Unpopular Carlton Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

You left out Kennedy. Dud who will be delisted once his contract is up. He has gone right down the pecking order with the infusion of all these kids.
The issue you overlooked was the coach. Coming into his 5th year as coach with a 22.7% win record is unprecedented. .

Is that a typo, or are you just as wrong about that as everything else?

Is that a typo, or are you just as wrong about that as everything else?
Perhaps he is including the five games he coached Hawthorn in 2014 when Clarkson had to step aside :think:

Excellent post. Some of us have been saying this for a while but some of the cheerleaders on this forum get all upset and choose to delete posts.
You left out Kennedy. Dud who will be delisted once his contract is up. He has gone right down the pecking order with the infusion of all these kids.
The issue you overlooked was the coach. Coming into his 5th year as coach with a 22.7% win record is unprecedented. I keep hearing how everyone loves him, and wants him to stay etc etc, but that is not a reason to keep a coach who is not succeeding. The fact is that he is not up to it and he will not take the club to the next level, similiar to Brendan McCartney at the Bulldogs. He set it up for them and Beveridge cleaned it all up and walked into a premiership.

Bolton's match day tactics last season were at times deplorable.

We were beaten by GCS in Round 2 (no injuries) after GCS had played in the worst conditions in recent memory against the Kangaroos in Cairns. You would have thought they were finals bound the way they beat us up.
Round 4 against Norf was a disgrace.
Round 7 against the Crows they toyed with us
Round 9 against Melbourne was gut wrenching
Round 13 against the Dockers (at home) disgraceful
Round 16 Brisbane shocking
Round 17 Stkilda..If they had kicked straight it would have been a cricket score
Round 18 Hawthorn...toyed with us
Round 20 Giants...horror show
Round 23 Crows we finished on a high...beaten by 104 points by a team that did not make the finals.
If his win/loss record remains the same by Round 12, then he has to go. It cannot do the playing group any good to have a coach who cannot get wins on the board. I have no doubt by Round 12 that Richardson will probably be out of a job and that Ratten will be coaching St.Kilda for the same reason.

Good to see you Moody, see that you have lost your pompoms

So you still think Kennedy is a dud and Bolton can't coach?

Would you concede that Kennedy was carrying an ankle injury all year that he sustained in round 1? Surely we should judge his output based on playing injury free

As for Bolton, you do realise that a coach is such a minuscule component to the success of a side? Unless you have the appropriate talent and continuity, no coach will experience ongoing success. To further highlight this, Bolton coached Box Hill to, two back to back final's series (amazing what can happen, when you have the cattle). He also coach the Hawks (5-0 record), while Clarkson was ill (another indication of having the talent and continuity)

Last edited:

poor old moods - wakes up feeling low and needs a dog to kick - wrong dog, wrong place, wrong time, wrong thinking - everything else is spot on - like the dalmation I hope you never buy..........

Excellent post. Some of us have been saying this for a while but some of the cheerleaders on this forum get all upset and choose to delete posts.
The issue you overlooked was the coach. Coming into his 5th year as coach with a 22.7% win record is unprecedented. I keep hearing how everyone loves him, and wants him to stay etc etc, but that is not a reason to keep a coach who is not succeeding. The fact is that he is not up to it and he will not take the club to the next level, similiar to Brendan McCartney at the Bulldogs. He set it up for them and Beveridge cleaned it all up and walked into a premiership.

Bolton's match day tactics last season were at times deplorable.

We were beaten by GCS in Round 2 (no injuries) after GCS had played in the worst conditions in recent memory against the Kangaroos in Cairns. You would have thought they were finals bound the way they beat us up.
Round 4 against Norf was a disgrace.
Round 7 against the Crows they toyed with us
Round 9 against Melbourne was gut wrenching
Round 13 against the Dockers (at home) disgraceful
Round 16 Brisbane shocking
Round 17 Stkilda..If they had kicked straight it would have been a cricket score
Round 18 Hawthorn...toyed with us
Round 20 Giants...horror show
Round 23 Crows we finished on a high...beaten by 104 points by a team that did not make the finals.
If his win/loss record remains the same by Round 12, then he has to go. It cannot do the playing group any good to have a coach who cannot get wins on the board. I have no doubt by Round 12 that Richardson will probably be out of a job and that Ratten will be coaching St.Kilda for the same reason.
Hey Moods, good to see ya kicking around.

FWIW I think you're too hard on Kennedy. Had the late finish with GWS in 2017 due to the finals campaign and then underwent a double shoulder reco. Was always going to be struggling to get to the line in time for Round 1. Then to cop ankle ligament damage in the first 10 minutes of Round 1 was just shit luck and carried it for the rest of the year. Lets see how he goes with a full preseason under his belt. One thing I will be interested to see is just how mobile, or not, Kennedy is injury free. Kennedy is someone who I think will really benefit from the new fitness programs Andrew Russell will install.

As for Bolts, well I reckon he's had to be pretty patient while SOS acquired everything but an engine room with some grunt. At last SOS has assembled one, but Dow, O'Brien, Setterfield, Walsh and Stocker are only in their infancy as AFL players so we need to be realistic about their output this year. On the positive side, fitter versions of SPS & Fisher will have even more impact when working with Cripps, Kennedy, Murphy, Simmo & Ed. If Garlett & Cuningham come on that should be seen as a bonus. This off season we've acquired McGovern, Newman, Setterfield & Fasolo as mature players as against the usual discards we seem to usually attract while Weitering, Charlie, McKay, Cuningham & SOSOS will all be 4th year players this year. Bolton should have a lot more to work with this year. Even if everything goes right I think we'll be around 6-8 wins this year.

poor old moods - wakes up feeling low and needs a dog to kick - wrong dog, wrong place, wrong time, wrong thinking - everything else is spot on - like the dalmation I hope you never buy..........
Reading some of these posts you'd think some posters have put money on us going 0-22....

Bit shameful.
This is the Unpopular Opinions thread guys. People, such as yours truly, have specifically put a post here for a reason. There is a Positive thread if that's more your go. No offence meant here.

I pioneered this approach to poster negativity except my preferred chamber is a public sewer.
Ha. I was just going for rising damp. Need to raise my standards

Meh, can’t see the point of putting posters on ignore.

Would hate to miss the opportunity to learn something new or fail to understand a different viewpoint that might open my eyes to other possibilities.

Reckon you can lose something valuable, even if it is only learning greater patience or how to find some common ground.

Not all posters is total spuds.

Would hate to miss the opportunity to learn something new or fail to understand a different viewpoint that might open my eyes to other possibilities.

Reckon you can lose something valuable, even if it is only learning greater patience or how to find some common ground.

Each to their own. I hope you can read this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks

Not put anyone on ignore yet and won't for different views. Love reading debates and discussions. Ignore is at the ready for disrespectful, bullying and rude posters.

Hey Moods, good to see ya kicking around.

FWIW I think you're too hard on Kennedy. Had the late finish with GWS in 2017 due to the finals campaign and then underwent a double shoulder reco. Was always going to be struggling to get to the line in time for Round 1. Then to cop ankle ligament damage in the first 10 minutes of Round 1 was just shit luck and carried it for the rest of the year. Lets see how he goes with a full preseason under his belt. One thing I will be interested to see is just how mobile, or not, Kennedy is injury free. Kennedy is someone who I think will really benefit from the new fitness programs Andrew Russell will install.

As for Bolts, well I reckon he's had to be pretty patient while SOS acquired everything but an engine room with some grunt. At last SOS has assembled one, but Dow, O'Brien, Setterfield, Walsh and Stocker are only in their infancy as AFL players so we need to be realistic about their output this year. On the positive side, fitter versions of SPS & Fisher will have even more impact when working with Cripps, Kennedy, Murphy, Simmo & Ed. If Garlett & Cuningham come on that should be seen as a bonus. This off season we've acquired McGovern, Newman, Setterfield & Fasolo as mature players as against the usual discards we seem to usually attract while Weitering, Charlie, McKay, Cuningham & SOSOS will all be 4th year players this year. Bolton should have a lot more to work with this year. Even if everything goes right I think we'll be around 6-8 wins this year.

This is the Unpopular Opinions thread guys. People, such as yours truly, have specifically put a post here for a reason. There is a Positive thread if that's more your go. No offence meant here.

If I am proven wrong with Kennedy, Thomas Casboult or Bolton, I will unequivocally apologize. Fact is we have been going thru this crap since 2012, and we are three years away from playing finals. I am genuinely excited about the midfield being put together, and reminds me of 1979. It will work if we play positive football, take chances, not fall to pieces once we have a few goals kicked against us. Never ever want to see repeats of GWS, Adelaide and Melbourne.

Macreadie showed he was ready in his first year - did not look out of place

Like so many others on our list just needs a good run without injury and some continuity. And a spot opening up for him in the seniors of course - behind Weitering, Plowman, Jones and Marchbank at this stage

With all players fit I don't see SPS as in our best 22. I feel as though he has had a number of games to cement his position and some of the kids coming though might make it hard to lock him in.

Murphy Cripps and Ed Curnow will play every game if available from the senior crew. Dow and Fisher are two kids that have come on in leaps and bounds and are locks when fit.

Add LOB (who I think has shown enough), Walsh, Stocker, Setterfield and Kennedy who all should play if fit.

Then the likes of Polson & Cunners (who I still think are going to be very good), Bugg, Garlett, Pickett who are probably on the fringe depending on form and injury.

Could also include Doc, Thomas, Simpson, Willo and others who will rotate through the middle at times potentially.

Good to see you Moody, see that you have lost your pompoms

So you still think Kennedy is a dud and Bolton can't coach?

Would you concede that Kennedy was carrying an ankle injury all year that he sustained in round 1? Surely we should judge his output based on playing injury free

As for Bolton, you do realise that a coach is such a minuscule component to the success of a side? Unless you have the appropriate talent and continuity, no coach will experience ongoing success. To further highlight this, Bolton coached Box Hill to, two back to back final's series (amazing what can happen, when you have the cattle). He also coach the Hawks (5-0 record), while Clarkson was ill (another indication of having the talent and continuity)

I have been listening to excuses for 6 years. Sick and tired of excuses. He crossed the line and played. Ultimately he makes the call. From what I saw of him last year, he was very poor. No pace, could not keep up with the play, but more importantly had zero impact on the game. I have seen Cripps on one leg still have an influence. I was saying the same about Casboult 4 years ago and the cheerleaders were all telling me what a great mark he was etc etc. We now know the truth.

A smart coach may have tried to resurrect his career, by using his marking strength across the half back line, similar to the way Jones was resurrected..
If coaching is underrated, why do they spend millions on a coaching department? You need the talent, but the players have to play as part of a team and fit in to the team structures. As for Bolton, I concede his coaching credentials were formidable. I seem to recall that a guy named Mark Neeld had good resume, but ultimately was sacked. He was coaching a poor team, but ultimately the club acknowledged he was not upto it. BB classes himself as a teacher. After 4 years and a 22% success rate, it could be argued he has achieved an F. Case in point, he needs to unleash Petrevski-Seeton this year and let the kid play. He has phenomenol ability, let him use it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular Carlton Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back