Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Last week, the Crows/Collingwood game was almost unwatchable due to the shocking umpiring. Tonight, we have St Kilda with 23 frees to Adelaide's 8, in the 3rd Quarter, with commentators from every radio station completely confused and frustrated.

This isn't an Adelaide fan rant - we got a fair ride last week, and St Kilda should be easily ahead here - but are neutral games being ruined by the umpires for anyone else?

Last week, the Crows/Collingwood game was almost unwatchable due to the shocking umpiring. Tonight, we have St Kilda with 23 frees to Adelaide's 8, in the 3rd Quarter, with commentators from every radio station completely confused and frustrated.

This isn't an Adelaide fan rant - we got a fair ride last week, and St Kilda should be easily ahead here - but are neutral games being ruined by the umpires for anyone else?
I'm watching the game and baracking for the crows but I can't see the umpiring slanting in either direction.

I actually think the Collingwood fans had something to whine about last week...some craphouse decisions at crucial times...not so much the count but the timing killed them.

This week, no...umpiring has been fine.

Agree with the OP, tonights game there has been some real puzzling decisions...imo this game has been worse than the adelaide-collingwood game last week umpiring wise

I'm finding it difficult to watch even my own team's games now. I'm scared of where our game is going. I mean, I have been for a few years now with the umpires, but now it's just tipped over the edge from slightly dodgy to farcical.

The free kick count is irrelevant. Its whether or not they get it right and whether or not they are consistent. They are not that bad tonight but they are paying way too many 50 metre penatlies.

Over-umpired. These two sides don't need any help to produce a rubbish spectical, but god knows the little nerds are doing their best.

I'd love to punch McBurney in the throat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm finding it difficult to watch even my own team's games now. I'm scared of where our game is going. I mean, I have been for a few years now with the umpires, but now it's just tipped over the edge from slightly dodgy to farcical.

The umpiring and rule changes are putting me off too. I loved watching Melbourne Victory and I'm losing that feeling for AFL. Too many w***ers in the media and I find myself becoming more and more bemused by the umpiring.

The free kick count is irrelevant. Its whether or not they get it right and whether or not they are consistent. They are not that bad tonight but they are paying way too many 50 metre penatlies.

I agree that the free kick count is irrelevant to wether the umpires are doing a good job or not however some of the free-kick decisions have been absolutely baffling.

Ive lost all ability to understand the holding the ball rule anymore,one example was when Petrenko smothered the St.Kilda players kick in the 2nd quarter and the ball bounced up to him where he was tackled straight away and was given holding the ball.
Seemed like the players cant even tell anymore who the free-kicks are supposed to go to.

Yep. The prior opportunity interpretation has gone out the window. Sometimes if you dive on it you're pinged, sometimes not. Sometimes it isn't even a legal tackle and you're pinged. So confusing.

too many games are becoming over umpired tripe. There is barely a contest these days where a fee isnt paid for something. Usually the players get up with no idea who actually has the kick. Its ******* me off:mad:

It is freaking crazy!!!

I did not think this game was that hard... the more "professional" they have tried to get over the past couple of years, the worse they have got.

Frees should only be paid if the incident has an impact on play or is dangerous...ie holding a man away from the ball or clear push in the back which results in the player being forced out of position or dangerous contact off the ball.

They are too busy trying to justify their existence...imagine if it was that simple we did not need a director of umpiring? Geish would be out of a job...oh, better continue to confuse things so all umpires are crap and I remain employed!!

It is freaking crazy!!!

I did not think this game was that hard... the more "professional" they have tried to get over the past couple of years, the worse they have got.

Frees should only be paid if the incident has an impact on play or is dangerous...ie holding a man away from the ball or clear push in the back which results in the player being forced out of position or dangerous contact off the ball.

They are too busy trying to justify their existence...imagine if it was that simple we did not need a director of umpiring? Geish would be out of a job...oh, better continue to confuse things so all umpires are crap and I remain employed!!

Even since he became a part of the umpiring department, its gone downhill very very fast imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back