Unpopular Carlton Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Zac Fisher is our 2nd most promising youngster (after CC). So much poise and dash. I am thrilled the club is finally nailing its 2nd round draft picks. I don't mean to diminish our other young guns, just thrilled we got a future A grade talent outside the first round (was a pretty decent draft class the year he was taken though)

Last edited:
show_image.php

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have hired Nina and Captain Carlton's dodgy hovercraft.
nina - there's another blue I wanna see a lift from in 2019...........own your character, step into your own space.........

Look there's a lot of people who won't like this post, which is why I put it here. It's honest, it's blunt and it deals with reality. Trust me, by the end of preseason there'll be those on this very board who'll have worked themselves up into a frenzy that we'll be a monty to be Top 8, if not Top 4. Mark my words. We finished last by some significant margin and there's a reason for that.

The Expendables:
  • Darcy Lang - Shown SFA at AFL level. Last chance saloon for Lang. Injuries, preseason or not he'll need to perform. 6th year player next season
  • Jarrod Pickett - Another whose AFL career hangs by a thread. Done nothing. Fitness and motivation are big issues for him. 5th year player next season
  • Dale Thomas - His best is well behind him. Not exactly a kid is he???
  • Levi Casboult - Would already be elsewhere if SOS could've found a home for him.
  • Andrew Phillips - Simply can't get on the park.
  • Jarrod Garlett - Another who has failed to live up to his hype. Effectively a 5th year player this year.
  • SOSOS - Used him in every position on the park trying to find a spot for him this season. Not best 22 and may be best suited as depth.
  • David Cuningham - Shown very little at AFL level. Could be make or break for him. 4th year player this year and not a kid anymore.
  • Matthew Lobbe - Just serviceable, but you'd be hoping Kreuzer's heart holds out.
  • Pat Kerr - Just given the one year extension. If SOS trades Pick 1 and takes Max King or Jack Lukosius as part of that trade, then he'll be gonski.
  • Kym LeBois - Reckon he was bloody lucky to get a one year extension.
There's 11 and I haven't had to look too hard. You'd love to hope some of them, such as Cuningham, are able to turn it around, but...... Some here might think I'm harsh with many of them, but SOS is absolutely ruthless. I have none of these players as being in our best 22. Anyone on here that seriously thinks SOS can't reach double figures again regarding list changes this time next year is kidding themselves.

Lets have a look at some other issues.
  • Matthew Kreuzer - Played 12 games before being struck down by a heart condition. Are they on top of it or is he cooked??? Will be 30 this year and, as a general rule, one tends to play less games rather more once they pass this age.
  • Marc Murphy - Another one who is pretty banged up. Never seems to miss just a game or two. When he gets injured its generally mid to long term. Another who is past 30 and I'd also expect him to play less games rather than more going forward.
  • Will Setterfield - Barely been able to get on the park for the last 3 years due to injury. You'd like to think he could get past it, but some blokes are made of glass. Let's hope Russell can work some magic here, he's a terrific talent.
  • Caleb Marchbank - Essentially missed the last 2 years of junior footy and the 1st two years at AFL level due to injury. Still only managed 12 games last year due to injury and a heart condition. Is he over it or won't we know until he's under the pressure of match day. Like Murph he rarely misses just one or two weeks, it's usually mid-long term.
  • Lachie Plowman - Injury is like Plowman's soul mate. One seems to go hand-in-hand with the other. Been like that for his entire career.
  • Simmo - I've been saying he's only got a couple of years left in him since 1912. The energizer bunny can't keep going for ever.
  • Alex Fasolo - You hate seeing players cut down by mental illness or injury. Out on the field is where they belong, but is Fasolo over his mental demons???
IMO our rick division is a time bomb waiting to go off.

Those 2 lists comprise 18 players, virtually half our list. We only need half a dozen injuries or so to have most of the expendables back in the side. It's one bloody pessimistic and depressing post, but it does highlight as to why we finished on the bottom.....and to think we've just made 12 list changes!!! Depth??? We're getting closer to having some, but there's still a fair bit of work to do if the club is to achieve its aim of sustained success.

So how are you feeling about our depth now Murphster???

Excellent post. Some of us have been saying this for a while but some of the cheerleaders on this forum get all upset and choose to delete posts.
You left out Kennedy. Dud who will be delisted once his contract is up. He has gone right down the pecking order with the infusion of all these kids.
The issue you overlooked was the coach. Coming into his 4th year as coach with a 22.7% win record is unprecedented. I keep hearing how everyone loves him, and wants him to stay etc etc, but that is not a reason to keep a coach who is not succeeding. The fact is that he is not up to it and he will not take the club to the next level, similiar to Brendan McCartney at the Bulldogs. He set it up for them and Beveridge cleaned it all up and walked into a premiership.

Bolton's match day tactics last season were at times deplorable.

We were beaten by GCS in Round 2 (no injuries) after GCS had played in the worst conditions in recent memory against the Kangaroos in Cairns. You would have thought they were finals bound the way they beat us up.
Round 4 against Norf was a disgrace.
Round 7 against the Crows they toyed with us
Round 9 against Melbourne was gut wrenching
Round 13 against the Dockers (at home) disgraceful
Round 16 Brisbane shocking
Round 17 Stkilda..If they had kicked straight it would have been a cricket score
Round 18 Hawthorn...toyed with us
Round 20 Giants...horror show
Round 23 Crows we finished on a high...beaten by 104 points by a team that did not make the finals.
If his win/loss record remains the same by Round 12, then he has to go. It cannot do the playing group any good to have a coach who cannot get wins on the board. I have no doubt by Round 12 that Richardson will probably be out of a job and that Ratten will be coaching St.Kilda for the same reason.

Last edited:
Excellent post. Some of us have been saying this for a while but some of the cheerleaders on this forum get all upset and choose to delete posts.
You left out Kennedy. Dud who will be delisted once his contract is up. He has gone right down the pecking order with the infusion of all these kids.
The issue you overlooked was the coach. Coming into his 5th year as coach with a 22.7% win record is unprecedented. I keep hearing how everyone loves him, and wants him to stay etc etc, but that is not a reason to keep a coach who is not succeeding. The fact is that he is not up to it and he will not take the club to the next level, similiar to Brendan McCartney at the Bulldogs. He set it up for them and Beveridge cleaned it all up and walked into a premiership.

Bolton's match day tactics last season were at times deplorable.

We were beaten by GCS in Round 2 (no injuries) after GCS had played in the worst conditions in recent memory against the Kangaroos in Cairns. You would have thought they were finals bound the way they beat us up.
Round 4 against Norf was a disgrace.
Round 7 against the Crows they toyed with us
Round 9 against Melbourne was gut wrenching
Round 13 against the Dockers (at home) disgraceful
Round 16 Brisbane shocking
Round 17 Stkilda..If they had kicked straight it would have been a cricket score
Round 18 Hawthorn...toyed with us
Round 20 Giants...horror show
Round 23 Crows we finished on a high...beaten by 104 points by a team that did not make the finals.
If his win/loss record remains the same by Round 12, then he has to go. It cannot do the playing group any good to have a coach who cannot get wins on the board. I have no doubt by Round 12 that Richardson will probably be out of a job and that Ratten will be coaching St.Kilda for the same reason.
I'm a pessimist so I certainly hear these points and they resonate. I'd hope the club sticks with Bolton for the whole season as I don't see the value in a caretaker and think culturally we are still ok.

In terms of finishing position, I agree anyone saying top 8 is kidding themselves. But on the counter the posts writing off every other player are too negative, whilst those assuming all players will be fit the whole year are too optimistic.

In the end, a likely result is we will still have some injuries so not all of our players will develop to their potential or contribute. I've got us bottom 6.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular Carlton Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back