Mod. Notice Vale Grand Uncle Horace

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
It is with great sadness that I announce our Grand Uncle Horace has left us. He had been ill for some time and this battle was one he could not argue with... Well, he probably did - Uncle could and would argue with anyone about just about anything, but some debates cannot be won.

He was passionate about a great many things and would defend that which he loved long and loud. One of which was his beloved Bloods. An olde Souths Man to his very core he would often regal us with stories of watching South Melbourne greats at Lakeside Oval.

I caught up with Uncle a number of times over the years and recall when we convinced him to come to the G when instead of going home after drinks. Ben Ronke kicked 7. A great time was had I can tell you - Uncle gave the Hawk lads hell throughout the game.

There was never a moniker Uncle couldn't provide to a team that didn't defy linguistic interpretation - anything but their actual name. Especially Saints & North :tongueoutv1: He introduced me to words like: flogstradamus, Citizen Kane and comments like: This is less an advertisement for the game and more a tax deduction.

And god help the player he got a set on. He was diabolical.

He was active across a great many boards on BF. Sweet FA and Paddocks & Plates

Uncle - was at times an eloquent passionate pain in the arse but you were ours and we loved you for it. Fly high Uncle and we'll see you next time around.

Given his admiration of the great Ron Clegg and it seems appropriate that we add Ron here for one last conversation.

1721636562175.png

Such sad news to hear about, condolences go out to his family and friends.

His love for the club was unmatched and his infuriating opinion of certain players was reflective of his belief that the club could always keep improving.

He was always forthright in his opinion and would always let you know what he thought.

His passing is a huge loss to not only this board and forum but also the club.

Hopefully he is catching up with Ron Clegg as we speak.

He would relentlessly rag on both my beloved teams (Carlton and SFA Dragons) to the point where I'd be waving rent-free Gifs in his face, but I never found him too mean spirited, just a passionate individual who loved to give as much as he would take.

Always felt like behind every bantery exchange he probably had a bit of a smile on his face and just enjoyed himself, even if was being a pain in the butt.

RIP Horry.

I remember when Sydney was playing Richmond, I was predicting that the Swans wouldn't be able to come back and he scoffed at it. When I rubbed it in after the siren he fronted up. It shows he was a man of integrity.

Looking back now I feel bad that I rubbed it in but I'm sure he loved the banter.

Grand Uncle Horace mate I'm at least glad that you were able to see the Swans at the top all year. We were both opposition supporters, but we both loved footy.

This one hit me hard I must admit.

R.I.P mate.

Last edited:
I'm quite upset about hearing this sad news about Uncle. :'(

Last month I was thinking of seeing if he was going to the 29 June Swans v Freo game at the SCG to see if he wanted to meet up with me (for the 1st time) to say hi if I ended up going to the game (I decided to just watch the game on Kayo instead).

He was a great BF Werewolf and BFA SFA Wonders teammate sport.
Just re-read a winning Mafia 2024 Mafia faction group chat that me and Uncle were in.

Don't know. what else to say except RIP Uncle.

Vale Grand Uncle Horrace

From his mentoring of me in WW & Qooty, he always got my jokes and I his, to my teasing him with how many people I could connect him to IRL (many, many), to his visiting 3KZ is Football and I on the RZSS thread on a Saturday morning for chatting about films and music and finding even more connections and stories of his past exploits, to him ribbing me about the Blues and discussing in many a DM the pros & cons of which place he wanted to buy in central Victoria to spend more time with the grandkids, to being a team mate at the Wonders, he will be missed.

It was an absolute privilige to have known and loved Grand Uncle Horrace, he was a champion.
My sincerest condolences to all his friends here and out there and all of his beloved family.

When I played this song below, here was his story, there was always a story:
"I met these two and others when the Penguins were in Oz In the early 90s. Not ashamed to say I tried (unsuccessfully) to chat up Annie. Lovely person and terrific trombone player. She and Ian got married and remain so after Ian had an op and gender reassigned 20 odd years ago. Great relationship story.
Here she is playing some jazz A couple of years ago.
Annie Whitehead " GUH

So for you dear Grand Uncle Horrace, here is to a life well lived, you will always shine.

One of a kind, and really upsetting news.

But I think it's clear from this thread and elsewhere that Horry had a big impact on a great many here.

Rest easy, GUH, and much love.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is with great sadness that I announce our Grand Uncle Horace has left us. He had been ill for some time and this battle was one he could not argue with... Well, he probably did - Uncle could and would argue with anyone about just about anything, but some debates cannot be won.

He was passionate about a great many things and would defend that which he loved long and loud. One of which was his beloved Bloods. An olde Souths Man to his very core he would often regal us with stories of watching South Melbourne greats at Lakeside Oval.

I caught up with Uncle a number of times over the years and recall when we convinced him to come to the G when instead of going home after drinks. Ben Ronke kicked 7. A great time was had I can tell you - Uncle gave the Hawk lads hell throughout the game.

There was never a moniker Uncle couldn't provide to a team that didn't defy linguistic interpretation - anything but their actual name. Especially Saints & North :tongueoutv1: He introduced me to words like: flogstradamus, Citizen Kane and comments like: This is less an advertisement for the game and more a tax deduction.

And god help the player he got a set on. He was diabolical.

He was active across a great many boards on BF. Sweet FA and Paddocks & Plates

Uncle - was at times an eloquent passionate pain in the arse but you were ours and we loved you for it. Fly high Uncle and we'll see you next time around.

Given his admiration of the great Ron Clegg and it seems appropriate that we add Ron here for one last conversation.

View attachment 2055872
Really sad to hear.
I got to know GUH on one the boards, I found him really good company.
Although not unexpected, still sad to hear.

RIP

Nobody pushed my buttons more than GUH I had him on ignore as his posting made me stay away from bigfooty for quite a while every time I’d take ignore off I’d be back to arguing with him so back to ignore he went.

Why say this ?

Well it’s self reflection on my own failures in life and that it’s more a reflection on me than it ever was on him. I actually sent out a request to see if anyone had heard from him when he seemingly went missing a year ago.

We both seemed to accept we didn’t see eye to eye but as a last sign of respect for the old guy I’ll put a ban on myself posting until the finals.

Rest in Peace Blue hair dye. You had my number and you get the final laugh as I feel like a right rat for being such a knob to you.

thoughts to those posters that he brought much fun too and his family.

Goodbye old mate

Buggar! Very sad news!

Condolences to family and friends.

Cranky, irritable, opinionated, passionate, staunch, lifelong, Bloods supporter.

Rest in peace, GUH! You will be missed...

SHAKE DOWN THE THUNDER!

I’m going to miss you in werewolf games Horry. Was a pleasure to banter with you over the years. RIP old mate.

One of the big characters of Bigfooty as well as the Sweet FA. He always told it how it was without resorting to personal attacks.

Always enjoyed bantering with him and tagging him in SFA threads to get him to come in and throw some grenades (which would often get a reaction).

Rest in peace mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mod. Notice Vale Grand Uncle Horace

Remove this Banner Ad

Back