Vale Jim Stynes, 1966-2012 - A champion/hero - Statue commissioned for MCG Avenue of Legends

Remove this Banner Ad

Rest in peace, Jim Stynes. A humble and courageous man who gave far more than anyone could have ever asked, both to sport and charity, and singled-handedly saved the Melbourne Football Club.

Whatever successes they have from now are his and his alone, and I hope his family and friends take solace in the fact that he now has the best seat in the house to watch them.

Was listening to Eddie McGuire on the radio this afternoon, who said something quite prudent - cancer didn't beat Jim, Jim beat cancer. It's true. He lived two years longer than expected, but more impressive than that is that he lived those two years. He refused to be bedridden, to seek pity, to let the illness dictate how he lived his life. To have achieved as much as he did, fighting how he was, is simply incredible, and puts a lot of things in perspective.

Thoughts and prayers are with Sam, Tiernan, Matisse, his friends and the MFC.

Vale Jimmy Stynes...why do the good die young?

Just bought my tickets to the Round 1 melbourne game...going to go wearing my essendon jersey with a melbourne scarf over it in respect of the legend that was Jimmy Stynes...

RIP Jimmy :(

Good idea, I'll do the same.

RIP Jimmy..you will be sorely missed forever, thinking of his family and what they must be going through to lose Jim Stynes the father and husband. Incredible human being and saviour of the MFC. He'll always be one of my heroes.

Can't remember the last time I cried until today.

Not quite sure what else to add, except thanks to the input of opposition supporters in this thread, some great tributes there. Goes to show the kind of person he was and legacy he's left.

Rest in peace Jim.

Posted this in another thread re a number of people pledging to become a member of the Dees due to his tireless work up until the day he passed:

I care only for MFC fans signing or re-signing in 2012 but I have to respect the declarations of many non MFC supporters who proclaimed that the effect that this man had on them in life & death would move them to buy a 2012 membership.

Class meets class.

Well done to anyone who does this.

Very sad day, even though deep down many knew this day may come it's still hard to believe. Felt shock go through me when it was announced on the radio.

A true champion on and off the field.

Condolences to the Stynes family and Jimmy finally you can rest in peace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did night shift and went to bed got up and here was the devastating news of Jimmy Stynes. My condolences to his family and friends also to all at the Melbourne footy club. This man touched many lives with his courage, humility and compassion. He talked the talk and walked the walk. A great great human being who has left us all so much richer for his presence in this world.

There are many superlatives with can be used towards this great man, but the one which sums him up in my opinion is 'courage'.

Courage - to leave his family, friends and home as a teenager and travel to the other side of the world for a challenge which nobody would have expected him to pass.

Courage - to take a punt and try out a new sport which he had never heard of, to put himself in this position where nobody had ever gone before.

Courage - to bounce back from the pain and humiliation of costing his team a fairytale Grand Final appearance by winning the games ultimate individual honour just four years later, and also becoming a numerous Best & Fairest winner, All-Australian and Victorian representative.

Courage - to play 244 consecutive games of senior VFL/AFL football, the most in the history of our great game, and to overcome numerous obstacles for 11 straight years (including one time where he suffered six broken ribs and fronted up for the Dees that very next week).

Courage - to take on the responsibility of saving the oldest football club from a slow and painful death, by becoming the President at our greatest time of need, and not only unifying the club but putting us back into a position where we can enjoy a long and fruitful future.

Courage - to start up the Reach Foundation and work with thousands of underpriveliged kids to help get their lives back on track.

Courage - to defy his illness and put in 110% effort to the Melbourne Football Club, including leaving hospital on several occasions to watch his beloved Demons at the MCG, attending club functions when he was supposedly on his death bed, and putting his heart and soul into the re-birth of the red and the blue.

Courage - to fight this deadly illness which was supposed to knock him down two years ago, however, Big Jim was too tough for that and he defied the odds to give his kids and family many more memories which they will forever cherish.

Jim Stynes, you are a true inspiration to us all. I've got no doubt that you're up there in heaven with your great mate Sean Wight, sharing a pint of Guiness (or cup of tea for Wighty), Demons scarf hanging around your neck and looking down upon us all with a giant smile.

RIP.

There are many superlatives with can be used towards this great man, but the one which sums him up in my opinion is 'courage'.

Courage - to leave his family, friends and home as a teenager and travel to the other side of the world for a challenge which nobody would have expected him to pass.

Courage - to take a punt and try out a new sport which he had never heard of, to put himself in this position where nobody had ever gone before.

Courage - to bounce back from the pain and humiliation of costing his team a fairytale Grand Final appearance by winning the games ultimate individual honour just four years later, and also becoming a numerous Best & Fairest winner, All-Australian and Victorian representative.

Courage - to play 244 consecutive games of senior VFL/AFL football, the most in the history of our great game, and to overcome numerous obstacles for 11 straight years (including one time where he suffered six broken ribs and fronted up for the Dees that very next week).

Courage - to take on the responsibility of saving the oldest football club from a slow and painful death, by becoming the President at our greatest time of need, and not only unifying the club but putting us back into a position where we can enjoy a long and fruitful future.

Courage - to start up the Reach Foundation and work with thousands of underpriveliged kids to help get their lives back on track.

Courage - to defy his illness and put in 110% effort to the Melbourne Football Club, including leaving hospital on several occasions to watch his beloved Demons at the MCG, attending club functions when he was supposedly on his death bed, and putting his heart and soul into the re-birth of the red and the blue.

Courage - to fight this deadly illness which was supposed to knock him down two years ago, however, Big Jim was too tough for that and he defied the odds to give his kids and family many more memories which they will forever cherish.

Jim Stynes, you are a true inspiration to us all. I've got no doubt that you're up there in heaven with your great mate Sean Wight, sharing a pint of Guiness (or cup of tea for Wighty), Demons scarf hanging around your neck and looking down upon us all with a giant smile.

RIP.

Well said some very kind words.

Jim Stynes really has touched so many people over the last few years. He has really been an insperational to so many. The Melbourne footy club was lucky to have a man of his calibre. He may be gone but his legacy will live for ever.

Opening tribute from AFL 360 tonight (theres the full extended version Im uploading now but it will take a while as it was half the program)

[youtube]dDsq0QbVlOg[/youtube]

great stuff mate :thumbsu:

thanks for the uploads.

Its pouring with rain outside and its symbolises how I feel right now. I can't believe how something we knew was coming still hurts so much and how someone you never met can touch you like Jimmy did - It hasn't sunk in yet :(

I was on the Overland heading home to Adelaide when I found out of his passing - I knew what was said the night before and I was hoping for a miracle but sadly it wasn't to be...or was it?

I feel that the real miracle is he was still around for longer than no one could of imagined and that we knew him in the first place. That he did come half way across the world on a wing and a prayer to try out a foreign game, had the courage of his convictions to stick around when he was lambasted for that error in 87 and stay when many who came with him went back. That he became the champion player who won the Brownlow and win us over in the process. To give everything to save his club, to give everything of himself to those who needed it and inviting us into his world when he was at his darkest moments just to give people he never met a chance to find inspiration.

To me THAT is the miracle and it always will be...

His Brownlow win was one of my earliest memories as a footy fan. I loved the way he played and how he showed incredible spirit to stick around when he was told to go back home. He change the game as he was the first of the mobile ruckman we see today. He blazed the trail for all of the Irish players who are here and will continue to come. As a lioness I have seen Pearce Handley and Niall McKeever come over and grow into the potential to become future club champions and to help us get back to the success we once had - that is because of Jimmy and I am indebted to him for that and grateful for him shaping how I love my footy.

His selflessness, his compassion, his strength and his humour is what I admire as a person. We can use the word 'champion' or 'great' or 'hero' or 'legend' but the truth is it is not enough - it doesn't do him justice....and nothing probably will. Born and Bred a Demon but now a Saint.

I have no idea how I will feel in round 1 when we meet again-but I do have one hope....that both teams pay with having spirit, commitment and passion - just like Jimmy did with his football and his life :)

If any Dees supporters were unsure of Mitch Clark still, and not sure whether his 'heart beats true' you have only gotta see the picture on the Herald Sun... This guy has only known Jim for 5 months and already is touched by him..

Mitch is a club man, and someone who you want playing at your footy club!

I was lucky enough to meet Jimmy maybe 10-15 times to get my jumper signed after Dees games in the rooms.. Very humble, sincere guy, who to me is a real model of humanity.

Hate the fact that he has passed so soon... but life is not always marked by time, but by your legacy.. Jim's legacy will live on for a very long time!!

If any Dees supporters were unsure of Mitch Clark still, and not sure whether his 'heart beats true' you have only gotta see the picture on the Herald Sun... This guy has only known Jim for 5 months and already is touched by him..

Mitch is a club man, and someone who you want playing at your footy club!

I was lucky enough to meet Jimmy maybe 10-15 times to get my jumper signed after Dees games in the rooms.. Very humble, sincere guy, who to me is a real model of humanity.

Hate the fact that he has passed so soon... but life is not always marked by time, but by your legacy.. Jim's legacy will live on for a very long time!!

Very well said, I don't believe that legacy will be limited to the Melbourne football club either but to the wider community of Australian football.
While I mainly remember him for his exploits on and off the football field as a true legend, his legend status appeared to be in all of the aspects of his life and his selfless work with the Reach group just goes to show what a man he was and will always be remembered as.
Rest In Peace big Jim

My sincerest & deepest condolences to Jimmy's family. I am very saddened to hear of the passing of such a great and brave man. I pray all the best for his children and wife, that they are comforted & strengthened in the days ahead.

R.I.P. Jim Stynes...:heart:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back