• YOOOOO

Votes: 34 29.3%
  • Conca

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • Why don't we have both?

Votes: 63 54.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Found this interesting, Tom Rockcliff tweeted but its been deleted now: how can kids choose the club where they go to when they only played a handful of games.

Well in regards to Yeo, he only really has us and Freo to choose from and the whole purpose is to live back home, It's quite simple Tom.

I feel sorry for Brisbane with a few players wanting out but its only the clubs fault.

Brisbane screwed over a bunch of players in a row, didn't play many of these guys regularly and talked about regeneration of the list. That kills loyalty.

Brisbane screwed over a bunch of players in a row, didn't play many of these guys regularly and talked about regeneration of the list. That kills loyalty.

Yeo and Doc were in the best 22 by seasons end. Polec has been injury plagued, Longer is a ruck and needs to work on his forward game(10 games is plenty for a second year ruck) and well Karnezis should have played more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest issue, I think, is that they allowed themselves to be in a position where the season ended and five top-30 picks from the last three drafts were all out of contract and hadn't re-signed.
While we clearly didn't do all that we could to keep them happy and contented, for which we will pay dearly, you can assume we were trying bloody hard to re-sign them before it got to this - bar Karnezis who never really wanted to be there. Can't force kids to sign if they, their parents, their friends and their managers don't want them to.

The biggest issue, I think, is that they allowed themselves to be in a position where the season ended and five top-30 picks from the last three drafts were all out of contract and hadn't re-signed.

That's an interesting point. I don't think we could've done much about all their contracts ending at the same point (Karnezis and Polec signed one year extensions very early on) but definitely contract re-signings this year have been long, slow and protracted, and it seems like we've been overly cautious in waiting for the priority deals to be finalised before moving on to whoever's next on the list.

Hence Rich, Hanley, and Leuenberger were re-signed about mid-season, and Staker still isn't signed. Justin Clarke's first senior deal was announced with great fanfare last week, but it was pretty obvious from about July that he'd be elevated, so why did it take four months?

It might be that if we'd shown a bit more enthusiasm to sign up these kids earlier in the season they might've responded.
So many factors though. It's really hard to say what we could've done, if anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

News UPDATE - Elliot Yeo now an Eagle

Back