Utterly Forgotten Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew McDougall ;-)

So glad the Doggies took him off our hands.

Jaxon Crabb played a couple of games for us.

Amen brother, can't believe how many games he got. If there was a player that didn't look like he had the heart for the game he was it.

Remember getting so angry at 1 play in particular, Essendon @ Subi 2004, McDougall with Fletcher minding him go up in a marking contest ball comes to ground as do McD & Fletcher. McDougall gets up and starts dusting his shorts off while the ball is still in play on the ground behind him. Fletcher picks it up and runs off with it. :mad: I mean come on worrying about stains and grass on your shorts before where the ball is........what player at any level would do that?

Yeah, was just about to mention Daniel McConnell. Was involved in the trade that got us the picks for Hurn and McKinley, and Hawthorn the pick for Max Bailey. Hmm...wonder which club won that 3-way trade?

Brad Smith could have been amazing for us. Probably would have made the 2005 flag a sure thing. Tragedy. Braun and Matera injuries hurt us in that GF. Too many random's were in that lineup.

James Thomson was the no-hoper of the 2006 draft class. His dad is involved in sports broadcasting I think.

David Antonowicz, Luke Trew, David Ogg...

I remember Murray Wrensted for kicking our first ever goal.
Our 1995 national draft was horrific. Laughably bad.

This thread will only get better as the years roll on. And yes, Michael Embley wins this thread. Forgot he even existed, and his bro still plays for us.

Pretty sure Keene kicked our first goal

Ugle was an immense talent.

Had he not had such family issues, he could have been anything.

Even after he had done his knee and stopped playing at the Ducks, he had some talent and enormous speed. Was boundary umpiring a game of his in some amateur game. I was running 11 second hundreds at the time and he was hard to match, even though he was about 38. Must have had 30 touches to half time, before he got told his nephew had been killed in a car accident. :(

Even after he had done his knee and stopped playing at the Ducks, he had some talent and enormous speed. Was boundary umpiring a game of his in some amateur game. I was running 11 second hundreds at the time and he was hard to match, even though he was about 38.

When he was at Dianella/Morley coaching we had to train up with his b grade side a couple times when we didn't have enough numbers, although he didn't look like it the bloke was still seriously fit.

Seem to remember something about him playing a blinder at the WACA on a Friday night with the Eagles coming back in the 2nd half against St Kilda?
Was against the Bulldogs IIRC. They kicked 8 in the first quarter to our 1, then we turned it around in the second, and were a goal or two up at the half.

I remember a young Chad Morrison slamming it thru to put us in front.

Can't believe Paul Peos has only been mentioned once. I went to school with his niece. She got me his autograph (we were about 10), so I gave her flowers.

craig smoker anyone??

i remember getting the afl video game for PC in 1996 and because he had the highest speed rating of anyone at the eagles i used to put him in the midfield and he killed it. don't think he even played a game for us - i was gutted that he wasn't a star.

Pole went on to play for Melboure and then ended up playing for Williamstown in the VFL and then suburban football.

Seem to remember something about him playing a blinder at the WACA on a Friday night with the Eagles coming back in the 2nd half against St Kilda?

Was against the Bulldogs IIRC. They kicked 8 in the first quarter to our 1, then we turned it around in the second, and were a goal or two up at the half.

Nah - it was ther saints - the bullies was another game

Ugle kicked 5 from memory - with 3 or 4 in the last quarter - from standing on peoples heads and taking grabs.

Brad Smith could have been amazing for us. Probably would have made the 2005 flag a sure thing. Tragedy. Braun and Matera injuries hurt us in that GF. Too many random's were in that lineup.

Probably would have given us a dip in 2007 as well, could have beaten Port or at least Collingwood in extra time and then made our way to another GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah - it was ther saints - the bullies was another game

Ugle kicked 5 from memory - with 3 or 4 in the last quarter - from standing on peoples heads and taking grabs.

If I recall, Ugle may have been playing on Craig Davenport, who kicked 5 or 6 early goals. Then Ugle got swung foward and kicked 5 or 6 himself.

And yes, the Bulldogs game was another game. Much much later (like almost a decade later).

Zac Beeck. Pretty sure he never played a game.

Greg Harding. Probably involved in the most pointless trade in history with Daniel Metropolis to Freo going the other way. I wonder who won that?

Anyone mention David Hynes - came to us from SA, got close (?) to grand final team and then traded off to Fremantle for more game time.

If my memory serves me correctly he ran for us for a couple of years after retiring.

Anyone mention David Hynes - came to us from SA, got close (?) to grand final team and then traded off to Fremantle for more game time.

If my memory serves me correctly he ran for us for a couple of years after retiring.

Played in our '94 flag

Some of the blokes mentioned in this thread were actually pretty handy players.

Just from the first page, Paul Symmons and Andrew Donnelly were both quite handy. And Josh Wooden was one of our best players in the second half of 2004 when we made our run to the finals. If he hadn't got injured and hadn't been trying to crack a spot in the league's best midfield, he would have played a lot more games.

Certainly wasn't implying some of those blokes weren't handy, just that they are generally forgotten!

Paul Symmons played some quality footy for WCE, was stiff to get cut when he did.

three names not mentioned........all with EF connections.......Kris Miller played 1 game for WCE from memory, still kicking around for SF and doing well..........Shane Ellis had one season at Essendon from memory, reliable defender for EF in the 80's when EF were a strong side, how many games did Ellis play for WCE?.... and finally a young EF colts player called Conrad Chambers got rookied by WCE.....I remember him kicking 10 goals in a EF reserves match when he was 17/18 yrs old......blonde head......injury or lack of desire saw his AFL career cut short......bobbed up at Perth footy club a few years later in the 90's.....played a season or two and disappeared again!

Remove this Banner Ad

Utterly Forgotten Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back