Under 16 National Champs - The Top 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 9, 2003
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carlton
I saw all 12 games last week and here is my Top 10 (in order). The talent is there, but with the draft age maybe moving around some of these kids may not be draftable until 2006.

1. Scott Gumbleton (WA) - CHF who dominated across half-forward in all 3 games. Strong hands and good height (needs to put some weight on). Every bit as good as Mitch Clark last year.

2. Leroy Jetta (WA) - Small midfielder with talent like a Daniel Wells. Quick, but not as explosive as Wells, prefers to use his amazing evasive skills in traffic. Great user of the ball. A huge talent.

3. Mitchell Thorp (TAS) - Key forward who showed his class on the final day when he booted 6 goals. Was great in opening game in poor conditions, and was serviceable in game 2 after being sick in hospital during the week.

4. Daniel Dzufer (QLD) - Classy tall-midfielder with a left foot not dissimilar to Nick Dal Santo. Kicked goals, won plenty of the ball, and used it to great effect.

5. Grae Grant (WA) - Midfielder who won plenty of the ball, pushed forward and is a star in the making. Tied with Jetta for the Div 1 Medal.

6. Joel Selwood (VIC) - His feature is his long kicking, but his hardness across half-back was great to watch. Brother of the AFL twins, he has the talent to go a long way.

7. Clayton Collard (WA) - Midfielder who was another WA star, his bleached short curly hair made him stand out, but his smooth, slick play was hard not to notice. Clean user and good size.

8. Travis Varcoe (SA) - Quick and skilful, still yet to determine whether he is Aborigine or an Islander. Was woeful on opening day but was sensational in the second game. Was OK on the final day but showed enough.

9. Grant Birchall (TAS) - His long raking left foot will be something we will all enjoy watching in years to come. He won plenty of the ball, and used it extremely well. Also strong overhead.

10. Gary Moss (WA) - He is short but hard to ignore his ball-winning ability and talent around the stoppages. A comparison to Hasleby would be fair.

Honorable mentions: Alex Hutchins (SA), Bryce Gibbs (SA), Bachar Houli (VicM), Jake Sellar (SA), Tom Hurley (SA), Pat Ryder (WA), Tom Hislop (TAS)

Relatives of AFL players:
Jack Riewoldt (TAS) - Cousin of Nick. Not up to it.
Tim Brown (VicC) - Brother of Jonathon. Too small, and not up to it.
Ben Armstrong (WA) - Brother of Steven. Not up to it.
Jacob Neal (VicC) - Son of Scratcher (played for Cats in 70-80s). Not up to it.

Cheers for that King...Mckenzie a bit harsh to miss out on a mention. when you talk about size on gary moss do you find the same with jetta. Jetta is a twin and both made all australian last year so watch out for those two, Jetta can turn on a 5cent piece. Grae Grant you said is a midfielder in all practice matches was used at full forward. Patty Ryder second tallest in the wa team measuring in at 196cm good to see he played well. Could i ask for a bit of detail on some players?
Jarryd oakley-nicholls, Matthew Lumberger,Elliot Pears,Chris Monterosso and broc Obrien.

Originally posted by LFC
Thanks for your wonderful insight Ben.

Probably will be a better player than his brother as well, who has been somewhat of a disappointment at AFL level IMO after looking like a junior star. Perhaps Bali impacted on him physically and mentally more than we know.

My sources tell me Joel Selwood will be a very good player. Hopefully he won't suffer the same injury fate as his brothers.

Originally posted by hawkapatto
interesting that not one vic metro player in the top ten

maybe a dud year
Houli got a mention in the honourables, a club recruiter friend of mine says Houli could be anything and is the best player of his age that he's seen in the last 10 years.

Sounds like he's probably exaggerated him a touch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Further to the comments today and in answer to queries:

Oakley-Nichols (WA) - Can't remember much about him. Didn't play in the second game and I didn't notice him in the Final.

Leuenberger (WA) - One of the tallest players at the carnival at 198cm, played in the final two games but didn't find much of the footy. Can't really say much more about him... his ruckwork was OK I guess but didn't get much of a chance.

Pears (WA) - Took a few good grabs up forward and was a bit of a livewire, booted three goals in the final I think.

Monterosso (WA) - His second game was his best, but other than that was given limited opportunities. Has some talent but didn't see too much of it.

O'Brien (WA) - Plenty of natural ability, played well all carnival. Won plenty of the ball and was very clean.

Ben Armstrong (WA) - From what I saw he won't make it, his brother has far more talent. But what I think is based on 2 games so you may have a better idea.

Daniel Anthony (VicM) - Was poor on opening day but kicked a couple of goals and showed something in the second game. Took a couple of good grabs and laid some tackles in the final game but his kicking is a bit of a worry.

Tom Collier (TAS) - Playing against blokes older than him, he was great. Will be a definite player of the future based on what I saw throughout.

Gumbleton is 194cm. Very raw at the moment, but the talent is there. Great marking ability, and also won plenty of the ball at ground level.

Jetta is shorter than Moss but has more tricks. Moss is in-and-under whereas Jetta is just a freak the way he dances with the ball, even when no-one is around him.

It is quite amazing about Vic Metro. They just had no-one, compared to WA who had about 7 or 8 guns. But surprisingly Metro challenged WA big time in the third quarter of their match. Best for Metro during the week were Houli, who was their standout in probably every match, although at 178cm clubs may be deterred. Also good were Ryan Anderson (played well in Game 1 & 3 only), and Nathan Jones. Big James Arundale also showed a bit. Their talls just fired no shots.

I'm suprised Nathan Jone's didn't make it into your top 10 list. The kid is a total freak and would walk straight into the seniors at Mt. Eliza who are top of the ladder.

He must of had an off week or something.

Originally posted by Falconer02
Cheers for that King...Mckenzie a bit harsh to miss out on a mention. when you talk about size on gary moss do you find the same with jetta. Jetta is a twin and both made all australian last year so watch out for those two, Jetta can turn on a 5cent piece. Grae Grant you said is a midfielder in all practice matches was used at full forward. Patty Ryder second tallest in the wa team measuring in at 196cm good to see he played well. Could i ask for a bit of detail on some players?
Jarryd oakley-nicholls, Matthew Lumberger,Elliot Pears,Chris Monterosso and broc Obrien.

Leroy is not a TWIn. His cousin Cam Jetta made AllAustralian along with Leroy at last years Schoolboys.
Cam is playing Colts football at the moment and maybe Leroy will finish off the year at Colts.

[

It is quite amazing about Vic Metro. They just had no-one, compared to WA who had about 7 or 8 guns. But surprisingly Metro challenged WA big time in the third quarter of their match. Best for Metro during the week were Houli, who was their standout in probably every match, although at 178cm clubs may be deterred. Also good were Ryan Anderson (played well in Game 1 & 3 only), and Nathan Jones. Big James Arundale also showed a bit. Their talls just fired no shots. [/B][/QUOTE]

Wa has some great talent with good talls and a lot of speed. What they didn't have as much of and this is where Vic Metro challenged for a short while and more importantly where Vic Country had it over us for a while IS genuine hardness at the footy and WA can thank Matt Virgo for his toughness at the footy for getting the talented players like Leroy Jetta more into the game.

Thanks for that.

What about Wayne Johnston's son who supposedly is playing for Vic Metro in the under 16 championships? I heard he is the goods and will likely be drafted in 2005 though haven't read anything about him.

Cheers.
NBB

What about Joseph Gazzo? Wore number 14 for vic metro i think he told me. How did he go? Does he have the goods to make it if anybody saw?

Originally posted by southjoy
Leroy is not a TWIn. His cousin Cam Jetta made AllAustralian along with Leroy at last years Schoolboys.
Cam is playing Colts football at the moment and maybe Leroy will finish off the year at Colts.
sorry bout that already new that but forgot....there from pingelly arent they?

ryan anderson had a great start to the carnival, but in game 2 was knocked out and takin to hospital! he then came out and played game three! shows that the kid has a lot of guts!

Remove this Banner Ad

Under 16 National Champs - The Top 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back