Votes: 34 29.3%
  • Conca

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • Why don't we have both?

Votes: 63 54.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 6 = Pick 11 + 27

Surely we'd want a lower 2nd round pick..

If we're downgrading Pick 6 we might as well trade it away for a young midfielder..
I suspect the club is thinking the same player will be available at 6 or 10 (I would think we'd want to take the higher of the two picks between 10 and 11).

I'm inclined to support Rockliff in this instance. Agree with him pretty strongly - if it's awkward for the kids that have to come back to the Lions, too bad.

Would want it to be 10 and 27 not 11 and 27 to avoid giving collingwood two picks before us

A downgrade of 4 spots to get yeo whilst retaining pick 24 is a good deal for us

It actually has to be 10 because collingwood don't yet have 11 to trade as it is the assumed compo pick for Thomas

Pick 6 = Pick 11 + 27

Surely we'd want a lower 2nd round pick..

If we're downgrading Pick 6 we might as well trade it away for a young midfielder..

We need one of these for the AFL:
http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

If these were NFL picks, it would be a win for us:
6 (1,600 points) < 11 (1,250) + 27 (680)

However, I think AFL picks would have a steeper drop off.

I suspect the club is thinking the same player will be available at 6 or 10 (I would think we'd want to take the higher of the two picks between 10 and 11).
Was thinking the same but what happens if there's a slider which we would have taken at 6 and the pies grab him? Maybe we rate players from 6to 11 around the same so are happy to take the gamble with the ones we want to be available at 11. So essentially we have a 5 pick downgrade but get Yeo thrown in and keep our second rounder am I right?

This pick downgrading and what not is the exact reason the draft should be held at the end of the trade period. This would allow teams to get the best idea of when the player they want will be taken and allow them to make the moves possible to get that player.

How is that different to what happens now?

How is that different to what happens now?
Sorry, i should have been more clear. I mean that the draft should be in the trade period more at the end. So much can happen in the month after the trade period of teams going hot and cold on players and trades that were made for a purpose may become defunct in this month.

Sorry, i should have been more clear. I mean that the draft should be in the trade period more at the end. So much can happen in the month after the trade period of teams going hot and cold on players and trades that were made for a purpose may become defunct in this month.
I love how the NFL/NBA has trading during the draft.

Not sure we should go there but it keeps options open.

This pick downgrading and what not is the exact reason the draft should be held at the end of the trade period. This would allow teams to get the best idea of when the player they want will be taken and allow them to make the moves possible to get that player.

i like the point of difference compared to something like the nba.

it feels to me like the league has turned a corner in terms of club-player loyalty. a player like chappy finishing up elsewhere 20 years ago would have been ridiculous. i tend to agree with barrett about the free agency/compo picks story - they don't feed a fair competition and we don't need them. a club like colingwood shouldn't be picking up a pick 11 with their current list and situation, they should just sign other players with his money. i don't mean to single out the pies, it's just one example.

anyway, i don't mind, as long as they keep the father-son rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need one of these for the AFL:
http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

If these were NFL picks, it would be a win for us:
6 (1,600 points) < 11 (1,250) + 27 (680)

However, I think AFL picks would have a steeper drop off.

OK, so I converted this NFL one to an AFL one (start at 3,000, then just averaging the next 3 values, so it goes out to 76 picks). However, this is probably not the best way as the curve ends up a bit steeper, so it probably overvalues higher picks.

If we took that system, it wouldn't be worth it:

6 (1,050) > 10 (680) + 27 (200)

1 3000
2 2200
3 1600
4 1350
5 1200
6 1050
7 908
8 810
9 740
10 680
11 620
12 577
13 540
14 510
15 480
16 450
17 420
18 390
19 360
20 330
21 301
22 277
23 260
24 245
25 230
26 215
27 200
28 185
29 170

Why aren't we dealing 6 to GWS for 9&19 - then give up 24 for Yeo

I wouldn't imagine GWS would be going too deep in the draft - and I'd they do get pick 2 from Melb - that leaves them with 1,2&6

10&27 seems very light for a draft that apparently falls off a cliff at 20

Didn't it say about the shaw deal that it was proposed
GWS trade Adams + 3rd rounder (35) for Pies Shaw and 2nd rounder (27) as Adams has more value !
How can Pies trade pick 10+27 for Wce 6

10+11 for 6 +24 is more fair.

pick 27 will drop once free agent picks are decided. as will pick 24. so realistically it might be 10+11 for 6 and 26/27.

as you get closer to pick one, value is exponential. sure we might drop 6 to 10 but its not like dropping say 25 to 29. albeit it also aint the same as dropping from 1 to 5.

i like the point of difference compared to something like the nba.

it feels to me like the league has turned a corner in terms of club-player loyalty. a player like chappy finishing up elsewhere 20 years ago would have been ridiculous. i tend to agree with barrett about the free agency/compo picks story - they don't feed a fair competition and we don't need them. a club like colingwood shouldn't be picking up a pick 11 with their current list and situation, they should just sign other players with his money. i don't mean to single out the pies, it's just one example.

anyway, i don't mind, as long as they keep the father-son rule.

I agree compensation is bullshit but I do believe we would be more able to pull off a better trade with say a collingwood if we knew on the night that whoever we wanted was going to go at 10 and they wanted the player going at 6, we could trade down and gain a player or another pick. If we do it now it could really bite us in the bum.

Would do in a hear beat.

Who has picks 7-10? Lions, North, GWS, and Collingwood. Do any of them need a grunt IM? North have their FS pick and GWS sure don't need mids. Collingwood probably need some backs more than mids, while the Lions just need players, difficult to say exactly what type though.

We'll most probably still get the kid we want at 10 or 11 as at six and then keep 24 while getting Yeo.

I think Collingwood want Lennon but that's just my take on things.

I want to know who we're chasing with pick ~27.

I think it's just to on-trade for Yeo. I guess they just want to retain 2 picks in the top 30.

Not sure that many prospects in the 20-30 range excite me at this stage. What are your thoughts on Hartung?

I don't mind the Collingwood deal but I think it's dumb to engineer trades like this when we don't even know how the AFL is going to be compensating free agency picks this year.

I mean last year they alluded that going forward compensation wasn't going to be as rewarding as it was in it's first year (Where most people thought it's rewards were quite weak).

I think it's just to on-trade for Yeo. I guess they just want to retain 2 picks in the top 30.

Not sure that many prospects in the 20-30 range excite me at this stage. What are your thoughts on Hartung?

I meant pick 24 that will become roughly pick 27. Assuming it's Collingwoods second rounder that Brisbane accept and not our second rounder.

We're a West Australian club. Chances are there is someone local who isn't rated as highly nationally that we want in the second round.

I meant pick 24 that will become roughly pick 27. Assuming it's Collingwoods second rounder that Brisbane accept and not our second rounder.

We're a West Australian club. Chances are there is someone local who isn't rated as highly nationally that we want in the second round.

Jansen or Robertson? They are in that late second round/early third round category and we could be wanting swoop a bit earlier?

Remove this Banner Ad

News UPDATE - Elliot Yeo now an Eagle

Back