Utterly Forgotten Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Dean Irving - First choice ruck in '91 with back up from a 18-19yo Jakovich
Paul Harding - Got him from StK only played 1 or 2 (?) seasons managed to be our first ruck for '92 premiership.

Wasn't it Brett Spinks?
Thought there were 2 Spinks' and we had the younger Brett?

From memory Jason was a very early pick of the Sydney Swans and we picked him up after he finished with Sydney (injuries were an issue from memory).

I dont remember him playing a game for us, but I'm sure he was on the list.

From memory Jason was a very early pick of the Sydney Swans and we picked him up after he finished with Sydney (injuries were an issue from memory).

I dont remember him playing a game for us, but I'm sure he was on the list.

Yeah you're right we had both Spinks' for a time

Anyone mention Andy Lovell?
Got him for Melb in '95 (?) then became a runner for us for a while.

Brendan Retzlaff from Brisbane (?) & Michael Dunstan from Fitzroy - thought they were going to be a big pickups (esp Dunstan) they both struggled to get a game once over here.

Good ol' Tony Godden - thought he was good, but then we traded him to Freo when they setup.

Spider Burton - don't think he got a game with us.

Didn't he die in a woodchopping accident?

Or have i got that arse about?

If I remember right, his old man was a State champion wood chopper down in Tassie. Hence Andy's nickname 'Chopper'.

Andy's still around, I think he might be coaching the VFL now?

Played some good footy for us in 1996 but he was at the tail end of his career - as was Craig Turley, who we sent the other way to play out his days with Melbourne.

"Eagle for a day", the name we used to give a teacher at Leeming high school. Just can't remember his name. Was a good east freo player I think.[/quote]

Haha i went to Leeming as well! It was Shane Ellis! I remember him coming to school on mondays, walking like he had just been hit by a truck! I went to an Eagles game and was cheering for "Mr Ellis"!!!

Paul Johnston who was a reasonably early draft pick

Remmember his debut where he looked promising but the club identified his limited talent at AFL level and wisely shipped of to Melbourne.

Not sure but i think we aquired Rosa from that deal

We got Stenglein in that deal to. Was a three way trade. I dont remember if draft picks were exchanged

Johnson to Malbourne
Scott Thompson to Adelaide
Stenglein to West Coast

Some more to add - top of my head

Brent Tuckey
Kasey Green - replaced Phil Matera in the 2005 GF and from memory took the honours on O'Keefe
Mitch Morton
Scott Cummings :D

From the R1 gurnsey

Adrian Barich - in the first ever team
Alex Ishchenko
Paul Peos
Mark Zanotti
Troy Ugle
Ian Dargie
Dale Kickett - Forgotten for other reasons to
Brendan Krummel
Matt Connell
Tony Godden
IAN DOWNBOROUGH :D
Ashley Blurton
Brendan Retzlaff
Ilija Grgic
Todd Holmes
Scott Bennett
Michael Collica
Greg Harding - Another one of those players to be on WC andf Freo lists
Daniel McConnell - Went home to vic and the Kangaroos. Got delisted there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, was just about to mention Daniel McConnell. Was involved in the trade that got us the picks for Hurn and McKinley, and Hawthorn the pick for Max Bailey. Hmm...wonder which club won that 3-way trade?

Brad Smith could have been amazing for us. Probably would have made the 2005 flag a sure thing. Tragedy. Braun and Matera injuries hurt us in that GF. Too many random's were in that lineup.

James Thomson was the no-hoper of the 2006 draft class. His dad is involved in sports broadcasting I think.

David Antonowicz, Luke Trew, David Ogg...

I remember Murray Wrensted for kicking our first ever goal.
Our 1995 national draft was horrific. Laughably bad.

This thread will only get better as the years roll on. And yes, Michael Embley wins this thread. Forgot he even existed, and his bro still plays for us.

I remember snots in a game between Subi and Hawthorn (i think)

Must have had about a half dozen runs from the fullback line to the wing.

Liked a bounce of the footy - that's for sure

Best Dennis Cometti quote about Mark Zanotti (one night at the WACA):

"He's made more runs on this ground than Kim Hughes!"

Was Gastev on our list to start with or was he Brissy from day one?

Definitely with us.

One of the few that were jettisoned by Toddy after 1988 (along with Zanotti, Wally Matera, Murray Wrensted, Michael O'Connell and Alex Ischencko)

Little tidbit for you. Gastev's real surname was Gastevich, however he changed it before the 1984 WAFL season IIRC.

A few not yet mentioned.

Phil Narkle
Mark Hepburn
Darren Bennett
Geoff Miles
Dean Turner
Don Holmes
Peter Davidson

Ryan Davis - NSW scholarship player who got a few games in a shit season (couple of years back), showed a bit but knocked back a rookie contract the following year (something about taking a pay cut to stay pretty much) and tried his luck in the draft. No longer in the league.

Steven Armstrong, but that might just be me.

army will always be remembered for that dribbling snap goal in the 06 gf...played a part and was rewarded with a premiership medal :thumbsu:

I never knew krummel played for us, i thought he was a hawk only?
I remember collica and taylor, from the judge era :eek:
and greg harding was a trade from freo for metro i believe?

I never knew krummel played for us, i thought he was a hawk only?
I remember collica and taylor, from the judge era :eek:
and greg harding was a trade from freo for metro i believe?

Yep, Krummel started with WCE, had a short lived stint at Freo too.

Collica was runner up in our B&F in 2001, rough year but he was good. Woosha didn't rate him and he was gone not long after. Taylor was our second best midfielder that year behind Cousins. Like I said, it was a rough year!

Harding for Metro yep, was a nil all draw that one!

Steven Armstrong, but that might just be me.

Saw this thread on the main page, took 94 posts but now he's been mentioned!

Came from Melbourne after a few years there, I remember on AFL Live Premiership Edition he was an absolute gun at full forward, kicked 14 goals :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Utterly Forgotten Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back