are there any Richmond supporting umpires ?

it seems most of em either support colonwood, the throwdogs, scats or hawks
Those in here that are 15-20s or so of age, need to become field umpires at lower levels. Then as soon as you tell the AFL your club or support.

Rejected Computer GIF

• last person to touch ball going out of bounds - removes any intent the umpire has to work out on their own
Definitely time to trial it properly, at least in the pre-season, and maybe for a whole season. The "deliberate/insufficient attempt(wtf?!)" thing is just a joke now - even the umps have no idea.

One caveat to the last touch free kick though - players taking the free kick cannot directly score a goal from the kick in.

Definitely time to trial it properly, at least in the pre-season, and maybe for a whole season. The "deliberate/insufficient attempt(wtf?!)" thing is just a joke now - even the umps have no idea.

One caveat to the last touch free kick though - players taking the free kick cannot directly score a goal from the kick in.

Just for anyone who's interested, here it is in action. 1996 Lightning Premiership v West Coast. Good fun little half game regardless but it's one of the rules they trialled for that comp. GhostofJimJess I didn't double check, I think the rule about not scoring a goal from the free is there but not sure.

Just for anyone who's interested, here it is in action. 1996 Lightning Premiership v West Coast. Good fun little half game regardless but it's one of the rules they trialled for that comp. GhostofJimJess I didn't double check, I think the rule about not scoring a goal from the free is there but not sure.

Nice Bob. I did have memories of it being trialed at one point but had no idea they included the caveat mentioned.

So much for being ahead of my time, I'm actually 27 years behind my time :D

Last touch. I was of the belieff that if it went close to your team mate you were ok. That seems to have gone by the wayside with those two on the southern fwd flank on Sat. So if you kick or handball over the line...free kick. That would be clear, but last touch brings all sorts of accidents and scams in to play so prefer not.
thats my point - you have umpires working out what the players intent is even with players in sight and thats why it needs to be black and white. we have umpires making decisions based on their biased subconscious opinions. either make it a steadfast rule or get rid of it totally - we have to get away from intent umpiring decisions!

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring

Back